Medical question-Can someone die from shock and be revived?

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Hi! I'm writing a horror comic, and even though it's a comic book I want my logic to be somewhat believable. If you have any knowledge of medicine or just want to comment, I would greatly appreciate it.

I guess I'll just lay out my idea plainly: a young boy (seven-years-old) gets his eyes stabbed out by his father. Neighbors, hearing the commotion and already suspicious about the dad, call the cops. Ambulance arrives but the boy has already lost a lot of blood and is going into shock. He actually dies, but the paramedics are able to re-start his heart and get him to the hospital. (The boy later grows-up to be haunted by his own ghost).

Is this a realistic situation (and I mean the going into shock and revival, not the ghost part ;) )? Am I missing anything that would give it more credibility?

Thanks a lot!

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Hi! I'm writing a horror comic, and even though it's a comic book I want my logic to be somewhat believable. If you have any knowledge of medicine or just want to comment, I would greatly appreciate it.

I guess I'll just lay out my idea plainly: a young boy (seven-years-old) gets his eyes stabbed out by his father. Neighbors, hearing the commotion and already suspicious about the dad, call the cops. Ambulance arrives but the boy has already lost a lot of blood and is going into shock. He actually dies, but the paramedics are able to re-start his heart and get him to the hospital. (The boy later grows-up to be haunted by his own ghost).

Is this a realistic situation (and I mean the going into shock and revival, not the ghost part ;) )? Am I missing anything that would give it more credibility?

Thanks a lot!
It's not really credible (not that it needs to be) because near death from blood loss severe enough to stop the heart of a 7-year-old (and they have amazingly strong hearts) really would take replacement of blood volume to reverse, and by the time the heart's stopped it would be too late to do that.

Last edited:

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
How about slipping in a concussion?

No pun intended there.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
I'm w/ CG.
When I saw your thread title, I was zipping over to tell ya, absolutely. Electric shock stopping the heart? I can restart that with a LifePak right now. And when I saw your victim was 7, I thought, even better. Kids restart like a dream because their hearts are so healthy. Then I read you want the death from hypovolemia.

Two problems- you'd need to essentially exsanguinate a kid to get the heart to stop. (A bled-out person really doesn't get fixed in the field at all, nor in the ER. That's a emergency surgery situation and unless the person got to surgery awfully fast, with exceptionally good support in the intervening minutes, then it's just too late.) Also, the site, while the eyes have a nice blood supply (the dad here is obviously monkeying shallowly with the knife, or he'd be in the kid's brain), it is not the kind of blood supply that particularly scares us as a potential severe hemorrhage, just not in the league of major arteries.

If he gets revived, can he be a ghost? Maybe you want him more deadish?
Dad sounds like a peach! Can't he slice his kid's neck, sever a carotid? Then, if ya still need the eyes gouged out, have at it. Kid wouldn't like to hold still for the eye poking anyway. O rif you really want the kid to be medically revived after a near-fatal assault, how's 'bout brain injury from a thwack on the noggin?

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
> a young boy (seven-years-old) gets his eyes stabbed out by his father. Neighbors, hearing the commotion and already suspicious about the dad, call the cops. Ambulance arrives but the boy has already lost a lot of blood and is going into shock. He actually dies, but the paramedics are able to re-start his heart and get him to the hospital. (The boy later grows-up to be haunted by his own ghost).

Eye gouging of itself doesn't lead to extreme loss of blood. The eyes are fed by very tiny blood vessels, a bit larger ones to the lids and muscles but none of them--when cut will result in loss of blood to lead to fainting let alone extreme low blood pressure from low volume. The boy may die of shock from the extreme pain. Just get a hair or grit in your eye and it drives you bugfug.

Since the boy is revived--and hauntings are usually visual, he won't be able to see his ghost since he has no eyes. If they are gouged out there's nothing to replace with today's medicine--which can do cornea transplants but not the whole eyeball/muscle/nerve to the occipital lobes of the brain.

This would have to be an audio haunting--very rare.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
It is believable in the sense of the kid having a near death experience from low blood volume, but really only if he codes in the presense of the paramedics AFTER they've got IV access. Trying to put an IV in someone who is hypovolemic is bad enough, but a kid...not likely. Also, what is dead and having a near death experience are different things. One can have a near death experience without being "technically dead". He doesn't really need to code. Also I can say from personal experience that a couple seconds here can be a lot longer there. Time is meaningless there. He could have a barely registerable blood pressure or even something like...

"What's his pressure?"
"I don't get one."
Is he breathing? He's unresponsive, but his pupils react."
I'm bagging him on 100% O2. Breath Sounds are good and equal. I don't hear his heart, but there's a tracing on the monitor. I'm pushing the IV fluids."
"Hey it looks like he's starting to move."