Where do I put a long contribution to my book??

nancyadams

Registered
Reaction score
I have a contributor who has written something for my book and his work is definitely a plus to the book... but long--6292 words, which makes it as long as my longest chapter. I have put it in as as addendum rather than a chapter of it's own, since I cover a lot of the same material already in a chapter. His is just a different way of putting it all, with some additions. And again, it's good.

And I feel I have it in the right place in the book--as an addendum. There are 7 addendums--his is the longest, with the next one coming in at 3032 words, and the others much much shorter. But is it really ok for one of them to be THAT long? I would say that my addendums, references, glossary and index take up at least 1/4th of the book, but mostly because of his long one, added to the other. lol.

What are your thoughts?

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I have a contributor who has written something for my book and his work is definitely a plus to the book... but long--6292 words . . .

What are your thoughts?
What is the total word count, with all of the addenda?

What is the nature and purpose of the book?

How (and how well) do the addenda contribute to the purpose of the book? How essential are they to the book? How well do they fit in to the organizational scheme of the book? And for that matter, how and how well do they contribute to the saleability of the book, both to publishers and to readers?

How will royalties or other payments be handled for the work of those contributors?

Those are my thoughts . . . questions rather than answers.

--Ken

Last edited:

nancyadams

Registered
Reaction score
Total word count of book (health oriented) is approx. 60,000.
Total back matter (addendums, glossary, references) is approx. 20,000. Index has not been done yet, so that will add some to the 20,000..
Appendix with the addendums by themselves has a word count of 14,500.

The addendums do contribute well to the book, but are things like addresses, places, functions...and one of the two that are contributed..and the longest...is a Question and Answer format covering aspects of one chapter, and more.

No royalties go to the person who wrote the two long addendums.

What is the total word count, with all of the addenda?

What is the nature and purpose of the book?

How (and how well) do the addenda contribute to the purpose of the book? How essential are they to the book? How well do they fit in to the organizational scheme of the book? And for that matter, how and how well do they contribute to the saleability of the book, both to publishers and to readers?

How will royalties or other payments be handled for the work of those contributors?

Those are my thoughts . . . questions rather than answers.

--Ken

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Total word count of book (health oriented) is approx. . . .
Hmmmmm. Off hand, I can't see why that would not work, assuming it all hangs together into a whole.

--Ken

P.S. . . . that, of course, does not help you with the "where." From your brief description, I wonder whether it should be in two parts, one following the chapter in question and the other somewhere else in the book. In the abstract, it is hard to get a handle on how to arrange the content.

Last edited: