• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

PR help, ideas, suggestions...please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
Hey, y'all,

Okay, my first novel, which came out as an e-book quite some time ago now and which I've really kind of neglected since then, is now relevant to current issues, namely the same-sex marriage controversy. I have the feeling that with the right PR, it could do very well and maybe even find itself a more traditional publisher (it is also available in POD trade paperback at SynergEbooks).

The problem is that I know squat about PR. In fact, I probably am the most suckalicious person in the world when it comes to PR. Is there anyone out there willing to help me market this puppy and drum up the controversy that I know it's capable of drumming up and boost sales?

It's a romantic SF novel in which the protagonists come from variants of Earth. Our heroine is from "here", and our hero is from a parallel reality where homosexuality is the norm (and wasn't it fun finding out how reproduction works in his society) and his society is rabidly heterophobic to the point that if you ARE hetero and it gets out, it can get you killed in some ugly mob violence. And of course, Our Hero IS hetero.

When he gets zapped out of his world and plunked down in a nowhere place where he meets Our Heroine, he doesn't really know how to go about approaching her as his attraction grows. The main story is how they and a few others try to discover where they are and how to get home; his story is the changes and growth he goes through during the process.

Anyone? Anyone? I can send you the e-book copy to read. The first three chapters are on my webpage: http://www.cebarrett.com/angels1.htm

Thanks,

Torin

TurtleQT

good story

That sounds like such a good story, now im gonna look for it. It sounds funny and serious at the same time! There are so many people that make such a big fuss with sexual orientation ."digusting. I'm taking law class currently and my teacher mentions how its now specified in our charter, but it IS there beccause of the "IN PATICULAR." Especially with Canada's same-sex marriages in a few provinces; it'll be good for people. Good Luck with it.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Torin - I'm kind of new here, but there's a thread about self-publishing that has some info on PR in it too. Peter Bowerman, who's a well-known and well-respected guru on freelancing, publishing and other issues in the writing business, has a bunch of posts there. I said this there, but I'll put it here too - there's a woman named Judy Cullins who has a website and a lot of newsletters out there about how to promote yourself. Check it out at www.bookcoaching.com. A couple of others who posted to the self-pub thread I just mentioned had also heard of Judy and were very positive about her. Also, there are a lot of books out there about PR and self-promo for a book. Check a library's online catalogue, go to a half-price bookstore or check Amazon just to get titles. I'm sure Absolutewrite.com has some articles on it but also check www.fundsforwriters.com and www.writing-world.com. The latter site has a nice search engine that will help you find all articles about "promotion" or "public relations" or whatever you put in. Good luck!

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
Thank you, Turtle. :) When I wrote the book, I didn't intend to do anything particularly conscious raising, but when my hero said "Hey, this is what my world is like." I thought, "That's really a cool idea." and ran with it. My big happy making with it is that one test reader said although she didn't understand gays and lesbians, she could understand the hero and what he was going through, and my sister's b/f stopped making homophobic comments and jokes after he read it. For this reason, I think it could do very well out in the world. :) Wonder if I can get Oprah to read it.

Torin
http://www.cebarrett.com

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
Thanks, Mommie. I'll wander through those sites, too. This is my year to give it all I've got, even on those days when I feel like I have zero talent, zero skill and why bother? I hate those days, even though I know they'll pass.

Torin

Status
Not open for further replies.