PDA

View Full Version : Studios are Run by thieves and Con Men

windyrdg
02-14-2008, 11:16 PM
If it sounds like I'm angry, it's because I am.

For those of you who didn't see it, Publisher's Lunch had a piece today about Deborah Gregory's CHEETAH GIRLS and how Disney has cheated her out of payment for all the movies, TV shows and branded merchandise.

Earlier this week they carried a similar article about the estate of JRR Tolkein. They're suing because they've never been paid a penny for the Lord of The Rings movies. (Of course they were all duds, so I guess that makes sense.)

What I've gleaned from this is that Hollywood likes to write contracts with the author getting a share of the net. This gives them the opportunity to cook the books and, Surprise!, LOTR never shows a profit.

A few years ago James Garner sued one of the studios over lack of payment for the Rockford Files. Seems they had expensed the development of other shows and all sorts of unrelated things to his account to avoid paying him.

While I don't support Clive Cussler in his studio suit, at least he had the good sense to get his money up front. I think that's our lesson: take the $ up front and, if you agree to a participation, make sure it's on the GROSS, not the net.

ColoradoGuy
02-14-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm moving this one to the movies forum.