Has anyone tried The Macallan 18 year old Scotch whisky?

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering buying The Macallan 18 year old Scotch whisky as a Valentine’s Day gift, but I have yet to find someone who has actually tried it. Is there anyone here who can comment on the quality of this whisky? I am finding some mixed reviews online. Thanks in advance.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I've always found MacAllan to be an acquired taste... I prefer the 25 year old to the 18 .... but I prefer Highland Park and Talisker to MacAllan so what do I know :)

It depends how "educated" the recipient is. Are they a regular Scottish malt drinker? If not, they'll probably not know what they're getting.

Willie

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for replying so quickly. The recipient likes Glenfiddich and Glenlivet and will ask what single malts are available at a bar, so I would say he has a fairly adventurous (or at least curious) palate.

Velma deSelby Bowen

I miss the mountains....
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried it. My notes say that the Macallan 18 year Gran Reserva is better: smoother, richer, with more of a mouth-filling aroma. (I'm a big fan of Lagavulin and the older Highland Parks, if that gives you a sense of what I like, with one of my favorites being the Caol Ila Signatory Vintage.)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I expect if your friend likes Glenfiddich and Glenlivet, he'll like the MacAllan too. I'm partial to the Islays, but that might be too much for him right now.

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the insights. I opted for the Macallan 18 year Gran Reserva and Highland Park. That and some nice glasses and my Valentine's Day is wrapped up. I really appreciate all your input.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Malt whisky trivia for today

The idea for my novel, The Sirens (pictured in my avatar), came to me on a trip to the Talisker distillery. (and it's set on Skye)

The idea for my novel, Island Life, came to me on a trip to the Bowmore distillery.

The idea for my novel, The Book of the Dark, came to me on a trip to the Jura distillery.

... anybody seeing a pattern here :)

Willie

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Malt whisky trivia for today

The idea for my novel, The Sirens (pictured in my avatar), came to me on a trip to the Talisker distillery. (and it's set on Skye)

The idea for my novel, Island Life, came to me on a trip to the Bowmore distillery.

The idea for my novel, The Book of the Dark, came to me on a trip to the Jura distillery.

... anybody seeing a pattern here :)

Willie

It is reassuring that another author has followed my path!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
So did he like the scotch?

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
So did he like the scotch?

Loved it!:) -- I really appreciate that AW has so many people with great taste I could ask about this. A very happy Valentine's was had by all.