PDA

View Full Version : Dorks Unite

JoNightshade
02-13-2008, 03:03 AM
I just sold my old iPod on Craigslist. I met the dude who bought it from me outside my apartment. He went to hand me the money... I thought we were making introductions so I grabbed his hand and shook it... But he was actually getting out his money... I could tell he was like "Uhhh, okay... Weirdo..." He left really quick. It wouldn't have been so bad except that I totally just reached out and took his hand. I'm SO BAD AT READING SIGNALS FROM PEOPLE!

Please, PLEASE tell me about some dorky things you did so I don't feel like such an idiot.

Rolling Thunder
02-13-2008, 03:05 AM
You'll have to wait until I stop laughing...

JoNightshade
02-13-2008, 03:07 AM

:cry:

JLCwrites
02-13-2008, 03:07 AM
:roll:

Too many to count. But I am always frazzled when I take the kids with me on errands.. and usually, when the cashier asks me for my zip code, or some other number.. I have a total brain freeze and forget what it is. (Now I have reached a point when I just don't care anymore.)

Devil Ledbetter
02-13-2008, 03:28 AM
I post on internet boards.

underthecity
02-13-2008, 03:32 AM
I inquired about the Secret Mod Meetings.

allen

Salem
02-13-2008, 03:35 AM
I admit to communicating with III.

Rolling Thunder
02-13-2008, 04:00 AM
I laugh at dorks.

truelyana
02-13-2008, 04:01 AM
I haven't got a clue what a dork is, but I understand it's an AW birthmark.

Salem
02-13-2008, 04:02 AM
You don't need to know what exactly what it is, true. Just know that you are in the right place.

JoNightshade
02-13-2008, 05:01 AM
Well, you guys aren't making me feel any better at all. Hmph!

I think I'm over it, though. I just thought, at least I'm not as dumb as the two teenagers I was standing in line behind last night. They paid for an $8 purchase in pennies. That wouldn't have been so bad except that they did it by stacking the pennies in five-penny piles and then proceded to forget how much they had counted up every time they reached 2 or 3 dollars. (I was starting to wonder if we were on Candid Camera.)

writerterri
02-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Tch. Dorks.

Me. Never.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_116.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762YYUS)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZNxmk762YYUS (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb114_ZNxmk762YYUS&utm_id=7922)

caromora
02-13-2008, 05:23 AM
I once got gasoline and drove off without removing the nozzle from the tank of my car... :eek:

And we had an ice storm last night. This morning while walking my dogs, I slipped and face-planted on the sidewalk right in front of the mailman, who could barely stop laughing long enough to put the mail in my box.

JoNightshade
02-13-2008, 05:32 AM
:roll: Okay, NOW I feel better.

Dorks.

Writer???
02-13-2008, 05:57 AM
I just sold my old iPod on Craigslist. I met the dude who bought it from me outside my apartment. He went to hand me the money... I thought we were making introductions so I grabbed his hand and shook it... But he was actually getting out his money... I could tell he was like "Uhhh, okay... Weirdo..." He left really quick. It wouldn't have been so bad except that I totally just reached out and took his hand. I'm SO BAD AT READING SIGNALS FROM PEOPLE!

Please, PLEASE tell me about some dorky things you did so I don't feel like such an idiot.

Ditto.
Sss..........sorr...........yyhehehehehe :ROFL:,You're on your own on this one. :roll:

But hey, it just shows how open and friendly you are, nothing to be asha...hahahahaymed of...oh nevermind. I tried. :D

ErylRavenwell
02-13-2008, 05:59 AM
It's not a dork thing, but I sometimes give strangers (even smiling women) a hard look when they unexpectedly make eye contact with me longer than usual. I don't know why I do it, but the effect is dramatic and the person opposite seems to melt away in shame; and I'm like "wtf is wrong with you?", inwardly to myself, "can't you just smile?" It's contrary to what I feel inside. I must have been a wolf or something in my previous life. Some habits die hard. :D

