Where should a new author promote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eboe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what or where I should post so I have a question. What or where do I as a new author go or do to possibly promote my book here or get a little notice maybe on the authors section, please as I am a new author excuse my enthusiam I am just hoping for a few answers. Thank You

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
If your book is in stores, it would make sense for you to go out and meet booksellers and promote it there. If your book is not in stores, the same advice aoolies, but with a view to getting stores to stock the book.

It won't sell unless readers can find it.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Ask stores to have you in for book signings. Some stores will advertise in advance and if it's in a shopping complex this can be very worthwhile. I ask the local papers to include the signing as a feature in the edition before I sign. Have eye-catching displays. The cover of my book is spectacular so I have a metre high poster of it on a stand next to my table. I keep standing next to a neat display of my book, I make eye contact, smile and have a brief spiel ready to capture the imagination of my victims. I'm lucky. My plot takes place, mainly, in England in Medieval times. I have borrowed a joupon (mail vest) and lay that on the table. It is a good drawcard.

Because my book is read by ages between 9 and 73, I give talks to young readers groups at libraries and writers groups. Because I'm ancient myself, I talk at service groups (National Seniors, Probus, Rotary etc). I don't charge for my talks but usually sell about fifteen books (big deal for me!).

I've given talks on a number of local radio stations and I'm always trying to get onto a TV talkback show. I ask people to provide me with reviews to use and most libraries holding my book I've sent the best of the reviews electronically. It can now be seen in their 'good reads' pages when searching the internet.

So aim your attack at the reading audience for your story. Because I've thoroughly studied the historical period of my action, I've emailed re-enactment groups telling about the book. I go to tournements and discuss their exibits and always carry a copy of my book with me - well, a few of them even.

to sell a book to him!And try to imagine who would like to read your story, where that person would be and set out to sell him a book!

Eboe

Registered
Reaction score
yeah Im doing all that, I meant here on absolute write

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
This is not really a site to promote books. It's a site to discuss writing and promoting and all the other stuff associated with writing and publishing. If you want ot promote your book online, that's done by blogs, online reviews, in chat rooms, on networking sites, etc.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I agree with John, you don't join AW to promote your work. If you do, people here can tell pretty clearly and don't take too kindly to it.

HOWEVER

If you would ALSO like to promote your book here, as well as hang out, learn some stuff and get to know some cool people, and want to let people know of your book's existence, you may want to put the image of the cover as either your avatar or in your signature line, possibly links to Amazon where people could buy it. There is also an AW library at the very top of the forum where you can post info on your published work.

But like I said above, this is a place to meet people and discuss writing. Don't expect people here to automatically buy your book or anything, that is only a nice plus if anything.

Eboe

Registered
Reaction score
Ok I understand, I have been a member here for a long time, a long time and was more interested in how to get on the authors forum and be listed there,

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Are you talking about the library forum? Because anyone can post there! Just do it! And in the meantime, like I already said, put some info into your signature line about your book. For an example, look at my signature!

Status
Not open for further replies.