I want a nice fountain pen.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Something ergodynamic, that won't give me writer's cramp.

Something that won't scratch up the page.

Something I can refill. Grr.

I'm not afraid to blow a little money on this. C'mon, everyone, show me your dream-pens. :)

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I've got quite a bundle. You can have mine if you want. We had to use fountain pens in primary and secondary school, part of our handwriting classes. In secondary school, was optional, but everyone used one for tidy writing and it streamlined across every subject in the end. I had a glow in the dark fountain pen. Yes. Pretty exciting huh. Never got used though.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Callalily - I'm curious as to your pick (your link took me to the Swisher homepage)

As far as fountain pens go...

<rubs hands together>

If you're looking for a pretty strict budget pen, I'd go with something in the Lamy Safari line (these are the plastic coloured ones - the Vista is the clear demonstrator in the same line, the Al-Star are the aluminum models). These are work-horse pens, damn near indestructible, with good nibs (these run a little wide, so go with the extra fine if you usually use a fine point). And for the price of $20-30 each (with convertor, for filling from an ink bottle) I've got a dozen or so.

Moving up in price a bit, the Waterman Phileas is another workhorse. I prefer the European model, the Kultur, which is a series of tinted transparent demonstrators, but, again, good nibs, reasonable prices.

If you're looking splurge a tiny bit, I highly recommend the Pelikan M200 series. The M200 itself is a great piston fill machine with some of the best nibs for under $100 or so. The M205 is the demonstrator model (it's great fun to be able to see the piston and the inner bits at work), while the M215 (my favourite in the line) is a coated brass model in three styles - great weight to it.

(If you don't mind a little searching, check Ebay for the Pelikan Go -- this was an entry level pen made in the late 90s and discontinued. They still show up on Ebay for $25 or so - a bargain for a great piston filler with a smooth-as-glass medium nib. I seem to have started hoarding them, for the not-far-off day when they're no longer so readily available).

Sticking with piston fillers, the Lamy 2000 is an almost perfect pen. Close to $100, it may be all that anyone would want in a fountain pen, with a utilitarian Bauhaus design and a great piston fill.

My new novel has been mostly written with the aforementioned Lamy 2000 and a Sailor M1911, a beautiful Japanese pen with a fine nib that moves like butter over the page... It's a dream. If it were a piston-filler, it would be perfect...

All of these (except the Go) are available at www.swisherpens.com - a highly recommended dealer. Better prices are available on some at www.oscarbraunpens.com -- Pam is a great lady to deal with.

And if you're looking for a way to waste a whole lot of time and spend a whole lot of money you didn't intend to, check out the forums at www.fountainpennetwork.com. Lots of experts there... And obsessives.

Please let us know what you decide on, and how it works out for you.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
I don't use an ergonomic pen, despite serious carpal tunnel problems. I use either a Pelikan broad nib or a Sailor Music nib and the sheer liquidity of the ink flow means I don't have to clutch the pen or press down on it to write. It's smooth and effortless, doesn't hurt my hand at all.

Oh, and Noodler's Eel ink is the best--slippery.