PDA

View Full Version : The Beagle Won!

DeleyanLee
02-13-2008, 08:05 AM
For the first time in its history, a Beagle's won Westminster Dog Show!

Snoopy would be so proud:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2008-02-12-uno-hounds_N.htm?csp=34

melaniehoo
02-13-2008, 08:06 AM
:snoopy:

Susie
02-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Hot dog! :)

joyce
02-13-2008, 08:20 AM
I was working and missed it, but I'm glad to see a Beagle finally won.

Christine N.
02-13-2008, 03:16 PM
GO Uno!

He's SO cute, I'm glad he won. Go Hound Group! (I used to show Borzois; all hounds are beautiful!)

KTC
02-13-2008, 03:21 PM
I was surprised when they said NEVER for the beagle. I thought they were a beloved American best-friend? Shows what I know. It was a beautiful beagle. I'll tell you what though... there was a judge who came close to dying when he didn't pick the damn Golden Retriever for best in group. I'm perplexed. The Golden should have won everything (says the disgruntled golden retriever owner). Beautiful beagle, though.

I thought the weimaraner was going to win.

Devil Ledbetter
02-13-2008, 03:55 PM
I love beagles! There's a beagle in my book.

I watched the show the night before last, and then again last night but only up through sporting dogs. I TiVoed the rest for tonight.

Haggis
02-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Arf.:D

KTC
02-13-2008, 04:08 PM
I TiVoed the rest for tonight.

The beagle wins.

KTC
02-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Arf.:D

Didn't see you, addict? You must have been off-stage in the oxygen tent?

As they pulled you out of the oxygen tent
You asked for the latest party
With your silicone hump and your ten inch stump
Dressed like a priest you was
Tod Browning's freak you was
Crawling down the alley on your hands and knee
I'm sure you're not protected,
for it's plain to see
The diamond dogs are poachers and
they hide behind trees
Hunt you to the ground they will,
mannequins with kill appeal

Joycecwilliams
02-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Well I have a beagle... and she

Tore up my sectional couch, tore my screen house to shreds, and eats the other dogs sh*t. I am an animal lover, especially dogs, and I love her have had her for 14 years, but would I get another beagle? No... However I am glad the beagle won. Every dog needs to have it's day..

Oh I forgot to mention... she howls all the time and gets the other dogs barking..

She is beautiful though.

Devil Ledbetter
02-13-2008, 04:48 PM
The beagle wins.Spoiler! Curse you.

I still have to watch it. I want to see the pug, and the Newfoundland. They had Newfoundland, didn't they?

Joyce, I think the beagle's unique howl is called baying.

KTC
02-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Yep...the Newfoundland was beautiful. Man...I don't know what these people do to groom their dogs to perfection?

Devil Ledbetter
02-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Yep...the Newfoundland was beautiful. Man...I don't know what these people do to groom their dogs to perfection?I grew up with a Newfie. We were in the whelping box together.

KTC
02-13-2008, 04:55 PM
lol. My neighbour had one and I looked after it. I was the neighbourhood dog walker, etc, etc. The newfie...BOO...was a big problem for them. He left PACKAGES all over the house until I dog whisperered him. Great dog...almost bowled me over every time I saw him.

Ziljon
02-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Huzzah for the beagle!

Hey, Devil, I have a beagle in my book too! Based on this enormous example, from my childhood:
http://www.daviddepalo.com/_Media/pdretouched_sidebar.jpeg

Click here for an enlarged view:http://www.daviddepalo.com/_Media/pdretouched.jpg

Jean Marie
02-13-2008, 07:27 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/344274/3_62_021208_uno.jpg (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330330,00.html#)
Here's Uno's adorable little face. What a fella.

Shadow_Ferret
02-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I was so POed when two poodles won. Those aren't dogs. Not when you have to take them to a hair stylist and put ribbons on them. Why can't they just trim them like the water spaniel?

But yay to Uno! As soon as they started to announce the 7 Best in Breeds and Uno was announced. I knew right then and there he was going to win. He just had something special about him, a vibe if you will.

Tore up my sectional couch, tore my screen house to shreds, and eats the other dogs sh*t. I am an animal lover, especially dogs, and I love her have had her for 14 years, but would I get another beagle? No... However I am glad the beagle won. Every dog needs to have it's day..

Oh I forgot to mention... she howls all the time and gets the other dogs barking..

