PDA

View Full Version : AMBER ALERT! PLEASE HELP!

Odyssey
02-12-2008, 09:40 PM
My daughter sent me an email about this and asked me to send an email to everyone I know. I'm also posting this on all the forums I'm a member of.

A little girl is missing. Please help. Please send the following URL to everyone you know and post it everywhere you can. Thanks.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/missing/reachelle.asp (http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/missing/reachelle.asp)

Silver King
02-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Um, that page was last updated in September of 2006. The girl may have been found by now, so unless you have something more recent to share, it's hard to get worked up over her disappearance.

Silver King
02-12-2008, 10:14 PM
And another thing. A huge ad for Netflix pops up behind the page when you follow the link.

benbradley
02-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Um, that page was last updated in September of 2006. The girl may have been found by now, so unless you have something more recent to share, it's hard to get worked up over her disappearance.
I'm also wondering what makes THIS girl so special that her missing status has to be "forwarded to everyone you know!" when there are thousands of other missing children and adults, and whose stories are "just as deserving of mass dissemination" as this one. The snopes site lists about 25 such stories circulating in email and on the Web:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/missing/missing.asp

If I saw a web post or got an email for every person in the Western World who came up missing, the Internet would be a lot less useful to me. Here's the story on the Boulder Pledge for at least the hundredth time:

http://www.panix.com/~tbetz/boulder.shtml

I'm also struck by the irony of using a Snopes page to disseminate this info. I can sympathize with parents and relatives who may be desparate and feel justified in sending these out, but this isn't the right way to go about it. If it were, there would be an "Amber Alert Forum" where these stories would get posted (and perhaps even bumped!) daily. There surely are several "missing persons" websites, and this case is surely already on them. According to the link the story has been on "America's Most Wanted" so it's already got more publicity than most such cases get.

dpaterso
02-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Has anyone checked the village well in case Amber fell down there?

-Derek

talps
02-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Has anyone checked the village well in case Amber fell down there?

My collie just had a look. She's not there.

benbradley
02-12-2008, 10:34 PM
And another thing. A huge ad for Netflix pops up behind the page when you follow the link.
That's just the Snopes website trying to pay for itself.:)

PattiTheWicked
02-12-2008, 10:37 PM
According to the National Missing & Exploited Children's page, she's still missing: http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewPoster&caseNum=1044761&orgPrefix=NCMC&searchLang=en_US

However, the fact that she vanished almost two years ago makes me think that the sense of urgency is misplaced. I mean, I hate to be the Meanie Poo Head here, but if she hasn't been found by now, it's unlikely that a mass Internet posting is going to change that.

Kids go missing every day. It's a horrible, horrible thing, and I can't imagine what their families go through, and I truly empathize with these folks. However, spreading the word via emails isn't the way to get these kids back. Local news focuses, cell phone Amber alerts if a license plate or car description -- these are the way these kids get recovered. Not by posting a link on a completely random message board.

Sorry if it sounds heartless, but it's true.

Stormhawk
02-13-2008, 12:06 AM
...did anyone else notice that the missing persons ad says she answers to "Peanut"?

Julie Worth
02-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Just a cheap spam trick. This Odyssey person should be banned.

Mela
02-13-2008, 01:33 AM
I got that email about the missing girl at work the other day.
It is tragic, no doubt about it, as is the situation involving all the hundreds of other missing children ...
but I hate being used in this way.

Christine N.
02-13-2008, 02:15 AM
Just a cheap spam trick. This Odyssey person should be banned.

I second that motion!

Silver King
02-13-2008, 02:30 AM
Just a cheap spam trick...
That's what I thought also.

...This Odyssey person should be banned.
Well, we can't go around banning folks for having good intentions, right?

Right???

KTC
02-13-2008, 02:30 AM
Spamalamadingdong, indeed.

KTC
02-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Well, we can't go around banning folks for having good intentions, right? Right???

Get off your banning button, Mister. It's time to hit click.

I have spoken.

Julie Worth
02-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Well, we can't go around banning folks for having good intentions, right?

Weird that she'd join and then wait all these months to post this one thing. Could she be a deeply embedded netflix shill?

talps
02-13-2008, 04:33 AM
Could she be a deeply embedded netflix shill?

