• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

It seems I need a beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonneillon

Autophobic Misanthrope
Registered
Reaction score
I tried looking for one elsewhere but that seems to have fallen through. I have one regular reviewer who does very good critiques, but has better things to do with his time than help me hash out the fine details of this plot structure. So if anyone is willing to put up with my special breed of perfectionism, here's the all-points:

Genre: Fantasy, with gay romance subplot
Setting: Original world with varying technology levels. Story takes place primarily in a feudal-society Arabian-esque desert.
Rating: 21+ for the sex that will eventually happen if MC#1 ever consents to it. When it happens, the sex will probably be about as explicit as your average romance novel... a.k.a. 'abundant euphemisms'. But, due to the board's standards on explicit material, 21+ to be safe.
Needs: I have a spell-checker (<3 Firefox) and I am fairly adept at editing my own grammar, though by all means, if something has slipped past me, let me know. Primarily I need someone to critique the story itself; elements such as flow and cohesion, plot continuity, research accuracy, and so on. I need to know if I used the same unique word too many times in one paragraph. I need to know if something is awkward and clunky, and needs a re-write. I need to know if I said someone's eyes were green, and later say they're blue. I need to know if I said scorpions have necrotic venom when they actually have neurotoxic.
Sensitivity: I have a pretty thick skin and I'm very ruthless with myself, so I want someone to be ruthless with me. However, I also want to know what I did RIGHT, because knowing that helps me to repeat my successes. The general rules of politesse apply here - criticize the piece, not me as a person, be specific and courteous instead of just saying 'you suck'... I think all that goes without saying on this board, as everyone pretty much knows better. I may or may not agree with suggestions provided by a beta, but I will never ignore them. I will always give them a long, hard look before deciding whether change is needed, and will do my best to do so without emotional bias.

Plot Summary: Vaeyinn'Irix was a prince in Charir, the most magnificent city in The Sands, until his brother counted coup and seized the throne. He is saved from execution by an unlikely ally - Kite, a harem boy with a predator's soul. Escaping the city and the reach of the new ruler, the treacherous Sands and a thousand perils still lie before them. Will they learn to trust each other and survive, or fall to the desert? (20,000 words and growing)

If there are any further questions, please do not hesitate to respond with them and I will answer them as completely as I am able.

My thanks in advance for your time,
- Sonne

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.