JoNightshade
02-13-2008, 06:59 AM
It's not a dork thing, but I sometimes give strangers (even smiling women) a hard look when they unexpectedly make eye contact with me longer than usual. I don't know why I do it, but the effect is dramatic and the person opposite seems to melt away in shame; and I'm like "wtf is wrong with you?", inwardly to myself, "can't you just smile?" It's contrary to what I feel inside. I must have been a wolf or something in my previous life. Some habits die hard. :D

Oh man, I would totally die if someone did that to me. It's hard enough for me to make eye contact as it is. If someone glared at me when I worked up the nerve... well... haha.

ErylRavenwell
02-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Oh man, I would totally die if someone did that to me. It's hard enough for me to make eye contact as it is. If someone glared at me when I worked up the nerve... well... haha.

I know; it's socially awkward, and worse, I don't mean to look at them that way. It's unconscious.

Susie
02-13-2008, 08:23 AM
I once saw an acquaintance and congratulated on her being pregnant. She was still thin but her belly was big. You can imagine my red face when she said, "Oh, I'm not pregnant, just fat!" PS congrats on selling your ipod, Jo and that wasn't so bad what happened. :Hug2:

Pat~
02-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Okay, Jo, here's one for you. Once, as a very nervous and shy teenager (trying to overcome her shyness) I went up to an acquaintance and had the following brilliant exchange:

Pat: Hi, _____, how are you?

Acq: Just fine, Pat. How are you?

Pat: Fine; how are you?

paprikapink
02-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Okay, Jo, here's one for you. Once, as a very nervous and shy teenager (trying to overcome her shyness) I went up to an acquaintance and had the following brilliant exchange:

Pat: Hi, _____, how are you?

Acq: Just fine, Pat. How are you?

Pat: Fine; how are you?

You've done that once? Happens all the time. And on the phone -- when to say "Thanks" and when to say "Bye!" and stepping on the other person's turn...

paprikapink
02-14-2008, 12:27 AM
I once got gasoline and drove off without removing the nozzle from the tank of my car... :eek:

Yup. Done that. With my kids in the car. At a gas station where they were remodelling so there were a buncha worker guys all over the place, and the station is right across from the middle school, which was just letting out. By all means, if you're going to do this one, do it when forty 13-year-olds are near by.

paprikapink
02-14-2008, 12:28 AM
... least I'm not as dumb as the two teenagers I was standing in line behind last night. They paid for an $8 purchase in pennies. That wouldn't have been so bad except that they did it by stacking the pennies in five-penny piles and then proceded to forget how much they had counted up every time they reached 2 or 3 dollars. (I was starting to wonder if we were on Candid Camera.)

It does sound like they were on something, but I don't think it was Candid Camera.

writerterri
02-14-2008, 12:28 AM
I've said "thanks you" to people before when I meant to say "thank you."

writerterri
02-14-2008, 12:31 AM

And we had an ice storm last night. This morning while walking my dogs, I slipped and face-planted on the sidewalk right in front of the mailman, who could barely stop laughing long enough to put the mail in my box.

Three times now I've paid for gas and drove off without pumping. Can you imagine what I have to say when I drive back in the station to pump my gas.

:roll:

"I had an emergency call but they changed their mind. I'll pump now."

Pat~
02-14-2008, 12:36 AM
You've done that once? Happens all the time. And on the phone -- when to say "Thanks" and when to say "Bye!" and stepping on the other person's turn...

Lol, well I learned that the odds of this happening again go down if I wait for the other person to say hi first.

Of course, that's not the friendliest strategy...

paprikapink
02-14-2008, 12:46 AM
I've said "thanks you" to people before when I meant to say "thank you."

Oh good cod, there's another one. Saying "You're welcome" when I mean "thank you" and vice versa.

Sheesh. I think I'm winning on most dorkiest things. Who's got the scorecard? And what's my prize?