Yeah, we had a beagle, too. Most annoying, destructive, stubborn dog I've ever owned. My parents gave it away. I won't have another in the house even though my wife thinks they're beautiful.

KTC
02-13-2008, 08:01 PM
I was so POed when two poodles won. Those aren't dogs. Not when you have to take them to a hair stylist and put ribbons on them. Why can't they just trim them like the water spaniel?

But yay to Uno! As soon as they started to announce the 7 Best in Breeds and Uno was announced. I knew right then and there he was going to win. He just had something special about him, a vibe if you will.

Do NOT get me started. I was ready to throw my toaster into my TV sceen if one of those humiliated pompoms won Best in Show! Ridiculous!!!!!

Shadow_Ferret
02-13-2008, 08:06 PM
When it comes to those dogs, it is my belief that they are judged purely on their perms, not on all the breed traits a good dog should be judged on.

The non-sporting group had so many beautiful dogs, the dal, the keeshond, the chow, heck, nearly all of them were better reps than the poodle.

And for the toy group? Please. The affenpincher, the brussels, the min-pin...

Grrr.

(Did I get you started yet?)

slcboston
02-13-2008, 08:52 PM
In defense of poodles, their ancestors were bred for hunting, believe it or not. That outrageous poofy haircut was designed both as a flotation aid and to keep particular parts warm while allowing the rest of the body to dry quickly.

Yes, that's right. Poodles were not only bred the way they are for hunting, but for going into the water. Which I can't see ANY pampered poodle doing these days. :D

Shadow_Ferret
02-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Yes, I've heard them try to justify the effeminate look.

As I said, explain the water spaniel, which is what a poodle looks like when you don't get it permed. They seemed to have done just fine as hunting dogs without the foo-foo puffs.

slcboston
02-13-2008, 08:55 PM
When it comes to those dogs, it is my belief that they are judged purely on their perms, not on all the breed traits a good dog should be judged on.

I've watched a few of these shows now, because my four-year old little girl loves them. Each breed is actually judge on specific breed characteristics, which the judges are looking for. Moreover, within each category are certain characteristics that all breeds in that category are expected to have - and then again the sub-divisions in each category, like the sight vs scent hounds in the hound category.

If you're really interested, I'd watch the shows an Animal Planet. Their commentators do a really good job of supplying all that information about each breed and category. Those judges have to know a lot of things about the dogs, and I don't know how they do it. :)

slcboston
02-13-2008, 08:57 PM
As I said, explain the water spaniel, which is what a poodle looks like when you don't get it permed. They seemed to have done just fine as hunting dogs without the foo-foo puffs.

But the poodles are FRENCH for pities sake - of course they have to be fashionable when they do it. :D

Shadow_Ferret
02-13-2008, 08:57 PM
You're talking to someone who has been interested in Dog Shows and breed standards since I was young. I have a 1973 copy of the AKC Breed Standards and scads of other dog books. I know what they judge the dogs on.

As far as the poodle, if their perm has to do with hunting, why then are they in the NON-sporting group?

Devil Ledbetter
02-13-2008, 09:04 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/344274/3_62_021208_uno.jpg (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330330,00.html#)
Here's Uno's adorable little face. What a fella.OMGZ, I'm in love!

KTC
02-13-2008, 09:07 PM
A beautiful beagle, yes. Wait until you see the prancing, Devil. Then you'll be gettin' on the turnpike and doing a late night b&e to make Uno yours.

slcboston
02-13-2008, 09:08 PM
You're talking to someone who has been interested in Dog Shows and breed standards since I was young. I have a 1973 copy of the AKC Breed Standards and scads of other dog books. I know what they judge the dogs on.

As far as the poodle, if their perm has to do with hunting, why then are they in the NON-sporting group?

Or for the love of... Sheesh.

Look, take a deep breath, have a dog biscuit or something, ok? :) I'm thrilled you're an expert, really, and in awe of your superior knowledge. :Hail:

Happy now? :) :flag:

And, I didn't say they were STILL hunting dogs, just that it was their original purpose. Since then they've become a non-sporting breed.

For the record, I don't like poodles, either, but I'm not just going to blindly denigrate something without attempting to understand why it is the way it is. But that's just my approach. Are we done now? Can we get back to the beagle? :snoopy:

CaroGirl
02-13-2008, 09:09 PM
My parents once owned a miniature poodle. It was the cleverest dog I've ever lived with (to its detriment, imo). They were, indeed, bred for hunting.

