PDA

View Full Version : Borders previews new concept store

Haggis
02-15-2008, 12:20 AM
From the Ann Arbor News: (http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/02/borders_offers_preview_of_new.html)

Eighteen months after the idea was born, Borders Group Inc. (http://beta.bordersstores.com/online/store/Home) will open its first new concept store to the public Thursday.
The 29,000-square-foot store is not so different that you won't know you're in a Borders. But it's filled with new digital features unlike anything the $4.1 billion Ann Arbor-based bookseller has offered before - like a kiosk where customers can mix and burn CDs and a video conferencing device called the LongPen (http://www.longpen.com/) that lets an author sign a book electronically.The times, they are a-changing.

melaniehoo
02-15-2008, 12:30 AM
That sounds pretty cool.

cray
02-15-2008, 12:34 AM
very cool, haggis. thanks for sharing that link.

cray

Gravity
02-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Long Pen, that's what they call me. The ladies, at any rate...a-haw-haw-haw<---ZZ Top impersonation; ya like it?

Haggis
02-15-2008, 12:51 AM
And I get to go play there. It's just down the street. :D

cray
02-15-2008, 01:26 AM

well then, i'll be expecting an autograph
:D

JoeEkaitis
02-15-2008, 01:28 AM
LongPen looks like Telescribe and other long distance handwriting transmission technology that's been around since the 1940s.

And, yes, I AM kicking myself because I didn't think to combine it with video conferencing.

clockwork
02-15-2008, 01:40 AM
Yes, folks, the dazzling interface technology previously only enjoyed by the likes of KFC and Taco Bell has been brought to the world of celebrity-peon interaction. Now soceity's elite can entertain, humiliate and yell at members of the public, all from the comfort and safety of their own home. No longer do our beloved stars and artists need to travel tirelessly through foul metropoli to endorse their products and services. Now they can sign autographs and mix with the unwashed guttersnipes of the world, all whilst relaxing in a hot tub, exercising, mixing pina coladas or sitting around until 4PM in their pyjamas, hurling whiskey bottles and obscenities at the screen. The cops can't arrest you for that! And if it gets too much, all you have to do is pull the plug. So long, suckers!

And, coming soon - the digital scissors! A giant pair of spray-gold, novelty shears connected to a supercomputer that allows a celebrity or politician to effortlessly open a supermarket, community college, museum or orphanage, all without having to brave the elements or come face to face with the flu-choked peasantry that typically adorn such tiresome events.

Look out for our remote champagne bottle rockets in 2009 - perfect for launching ships and subs without getting salt water in your eye!

Woo-hoo!

(wonder if I could slip a money order/chasier's check under that machine without the author noticing?)

kristie911
02-15-2008, 01:45 AM

Do you have a guest room? I'm coming to visit you. :D

Haggis
02-15-2008, 01:55 AM
Do you have a guest room? I'm coming to visit you. :D

*starts to say something...thinks better of it...slaps himself in the face instead, thus saving kristie time...*

Maryn
02-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Chris, will you marry me? I'm sure my husband will understand.

Maryn, highly amused

kristie911
02-15-2008, 02:32 AM
*starts to say something...thinks better of it...slaps himself in the face instead, thus saving kristie time...*

You obviously don't know me very well.

:roll:

clockwork
02-15-2008, 02:37 AM
Chris, will you marry me? I'm sure my husband will understand.

Maryn, highly amused

Why, yes! We can shovel the drive-way together and then get drunk in the snow, making little ice tombstones to freak out the neighbours. :)

CBeasy
02-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Ahhhh, AW matchmaking is a beautiful thing!

On topic, this sounds like yet another reason to spend entirely too much time at the book store, though I'll always prefer the atmosphere at a small, used book store to the huge chain stores. There are some things that can't be replaced by six foot robots wondering around pushing frappaccinos.

SpookyWriter
02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Cool.

benbradley
02-15-2008, 07:35 AM
This burning-songs thing... "So far, Borders' library includes 2.4 million different songs..." I bet they're all stored as compressed mp3's (which if you've got a good ear have inferior sound to the original CD's they came from).

LongPen looks like Telescribe and other long distance handwriting transmission technology that's been around since the 1940s.

And, yes, I AM kicking myself because I didn't think to combine it with video conferencing.
Wow, that combo sounds so Innovative, it must have been Microsoft that thought it up...

Ahhhh, AW matchmaking is a beautiful thing!

On topic, this sounds like yet another reason to spend entirely too much time at the book store, though I'll always prefer the atmosphere at a small, used book store to the huge chain stores. There are some things that can't be replaced by six foot robots wondering around pushing frappaccinos.
Yeah, things like out-of-print books that I didn't know existed and that I Must Have...I don't dislike new bookstores but used bookstore often have a larger number of titles (perhaps because they usually have just ONE of each, instead of a half dozen copies of each new-in-the-last-three-months book).

Writer???
02-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Long Pen, that's what they call me. The ladies, at any rate...a-haw-haw-haw<---ZZ Top impersonation; ya like it?
No, cause it's 'A how how how" as heard here in La Grange,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE-o9OQJswY

and perhaps first known from John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOyj4ciJk34

But hey, nice try and if the ladies call you that, who cares about anything else right? :D