Recipe thread

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A few days ago, I suggested starting a recipe thread, and several people concurred with the idea. So here 'tis, I'll kick it off with:

Mediterranean Halibut

Ingredients:

1 medium white onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tomato, diced (=1 small can of diced tomato)
2 tomatillos, diced
1 small can sliced black olives
~2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1/2 cup dry white wine (NOT cooking wine, use regular wine, a chardonnay or pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc)
1-2 lbs. halibut fillets or steaks (depending on number of consumers and hunger), fresh or frozen

Slice onion thinly, and sautée with minced garlic in ~2 tbsp. olive oil until softened. Add wine and other vegetable ingredients, mix and sautée for 1-2 minutes. Add halibut, and continue sautée until fish is white and flakes easily. There is no need to defrost frozen halibut, although if frozen, you will want to add it when you add the other vegetable ingredients; it will take a little longer to cook. Do not overcook the fish; remove from heat when it just reaches a flaky consistency and is white throughout.

Any relatively firm white fish, such as cod or flounder, will do equally well with this recipe. If you can get it, find some Goya Adobo powder with the yellow lid. Mix with sautée at the time of adding vegetables. Most supermarkets carry this in the Hispanic or Specialty foods section. Extremely useful stuff for a lot of cookery, and excellent with seafood or vegetables.

I've also added a few fresh shrimp or scallops with the fish to this concoction with excellent results.

Serve.

Devour.

caw

Last edited:

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Killer chili.

Brown two pounds of good ground chuck in a Dutch oven.

Pour off grease (if it's good meat, there shouldn't be much).

Add two sixteen ounce cans of tomato sauce, one sixteen ounce can of drained dark red kidney beans, one large finely chopped onion, five tablespoons of hot chili powder, and one square of Baker's unsweetened chocolate (trust me on this last one).

Heat it up, simmer for two hours, and then start tasting. If it's not hot enough, add Dave's Insanity Sauce (trust me on this one too), one drop at a time, tasting repeatedly, until your sinuses start to drain.

Serve and enjoy.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A note on tomatillos (used in the halibut recipe above): if you're not familiar with these goodies, you should become so. They are a staple of certain Mexican dishes, especially salsas, and are now available pretty much everywhere; I can get them year-round in Alaska, so you should be able to find them, too. They are relatives of tomatoes, and look like little yellow-green ones once the dry husk is stripped off. They will be sticky on the outside, but a brief rinse in cold water removes that stickiness. They are salty-tangy to the taste, and are an excellent addition to a lot of soups and stews. And they are really good in stir-fries along with traditional oriental vegetable mixes.

And they're cheap.

caw

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
Leftover turkey??? o noessss! OR:

in large frypan [one with a lid], pour 1-2 tbsp oil
add
2 slices of chopped white onion, a handful of fresh spinach, 2-3 slices of sweet red pepper and 5 sliced fresh mushrooms, and one small carrot, thinly sliced.

Add 1 cup of turkey meat, and after 10 minutes, add 2 oz marble cheese.
Mix 2 tbsp of flour into 1 cup of water, whisk and add to turkey mix.

In another pot, boil up 5 cups of water, and cook 1 cup of rotini for 7 minutes. Drain and add the noodles to the turkey mix.
Add some leftover stuffing [especially if it's peppery!].
mix together and serve with ... CRANBERRY sauce.

Voila, turkey dinner in a pan. [ okay, 2 pans.. hairsplitter]

It was yummy, and we had it with bread and butter. I should add that it's windy and snowing again, so this was a great dinner.