That's actually an interesting question, given that yesterday Netflix made a big announcement that they would be promoting the new BluRay discs... which was the feature story in the financial section of USA Today.

:guns:stay vigilant, AW party people! :guns:

Odyssey
02-13-2008, 04:50 AM
I started this thread because I wanted to help this little girl -- her name is Reachelle -- and thought there might be some good folks here who wanted to help, too.

It was not my intent to spam anyone.

writerterri
02-13-2008, 04:53 AM
I just kissed my bunny.

Julie Worth
02-13-2008, 05:00 AM
I started this thread because I wanted to help this little girl -- her name is Reachelle -- and thought there might be some good folks here who wanted to help, too.

Why this one over the others on that same site?

benbradley
02-13-2008, 06:04 AM
Weird that she'd join and then wait all these months to post this one thing. Could she be a deeply embedded netflix shill?
Nah - too unlikely...
And this hasn't been Odyssey's only post, despite the post count of 1 when when I first saw it (this IS Office Pary where posts don't count, or is that somewhere else?). But anyway, Odyssey started the "What are you thankful for?" thread a while back in (of all places) the PublishAmerica subforum:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84308

My assumption was the poster making the OP was geniune in wanting to help find the girl, and indeed:

You betcha there's good folks here, and we all (well, certainly the vast majority of us) DO want to help, and certainly would if there were something we could reasonably do (or even UNreasonably, like, ahem, driving people and pets halfway up the East Coast (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91714) - <insert LOLCATS version of the story here, complete with chicken jumping on sofa>).

And again, this situation is surely heartbreaking for the parents and relatives. But the likelihood that ANY of us actually CAN do anything to help is just too much of a long shot, so much so that such posts are counterproductive in a forum like this.

The story of Reachelle has clearly been publicized, the police are involved (the man gives strong reason to believe foul play is involved, and the police are undoubtedly on the lookout for him), it's been on TV, and it's one of only 25 missing persons cases mentioned on Snopes, a very widely read website covering email and Internet hoaxes that we get almost daily in emails. This could just as well have been another Craig Sherwood (or is is Craig Shergold) story that's well over ten years old (I first heard it ten years ago and it was obsolete THEN) and just won't die.

Sorry, Oddysey, I don't mean to be mean to you (and others were misinterpreting your actions), it's just that this isn't a very productive means of getting the word out.

However, has anyone thought of blogging about the plight of missing children? That might be a more appropriate venue...

Silver King
02-13-2008, 06:47 AM
...And this hasn't been Odyssey's only post, despite the post count of 1...
Ben is correct. Odyssey has deleted a number of posts, for whatever reason. I believe the amount is high, a couple of hundred or so.

At any rate, I was hoping this thread might lead to further discussion of missing children, and what we can do as a society and as families to help protect our young ones.

eldragon
02-13-2008, 06:55 AM
I thought of something funny and witty to say, but honestly, I can't joke about a missing child who is most likely dead.

I can't imagine anything worse for parents.

Chumplet
02-13-2008, 07:13 AM
Many of these alerts are resurrected after a long space of time. They're often outdated. If anyone feels the need to forward such messages, please protect your computer by deleting any cc's when you forward it. Also, check the source of the story. There's a website that investigates the credibility of many of these urgent messages to check if they're legitimate.

Any missing child alert should ideally be treated as a serious matter, but be careful about the way you use your computer to spread the message.

talps
02-13-2008, 07:19 AM
As one who made a couple posts exhibiting a healthy skepticism, I'd like to offer a quick apology if this at all offended the OP. It's just that I've been in a position over helping to oversee that a forum runs smoothly and on the level. When I see an arguably out-of-place post pop up, coupled with a low post count by the OP, I just can't help but think something's a bit fishy (and not just SK).

When this happens, I apparently make jokes about Lassie & discuss the fiscal prospects of Netflix. (but really, who doesn't?)

Anyway... I do apologize if I misunderstood the authenticity & sincerity of the thread. Just seemed to be a stray cat of a post is all...

Christine N.
02-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Sorry, Odyssey. We get all kinds here, never know what to expect. I THOUGHT your name looked familiar, but I saw one post, so then I thought I was mistaken. I apologize for my own confusion.