Serena Casey
02-14-2008, 01:54 AM
I hate it when I accidentally say "I'm fine" before the person has asked how I am.

JoNightshade
02-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Oh good cod, there's another one. Saying "You're welcome" when I mean "thank you" and vice versa.

Sheesh. I think I'm winning on most dorkiest things. Who's got the scorecard? And what's my prize?

I do this ALL THE TIME.

"Hi, what's up?"
"Fine, thanks!"

"Have a good [Insert something specific to my life, ie "trip".]"
"You too!"

"Have a good day!"
"You're welcome!"

paprikapink
02-14-2008, 03:10 AM
"Hi, what's up?"
"Fine, thanks!"

"Have a good [Insert something specific to my life, ie "trip".]"
"You too!"

"Have a good day!"
"You're welcome!"

:ROFL::roll:

jannawrites
02-14-2008, 03:22 AM
Oh, I SO have dork covered...

I was dressed in MomWear: red terrycloth capris and a white t-shirt (no, um, brasseire, so the girls were hangin' loose), my hair a mess, a funny contraption on my head (basically, an icepack strapped on with a headband) for the migraine I was trying to get rid of (I'll explain it if you're really interested). I was vacuuming. I sensed the kitchen door, from which I was in plain sight, had opened. Thought it was misterwrites returning from work. Looked up excitedly, only to spy the teenage boy who works for us on occasion; he'd come for some paperwork. Since I hadn't heard him knock over the sound of the vacuum, he'd wandered right in (normally it'd be okay, he's a decent kid)... and got an eyeful of me not looking so hot. *sigh* Fortunately he was as embarrassed as I and hightailed it outta there pretty.darn.quickly. Oh man, oh man, I'm a D O R K .

Kerr
02-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Jo, I have trick ankles, so I can't tell you how many times I've just fallen right in the middle of people. One minute I'm there talking, the next I'm gone. Probably the worst of these scenario's was in high school (of all places). My friend was dragging me down the mobbed hallway to a pep rally meeting, when all of a sudden she screamed, let go of me and disappeared. Of course I was looking for her when I slipped and went down, right through the biggest pile of barf I've ever seen in my whole life. My books, everything went in. I was gagging and slipping so bad I could hardly get up. Everyone else, I mean everyone, was laughing too hard to help. It was like the scene of an accident. People were pushing to get a look.

Second worst time was on Homecoming night at the restaurant. It was a different friend. I left her at the table with her boyfriend and went to get the car with mine. But I left my dance remembrances on the table, tripped over the door sill going back and slipped onto my knees and right down the middle isle of the restaurant. They said it looked like I was praying, except my eyes were bulging.

It's been a loong time, but I'm betting if anyone's in here that I went to school with, they're laughing their ass off right now, because they know who I am. What a claim to fame.

Kevin Yarbrough
02-14-2008, 09:18 AM
but I sometimes give strangers (even smiling women)...

When I make eye contact with smiling women I usually lift a brow and say "How you doin'?" Funny thing is they never tell me.

As for dorky things I have done? This weekend I was getting a bag of IV fluids for a patient and dropped it. When I went to snatch it out of the air with reflexes of a cat I relaized my cat-like reflexes were a bit slow and missed the bag but hit myself in my southward right hanging buddy. Took me a minute to catch my breath as the other nurses were laughing at me. When I looked up I saw one staring at me "How you doin'?"

althrasher
02-14-2008, 09:24 AM
A friend and I pulled into a gas station on "e". It had iced about an inch, so we did our best to scrape the ice off the gas tank so it would open. (It was HER car, btw.)

So we scrape and scrape and try again. Nothing.

So we scrape and scrape and try again. Still no luck.

And now we're freaking out. We try pulling on it at the same time as hitting the button, prying it open, warming it up with hot-hands...nothing. What do you do when you're out of gas and your gas tank won't open? We were very stuck.

Until we realized...we were pushing the trunk open button. Oops. The gas station attendant had a great laugh at our expense.

writerterri
02-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Jo, I have trick ankles,

Don't tell Robaeiaieieiei...

