jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
http://www.newsweek.com/id/109373?gt1=10856

Kosters found this studio thanks to an ambitious plan by the Amsterdam city government. Arguing that too many brothels and sex bars are linked to criminality, the authorities plan to all but erase the Red Light District. If the plan goes through, the peep shows, sex shops and prostitute windows that line the small alleys and canals will have to go, giving way to galleries, boutiques and upscale restaurants and bars. Goodbye to the big neon signs advertising every possible form of sexual indulgence.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hell. Scratch that off the list of places to visit before I die, eh?

Maryn, more than half serious

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
I've made it as far as Brussels, Luxumborg City and Copenhagen.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I can't quite imagine Amsterdam without the red light district. I was eighteen the first time I visited. I came out of my hotel, turned a corner, and there was a a very sophisticated woman sitting on a barstool outside a club. "Live Sex on Stage!" she was calling to the passers-by. Quite an eye opener. It was very disturbing to see women for sale in shop windows. They didn't look very happy to be there.

Still - removing the red light district will not banish prostitution. Currently, the sex workers have some legal protection, are required to have regular check-ups, etc. Driving prostitution underground would make it less visible, and possibly make it even more exploitative than it already is.

I think Amsterdam would survive the drop off in sex tourism. It's a beautiful and fascinating city. It was not the red light district that has made me return to that city several times.