PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried The Macallan 18 year old Scotch whisky?

zenwriter
02-13-2008, 10:32 PM
I am considering buying The Macallan 18 year old Scotch whisky as a Valentine’s Day gift, but I have yet to find someone who has actually tried it. Is there anyone here who can comment on the quality of this whisky? I am finding some mixed reviews online. Thanks in advance.

williemeikle
02-13-2008, 10:36 PM
I've always found MacAllan to be an acquired taste... I prefer the 25 year old to the 18 .... but I prefer Highland Park and Talisker to MacAllan so what do I know :)

It depends how "educated" the recipient is. Are they a regular Scottish malt drinker? If not, they'll probably not know what they're getting.

Willie

zenwriter
02-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks for replying so quickly. The recipient likes Glenfiddich and Glenlivet and will ask what single malts are available at a bar, so I would say he has a fairly adventurous (or at least curious) palate.

Velma deSelby Bowen
02-14-2008, 12:45 AM
I've tried it. My notes say that the Macallan 18 year Gran Reserva is better: smoother, richer, with more of a mouth-filling aroma. (I'm a big fan of Lagavulin and the older Highland Parks, if that gives you a sense of what I like, with one of my favorites being the Caol Ila Signatory Vintage.)

Haggis
02-14-2008, 12:54 AM
I expect if your friend likes Glenfiddich and Glenlivet, he'll like the MacAllan too. I'm partial to the Islays, but that might be too much for him right now.

zenwriter
02-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Thank you everyone for the insights. I opted for the Macallan 18 year Gran Reserva and Highland Park. That and some nice glasses and my Valentine's Day is wrapped up. I really appreciate all your input.

Bmwhtly
02-14-2008, 05:27 PM
The Macallan (10yo at least) is more like Glenlivet than the peatier Talisker. Go on, and if he doesn't like it, we'll start bidding :)

williemeikle
02-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Malt whisky trivia for today

The idea for my novel, The Sirens (pictured in my avatar), came to me on a trip to the Talisker distillery. (and it's set on Skye)

The idea for my novel, Island Life, came to me on a trip to the Bowmore distillery.

The idea for my novel, The Book of the Dark, came to me on a trip to the Jura distillery.

... anybody seeing a pattern here :)

Willie

Haggis
02-14-2008, 06:38 PM

Willie

You spend a lot of time in Scotland? :Shrug:

davids
02-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Malt whisky trivia for today

The idea for my novel, The Sirens (pictured in my avatar), came to me on a trip to the Talisker distillery. (and it's set on Skye)

The idea for my novel, Island Life, came to me on a trip to the Bowmore distillery.

The idea for my novel, The Book of the Dark, came to me on a trip to the Jura distillery.

Willie

It is reassuring that another author has followed my path!

williemeikle
02-14-2008, 07:56 PM
You spend a lot of time in Scotland? :Shrug:

Only the first 49 years of my life :) I've only been in Canada 4 months.

Willie

IceCreamEmpress
02-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Only the first 49 years of my life :) I've only been in Canada 4 months.

Have you been to the Glenora Distillery (http://www.glenoradistillery.com/glenbreton.htm) in Nova Scotia yet? It's charming.

GeorgeK
02-18-2008, 04:31 AM
So did he like the scotch?

zenwriter
02-18-2008, 06:01 AM
So did he like the scotch?

Loved it!:) -- I really appreciate that AW has so many people with great taste I could ask about this. A very happy Valentine's was had by all.