DaddyCat
02-14-2008, 09:08 PM
I crammed a lifetime of dorkitude into one day, namely my wedding day:

- forgot my vows, had to be reminded by the priest;
- stepped off the altar to begin the procession, prior to kissing my new wife;
- went through entire ceremony with huge cowlick hanging down my forehead;
- at the reception, tried to cut through the plastic cover bracing the bottom level of the wedding cake.

All above moments captured on video, thus comprising my Master's thesis in Dorkology.

Stew21
02-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Just now, at work, I was in the elevator by myself and my sock was slipping down so I was pulling it up, and started to lose my balance so I was pulling up my sock and hopping to keep my balance when the elevator stopped on my floor. The elevator is shaking, I'm hunched over pulling on my sock, hopping on one foot. Elevator door opens and a man is standing there doing his best not to laugh at me - wondering what the hell I could be doing in that elevator.
I straightened up, walked past, and as soon as the doors closed behind him I died laughing.

What. A. Dork.

KTC
02-14-2008, 09:18 PM

What a loser.

I walk into walls. All the time. And doorframes. And people. As a matter of fact, I once said, "Excuse me" to a doorframe when there were plenty of people around to hear me. A line of people at the DMV where I was going to get my licence renewed.

Does that make you feel better?

Shadow_Ferret
02-14-2008, 09:18 PM
At least I can blame my social ineptitude on my poor hearing. I have trouble distinguishing the human voice when there's too much peripheral noise.

I don't go to Subway sub shops any more because as they make it, they ask you what you want on it, like, "Do you want blahblahbalh on it?" And I just sort of nod and go, "um, ok." Then I'll get the sandwich and it has anchovies on it with a garnish of metal filings or something.

I was in a restaurant and the waitress asked me, "Do you want soup or salad?" And I heard "supersalad." So I says, Yes. Thinking, who wouldn't want a supersalad? "Which?" What? "Soup or salad?" Yes. Until my wife finally goes, "DO YOU WANT THE SOUP? OR DO YOU WANT THE SALAD? SHE'S GIVING YOU TWO CHOICES."

Cripes, woman, I'm not deaf.

KTC
02-14-2008, 09:25 PM
I prefer supersalad over mediocresalad ANY day.

Shadow_Ferret
02-14-2008, 10:38 PM
I don't like okra, thanks.

dobiwon
02-14-2008, 10:48 PM
OK, I'll try to keep it short, but I'm not making any promises:

On my way to work yesterday (my birthday), I thought how everytime anyone in my group has a birthday, someone comes to me to schedule a group meeting for some obscure purpose, so we can have donuts, cake, cookies, etc. I thought, how lame that people fall for that time after time.
Then mid-morning, one of my group came into my office and asked me to come into one of the small conference rooms to look over some paperwork I had asked them to do. Not only did I go without a second thought, as we approached the room and I saw the rest of the group in there around a tray of blueberry and chocolate muffins, my only thoughts were: 1) why is everyone else here? and 2) how can they get any paperwork done with those muffins in the way?

KTC
02-14-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't like okra, thanks.

Yeah. Me neither. I think Oprah got way to big for her britches if you ask me.

Shadow_Ferret
02-14-2008, 10:58 PM
her britchesThat's no way to talk about her female viewers.

KTC
02-14-2008, 11:00 PM
That's no way to talk about her female viewers.

Fewer females would be bad.

Shadow_Ferret
02-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Fewer females would be bad.
I don't know about that. Sometimes brevity is called for. Readers get bored if you get too detailed.

Jersey Chick
02-14-2008, 11:37 PM
My biggest dork moment had to be my wedding day. I was trying to pull the train of my dress up and drape it over my arm. It was cathedral length, which is huge, by the way, so I'm winding and winding and winding and the damn thing isn't getting any shorter.

Then my mom comes up, grabs my arm to stop the winding, and whispers, "You're mooning everyone!"

