You won a free....!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've seen these emails or popups on websites that say, You've won a free 42" HDTV! Or whatever. I've generally regarded them as scams or as a way to get your information out there so you can be spammed.

I even told my son they were a scam when he thought he'd "won" a X-Box 360.

Now, knowing this, I got an email saying I could "test drive" a free Macbook Air. This is the brand new mac laptop that is about half an inch thick.

So, my brain shuts off and I go, *drool* and I click Hokay!

An hour and a half later I've signed up for information on new windows, new roofs, car insurance, and I joined the Columbia House DVD club and Disney's DVD club.

And I was still nowhere closer to getting my free freaking Macbook!

Now I'm getting the phone calls.

"You inquired about new windows?"

No! I didn't. I was trying to get a free Mac laptop and I only said I was because I wanted the Mac laptop. We don't need new windows!

I'm nothing if not honest.

I think what pisses me off the most is that after all that work, I never got the mac.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
An hour and a half later I've signed up for information on new windows, new roofs, car insurance, and I joined the Columbia House DVD club and Disney's DVD club.

And I was still nowhere closer to getting my free freaking Macbook!

Now I'm getting the phone calls.

"You inquired about new windows?"

No! I didn't. I was trying to get a free Mac laptop and I only said I was because I wanted the Mac laptop. We don't need new windows!

Bastid! I wasted a phone call on you? Just wait; your laptop is going to smell like the backside of my lap before I mail it.

Hmmph.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Any thread that mentions the backside of RT's lap should be locked.

That's it...I'm spending the rest of the day at LOLcats....

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Yeah, and those freaking ads always show up with their screaming yellow fonts on the BRIGHT RED background, surrounded "there's NO business like SHOW business!" flashing lights.

The not-so-subtle message seems to be, click this and you're fair game for all the car insurance, window treatment and pecker-enhancing spam in the known universe.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
The funny thing is, you willingly sign up for all this crap hoping that you get something. Maybe you do. I gave up when I got to the point where they wanted me to buy MORE stuff, as if joining two DVD clubs wasn't enough. So I don't really know if they ever really do come through with this "free" stuff.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
NEVER give out information (your own or someone you know - but you CAN make up RANDOM info) to unsolicited emails, or even banner ads.

I did one of thise "Are you a goth?" or whatever-it-was (Emo?) banner ad over the "Ads provided by Google and not endorsed by AW" disclaimer. I spent at least twice as much time opting-out of offers and making up a name and address and trying to the the form to accept it (so I could get the anwer emailed to a throwaway gmail account) than I did answering the quiz questions. It's always been this way on the Web, or has been for at least 11 years. There's lots of places you just don't want to click.
I think what pisses me off the most is that after all that work, I never got the mac.
Someone lied in an advertisement? Call the Better Business Bureau!!!