Body Disposal After Legal Execution

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Need this answered for a short story I'm working on - what happens to the body of someone who's been legally executed?

I presume, if there's family, that it's handed over to them... but then is the family responsible for having it embalmed (which I know is a legal requirement in many states)? I presume there isn't an autopsy for obvious reasons, but again, would like to know for sure.

If there isn't family to claim the body, what happens then? Does the state pay for the expense of burial and embalming and the rest of that? Or would they just cremate? And is there a time frame in which all of that would happen?

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Coroner is on stand-by, so no to autopsy. My state will try to bury in a type of 'potter's field,' if family is found to be unable to financially afford-- a criteria they must meet as well. Then, the jurisdiction may get some students to volunteer/participate and a minister to hold a small gravesite service. Or, may hand over body to perp's family. Or they can cremate and also remember the perp will probably be counseled on this before his death, asking his/her wishes.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
In some states, unless it's changed, an executed body is property of the state and the family does not get it back.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In some states, unless it's changed, an executed body is property of the state and the family does not get it back.

Really? That seems rather odd. So then the state would probably take the cheapest route out, then, with a pine box and quick burial. Though I wonder if cremation would in fact be cheaper.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
John Grisham wrote a non-fiction novel called The Innocent Man. I think I recall a bit in there about what happens after an execution.