No wonder the train was so long, I was also winding the damn skirt around my arm as well. Thank God for crinolines...

And it gets worse-

We're doing the pictures of us getting into the limo. The photog's on the passenger side, leaning in through the open door and my husband and I are on the other side. I leaned over and my boob almost fell out of my dress. The photog nearly dropped his camera and my husband almost gave himself a concussion on the car roof from laughing so hard.

And that's just the tip of the dork-berg. I trip over nothing, forget my home and cell phone numbers all the time, and have the worst time remembering what day of the week it is. Not the date, the actual day. Just this week, I said to my husband, "It's Monday, right?" and he gave me a real weird look (don't know why, he should be used to it by now) and said, "No. It's Tuesday."

Yeesh. :D

Shadow_Ferret
02-14-2008, 11:59 PM
I never remember what day it is. Today's Wednesday, right?

paprikapink
02-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Today is Valentine's Day. :heart:

AndreaGS
02-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Well, this isn't MY dork moment, but I figure it's ok to share since my fiance CONSTANTLY makes fun of the way I talk (he thinks I sound nerdy - I write a lot, read a lot, and I didn't get out much as a child...). Payback!

I bought him an iPod for last Valentine's day. He's a smart guy and he KNOWS how these things work. I'd bought him a shuffle for xmas and he'd been using that for a couple months.

The earphones aren't plugged in, he's got it turned on, and he's fiddling with the volume. He says "I can't get it to work!" and then holds the iPod up to his EAR!

I about peed myself from laughter.

Now if he makes fun of the way I talk, all I have to do is to hold a pretend-iPod up to my ear and say "Duuhhhh, it's not working!" :tongue

AndreaGS
02-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Ah, and I just remembered one of MY dork moments. I'm super-scatterbrained, so I am constantly forgetting things.

I went into a bike shop to replace the tube in one of my tires. I ended up buying a steel tire lift because my tires were practically glued onto the wheel.

Nice boy at the bike shop volunteered his help since I wasn't having much luck with getting the tire off. With his experience and superior strength, he was able to get the tire off and help me replace the tube. As I filled the tube up with air, he tells me "Don't forget your tire lift." I sort of gave him a look and told him, "I won't".

And what did I do? I forgot it.

Poor guy ended up riding after me on his bicycle to get it back to me. I was pretty embarrassed.

JoNightshade
02-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Are we sharing other people's dork moments now? Hee hee. I have to share my husband's eternal dorkiness. Now, we're both nerds who read constantly throughout childhood. You know how when you're little, you read a word and think it's pronounced a certain way, but then when you say it out loud people laugh and correct you? Well, I eventually got over that. He hasn't. He has a huge vocabulary and knows how to spell everything, but he's constantly mispronouncing things.

The one that drives me NUTS is "parry." (He uses it frequently as he's a World of Warcraft player and it's a common move.) He pronounces it so that the "par" rhymes with "car." "Par-ie."

If I'm anywhere in the vicinity when he says that, I always scream, "PARRY!!!"

Jersey Chick
02-15-2008, 12:42 AM
My husband's dork moments come when he's yelling about something - he mixes his words up. He was yelling at our daughter for something and she wasn't really listening - so this is the gem he comes up with:

"What am I, deaf?" (both my daughter and I couldn't keep a straight face after that)

Another time, he's trying to be cool and tell my daughter to remember one thing:

"Girls rule and boys drool."

(unfortunately, he meant it the other way around.)

jannawrites
02-15-2008, 12:48 AM
...but he's constantly mispronouncing things.

Ooh ooh! My hubby says "why" instead of "while." Drives me up.the.wall. And his whole family says "fusstrate" instead of "frustrate." Grr. Although I think I got after him enough that at least he says it right now. :)

benbradley
02-15-2008, 12:59 AM
There's a preacher that does these one-minute radio spots. OH, I found it:
http://www.rightfromtheheart.org/devo/613