I was happy the year the Bichon Frise won. Lovely wee nippers, they are.

Devil Ledbetter
02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
A beautiful beagle, yes. Wait until you see the prancing, Devil. Then you'll be gettin' on the turnpike and doing a late night b&e to make Uno yours.You know, my brother-in-law is already worried that I'm devising plans to kidnap his adorable mixed breed pound rescue dog. I am actually, but I keep denying it.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/devilledbetter/cole.jpg

Shh. This dog and I have secret plans to run away together.

KTC
02-13-2008, 09:17 PM
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v77/24/32/591877020/n591877020_139372_2619.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=139373&id=591877020)

Yes. Everywhere I go, they try to steal Franny from me.

Shadow_Ferret
02-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Or for the love of... Sheesh.

Look, take a deep breath, have a dog biscuit or something, ok? :) I'm thrilled you're an expert, really, and in awe of your superior knowledge. :Hail:

Happy now? :) :flag:
Yes. You may kiss my ring.

KTC
02-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Yes. You may kiss my ring.

Clearly...some people have not yet realized your Emperor status. Poor misunderstood ferretface.

DeleyanLee
02-13-2008, 09:37 PM

She is beautiful though.

We have a pure bred beagle (pet quality, though he'd love being shown) too. He's 2. There's a couple things to remember about beagles, though: They have to have toys/something to chew or they get very destructive (as you found out). Ours has great fun with empty soda bottles (after we remove the label, etc), crunches them up. Great doggie toy--finished with it, it's still recyclable. About once a month or so we get him a rope to shred (takes him about 4 days) and that seems to satisfy his urge for fabric.

Before we remembered this fact, he ate my favorite overstuffed chair and a couch. We were NOT pleased.

As for the baying, beagles are bred to find/flush game and tell the hunter where it is so the hunter can shoot it. All the baying means is "I found it! There it is! Shoot it now!" Unless you train the beagle to find specific things (like dinner and someone at the door, which is what we did, and the assorted animals he finds in the yard), they will bay at whatever they think you need to know about. Dust mites, cars passing outside, whatever. Pack dynamics will often get other dogs echoing the announcement if you don't pay attention fast enough.

I've heard that eating his/her pack's droppings is actually a dominance thing. I've also heard that they do it so they won't leave trace of where the pack has been, though I don't really understand that concept. Whatever reason they do it, it means a good toothbrushing afterwards 'cause that's just gross.

Given the way life is going, I will probably never own another dog after the ones we have are gone, but if I decide to, I'd probably give another beagle at least a thought. They're great companion dogs and I don't have much trouble with dealing with their particulars.

KTC
02-13-2008, 09:52 PM
My Franny only eats her food. Perhaps we're missing something?

Ummm. Maybe I should clarify. Her food and the odd stick. (-; (photographic evidence seen above.)

DeleyanLee
02-13-2008, 10:01 PM
My Franny only eats her food. Perhaps we're missing something?

Count yourself as lucky and don't look.

Serenity
02-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Yep...the Newfoundland was beautiful. Man...I don't know what these people do to groom their dogs to perfection?

One thing a lot (if not all, though not completely sure about the 'all' part) show breeders do to maintain their dog's coat is to keep their houses cool to cold all year round, it keeps the coat thick and full. Then brush, brush, and brush some more.

I like heat, sorry. :D

Beagles are cute, but as many have said can be very destructive if not given an outlet. My mom's Border Collie is much the same way. She started doing agility with her for the sake of her furniture and both of them are now hooked.

Shadow_Ferret
02-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Ours has great fun with empty soda bottles (after we remove the label, etc), crunches them up. Great doggie toy--finished with it, it's still recyclable. Aren't you worried he'll cut himself on the plastic or swallow it?

Our Jack Russell is a chewer. Maybe we need to give him some soda bottles.

DeleyanLee
02-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Our late lab/dobe mix greatly enjoyed playing with the 2-liter variety. They're great fetch toys and it's more of a game-toy than just a chew toy. Yeah, it gets gnawed on, but with minor supervision, soda bottles have not been a problem for several dogs in 15 years. *shrug*

DeleyanLee
02-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Oh, and before someone asks, we had the lab/dob put down when he was 16 after his spine had fused solid and he could no longer stand. He was in so much pain, he was no longer the dog he'd been even the day before.

