Is The PC To Blame? Or Is It Old Age?

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since I began writing my novel in 2006, my eyesight has really suffered. I have resorted to checking out the large print titles at the library. Before then, I could read the print on the little inserts in pain reliever bottles.

I have trouble driving, too. I see two roads folded over at angles in front of me. Grrrr.....

Anyone else have this problem oir anything similar since sitting in front of a pc screen for hours? I am 47, after all.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 46 and started wearing reading glasses about two years ago. It's natural, unless you're having tunnel vision, dark spots, or bleary vision -on and off-.

Then, it's time to see a doctor.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
My eyes hurt after being in front of the screen for over an hour. I think we forget to blink (as we get older. You know, forgetfulness?!) Seriously, I did read somewhere that people of all ages at computers do forget to blink and the eyes get dry. But still, go to an eye doctor. You might need a prescription change.

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
Sounds like normal aging to me. (Probably wouldn't hurt to get a good eye exam though.)

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score
Not only is it normal and inevitable that one's vision goes with age (and what I'd like to know is, why does everyone have to discover this themselves -- why weren't we told about this in school?), but studies have proved that eyestrain is invariably a temporary condition, like any fatigue, and has no affect on one's vision in the long run.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
No one should sit in front of a computer for hours without breaks. They don't have to be long breaks. I take about five minutes every hour. I usually go and stare at something in the distance (screen breaks are a good excuse for looking out the window and daydreaming).

Screen breaks won't stop your eyes aging, but at least it stops the computer aggravating the problem.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My eyes hurt after being in front of the screen for over an hour. I think we forget to blink (as we get older. You know, forgetfulness?!) Seriously, I did read somewhere that people of all ages at computers do forget to blink and the eyes get dry. But still, go to an eye doctor. You might need a prescription change.

Never wore glasses.

Sounds like normal aging to me. (Probably wouldn't hurt to get a good eye exam though.)

N
OW
AYAM
IGONNA
DOTHATU
NLESSMYWI
FEHOLDSAGUN
TOMYOLDNOGGIN

My left eye is starting to go. I can read large text from 100 feet away like I used to.

As a child I had 15/20 vision :(

It's my left eye that makes it all unbearable.

Not only is it normal and inevitable that one's vision goes with age (and what I'd like to know is, why does everyone have to discover this themselves -- why weren't we told about this in school?), but studies have proved that eyestrain is invariably a temporary condition, like any fatigue, and has no affect on one's vision in the long run.

I never learnt nothin in school.

Don't know. Did your parents wear glasses within ten years of your age?

Wait... I recommend this.

My parents did wear glasses. But they were diabetic.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No one should sit in front of a computer for hours without breaks. They don't have to be long breaks. I take about five minutes every hour. I usually go and stare at something in the distance (screen breaks are a good excuse for looking out the window and daydreaming).

Screen breaks won't stop your eyes aging, but at least it stops the computer aggravating the problem.

I'm constantly staring past the pc and out the window. I daydream too much.

Lisa F

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.effectiveteachingsolutions.com
Since I began writing my novel in 2006, my eyesight has really suffered. I have resorted to checking out the large print titles at the library. Before then, I could read the print on the little inserts in pain reliever bottles.

I have trouble driving, too. I see two roads folded over at angles in front of me. Grrrr.....

Anyone else have this problem oir anything similar since sitting in front of a pc screen for hours? I am 47, after all.

Honestly you should consider having your blood sugar checked. I had the same issues before I finally discovered it was a symptom of diabetes...

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I cussed and bought a new comp, then found out I needed reading glasses... soooo yup, get your eyes checked! Also certain meds can cause vision problems: bp meds, prednisone, anti-drepressants. Excessive dry air can do it too. A small humidifier in where the comp is can help. Keep hydrated when you work alot at the comp--but keep those drinks away from the tower, keyboard and places the pets/kids can knock them over into the above. :}

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely get it check out but also try turning up the refresh rate on your monitor. It will make it easier on your eyes.

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score
From Wikipedia:
Similar to grey hair and wrinkles, presbyopia is a symptom caused by the natural course of aging. The first symptoms (described below) are usually first noticed between the ages of 40-50. The ability to focus on near objects declines throughout life, from an accommodation of about 20 dioptres (ability to focus at 50 mm away) in a child to 10 dioptres at 25 (100 mm) and leveling off at 0.5 to 1 dioptre at age 60 (ability to focus down to 1-2 meters only).

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com

There's your eye deficiency right there. It's not old age at all. It's your mental focus, that is reflecting this eye loss. Your eyes are closely linked to your mind, as afterall that is how you are able to see, through perception of sensum. If your daydreaming too much, than you need to address your current status. Often, if one looks away from what they are experiencing, they often begin to loose interest in the current momentum and that is how eyesight blurrs, or looses patience and than switches off. Why not address how you are in your life right now?

A tip for relaxing your eyes: If your always daydreaming, or on the computer, palm your eyes with your hands a couple of minutes, or for about 10m inbetween these activities. What it does, it shuts off all the surrounding angles, and just relaxes the mind, as well as the vision. Also, it helps, with seeing afar. Visualization can also help relax the mind, and improve the clarity of seeing. So, if you take out a couple of minutes each day, and visualize a memory that makes you smile, it will improve your memory and make you see the current momentum clearer, for what it is instead of missing it.

Medicine, is not the answer. Nature is.

Last edited:

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
However... before you start to feel old... I started losing my eyesight in the 4th grade. If it wasn't for lasik, I wouldn't be able to see my computer screen.
:D

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
That's Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. Any doctor can diagnose you from that statement and prescribe The Appropriate Medications for you...
I would definitely get it check out but also try turning up the refresh rate on your monitor. It will make it easier on your eyes.

Yes, 72 Hz or faster is good. Slower than that and I can see the flashing of a part of the screen I'm now looking at out of the corner of my eye.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Please do get your eyes checked out thoroughly. I doubt it is the PC.

I am constantly bletching at people who make it hard to read forum pages because my vision has been partially destroyed by glaucoma that went undiagnosed and untreated too long.