The Beagle Won!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I was surprised when they said NEVER for the beagle. I thought they were a beloved American best-friend? Shows what I know. It was a beautiful beagle. I'll tell you what though... there was a judge who came close to dying when he didn't pick the damn Golden Retriever for best in group. I'm perplexed. The Golden should have won everything (says the disgruntled golden retriever owner). Beautiful beagle, though.

I thought the weimaraner was going to win.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love beagles! There's a beagle in my book.

I watched the show the night before last, and then again last night but only up through sporting dogs. I TiVoed the rest for tonight.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

Didn't see you, addict? You must have been off-stage in the oxygen tent?

As they pulled you out of the oxygen tent
You asked for the latest party
With your silicone hump and your ten inch stump
Dressed like a priest you was
Tod Browning's freak you was
Crawling down the alley on your hands and knee
I'm sure you're not protected,
for it's plain to see
The diamond dogs are poachers and
they hide behind trees
Hunt you to the ground they will,
mannequins with kill appeal

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Well I have a beagle... and she

Tore up my sectional couch, tore my screen house to shreds, and eats the other dogs sh*t. I am an animal lover, especially dogs, and I love her have had her for 14 years, but would I get another beagle? No... However I am glad the beagle won. Every dog needs to have it's day..

Oh I forgot to mention... she howls all the time and gets the other dogs barking..

She is beautiful though.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The beagle wins.
Spoiler! Curse you.

I still have to watch it. I want to see the pug, and the Newfoundland. They had Newfoundland, didn't they?

Joyce, I think the beagle's unique howl is called baying.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yep...the Newfoundland was beautiful. Man...I don't know what these people do to groom their dogs to perfection?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
lol. My neighbour had one and I looked after it. I was the neighbourhood dog walker, etc, etc. The newfie...BOO...was a big problem for them. He left PACKAGES all over the house until I dog whisperered him. Great dog...almost bowled me over every time I saw him.

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Huzzah for the beagle!

Hey, Devil, I have a beagle in my book too! Based on this enormous example, from my childhood:
pdretouched_sidebar.jpeg

Click here for an enlarged view:http://www.daviddepalo.com/_Media/pdretouched.jpg

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I was so POed when two poodles won. Those aren't dogs. Not when you have to take them to a hair stylist and put ribbons on them. Why can't they just trim them like the water spaniel?

But yay to Uno! As soon as they started to announce the 7 Best in Breeds and Uno was announced. I knew right then and there he was going to win. He just had something special about him, a vibe if you will.

Well I have a beagle... and she

Tore up my sectional couch, tore my screen house to shreds, and eats the other dogs sh*t. I am an animal lover, especially dogs, and I love her have had her for 14 years, but would I get another beagle? No... However I am glad the beagle won. Every dog needs to have it's day..

Oh I forgot to mention... she howls all the time and gets the other dogs barking..

Yeah, we had a beagle, too. Most annoying, destructive, stubborn dog I've ever owned. My parents gave it away. I won't have another in the house even though my wife thinks they're beautiful.

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I was so POed when two poodles won. Those aren't dogs. Not when you have to take them to a hair stylist and put ribbons on them. Why can't they just trim them like the water spaniel?

But yay to Uno! As soon as they started to announce the 7 Best in Breeds and Uno was announced. I knew right then and there he was going to win. He just had something special about him, a vibe if you will.

Do NOT get me started. I was ready to throw my toaster into my TV sceen if one of those humiliated pompoms won Best in Show! Ridiculous!!!!!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
When it comes to those dogs, it is my belief that they are judged purely on their perms, not on all the breed traits a good dog should be judged on.

The non-sporting group had so many beautiful dogs, the dal, the keeshond, the chow, heck, nearly all of them were better reps than the poodle.

And for the toy group? Please. The affenpincher, the brussels, the min-pin...

Grrr.

(Did I get you started yet?)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In defense of poodles, their ancestors were bred for hunting, believe it or not. That outrageous poofy haircut was designed both as a flotation aid and to keep particular parts warm while allowing the rest of the body to dry quickly.

Yes, that's right. Poodles were not only bred the way they are for hunting, but for going into the water. Which I can't see ANY pampered poodle doing these days. :D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, I've heard them try to justify the effeminate look.

As I said, explain the water spaniel, which is what a poodle looks like when you don't get it permed. They seemed to have done just fine as hunting dogs without the foo-foo puffs.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When it comes to those dogs, it is my belief that they are judged purely on their perms, not on all the breed traits a good dog should be judged on.

I've watched a few of these shows now, because my four-year old little girl loves them. Each breed is actually judge on specific breed characteristics, which the judges are looking for. Moreover, within each category are certain characteristics that all breeds in that category are expected to have - and then again the sub-divisions in each category, like the sight vs scent hounds in the hound category.

If you're really interested, I'd watch the shows an Animal Planet. Their commentators do a really good job of supplying all that information about each breed and category. Those judges have to know a lot of things about the dogs, and I don't know how they do it. :)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As I said, explain the water spaniel, which is what a poodle looks like when you don't get it permed. They seemed to have done just fine as hunting dogs without the foo-foo puffs.

But the poodles are FRENCH for pities sake - of course they have to be fashionable when they do it. :D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You're talking to someone who has been interested in Dog Shows and breed standards since I was young. I have a 1973 copy of the AKC Breed Standards and scads of other dog books. I know what they judge the dogs on.

As far as the poodle, if their perm has to do with hunting, why then are they in the NON-sporting group?