The vet assured us that it had nothing to do with chewing on soda bottles most of his life.

Christine N.
02-13-2008, 11:53 PM
My sister has a beagle. Not destructive, hardly ever barks, but he's got these terrible allergies. He takes like four different pills and has to be washed with special shampoo, or else he chews himself raw.

He's seven, and still a pretty swell dog.

Back in my dog show days (ugh, lemme tell ya, those are LONG days - up at the crack of dawn, making sure your dog doesn't make herself dirty before call...) I worked in a kennel and the owner had standard poodles. She kept them clipped more like water spaniels, only shaved them for shows.

The big variety are pretty nice dogs. Then again, I like big dogs, as you could probably tell since I showed big giant wolfhounds. Now I have a big giant Rotti/Shepherd mix, who does a wonderful job keeping his part of the floor warm.

Shadow_Ferret
02-13-2008, 11:57 PM
I worked in a kennel and the owner had standard poodles. She kept them clipped more like water spaniels, only shaved them for shows.

The big variety are pretty nice dogs. Then again, I like big dogs, as you could probably tell since I showed big giant wolfhounds. Now I have a big giant Rotti/Shepherd mix, who does a wonderful job keeping his part of the floor warm.
Unshaved poodles are actually very attractive. They look like respectable dogs.

And yeah, I'm a big dog lover, too. Although my dal/lab mix keeps my BED warm. What's the point in warming the floor? ;)

Oberon
02-14-2008, 12:32 AM
At cat shows they have a "Household Pet" category for non-pedigree cats. Seems to me it would be a good idea to do the same for dogs. Give mutts a chance for glory! It could help get some of those beauties out of the shelters.

Shadow_Ferret
02-14-2008, 01:33 AM
At cat shows they have a "Household Pet" category for non-pedigree cats. Seems to me it would be a good idea to do the same for dogs. Give mutts a chance for glory! It could help get some of those beauties out of the shelters.
Personally, I think that's rather silly. What category do you put mutts into? What is the criteria to judge them with? What standards? What size, color, shape, etc?

It's NOT a beauty contest. Its a show to determine which animal best conforms to the standard for their breed.

DeleyanLee
02-14-2008, 04:34 AM
My sister has a beagle. Not destructive, hardly ever barks, but he's got these terrible allergies. He takes like four different pills and has to be washed with special shampoo, or else he chews himself raw.

Has he been tested for food allergies? I had a dog who had the same kind of symptoms and it turned out that he was allergic to wheat. Once we got him off that, he didn't have any more problems at all.

Just a thought.

Komnena
02-14-2008, 05:04 AM
There aren't any standards for mixed breed cats. The judges pick the winner for whatever reason they want.
I saw the beagle and he is cute, even if I do usually cheer for the Doberman.

DeleyanLee
02-14-2008, 05:36 AM
Oh, that Dobie was so beautiful! She just flowed, she was so graceful. She was my favorite and I was irked when she placed second.

Beautiful beautiful dog.

(I own a mutt--a beagle/whippet/german shepherd mix)

Shadow_Ferret
02-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Oh, that Dobie was so beautiful! She just flowed, she was so graceful. She was my favorite and I was irked when she placed second.

Beautiful beautiful dog.

(I own a mutt--a beagle/whippet/german shepherd mix)
Yes, beautiful. I had a dobe once and I'm a little prejudiced. But she was very sleek. I don't begrudge the Akita, that was a beautiful dog, too. Sometimes I think the best of breed judges have the hardest job, choosing from all those great dogs (minus the poodle). :D

AmyDoodle
02-18-2008, 07:02 AM
And yeah, I'm a big dog lover, too. Although my dal/lab mix keeps my BED warm. What's the point in warming the floor? ;)

Best kind! We call ours a Dalmador Labmation--he has his own love seat for sleepy times. I'd love to see your guy. Ours is mostly black with a small sprinkle of spots on his chest.

But guess what! I got to meet Uno today! He was a guest at our local show (Greenville SC). They trotted him around the ring and let him do his signature AR-ROOOOO! It was right before Best in Show Judging, so the place wasn't too packed and I went over to give him an ear scritch. He's a regular guy--flirtin' with the girls to see if anybody would give him a treat. Absolutely adorable!