Labour Saving Devices

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so much looking for expertise here, just suggestions from people who, unlike myself, actually live in the modern world and utilize labour saving devises.

Since I'm somebody who drives a manual (stick shift) 25 year old truck with no power steering or brakes and has a tv that has no remote control, perhaps you will get why I am a bit stuck on all the latest gadgets.

I know a lot of folk, particularly in the US now drive automatic cars, and you can actually get a remote control for the cd player in your car ... ??? but what other stuff do normal households use on a day to day basis that actually saves them moving around?

Gotta go before I really start to sound as if I'm rambling ...

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Bronco, I've also just added to my own list
Leaf blowers (not sure if that's the right term)
strimmers
Electric garage door openers
food processors
electric carving knives.

I know how old fashioned I'm sounding ...

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with those "do everything--and I mean everything--for you toilets?"

Popular in Japan. Made me uncomfortable.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
microwave, electric toothbrush, remote for the stereo, remote for the comp media player

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
Losing power stweering and power brakes in a car that is equipped with them is very scary!!

Remote control has gotten to the point that the device will not function as it should without it. Our DVD remote is broken, so, although we can play DVD's (except for the silly Balinese ones that lists the "special features" before "play"), we can't do things like scroll through the menu, get subtitles, zoom, or fast forward.

We have a set top box for free to air digital TV. This means that we need two remotes to get a picture on the TV. Labour-saving has gone mad, if you ask me! :)

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, what's a comp media player?

My truck never lost it's power steering and brakes, Chevbrock, because it never had them in the first place - still, I get to tighten my bum cheeks every time I have to brake!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think they have become such a common part of everyday life that sometimes it's difficult to pin them down.
Does anybody know of any that are used in the garden?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dollywagon - Don't feel too old fashioned - I used to drive vehicles without power steering or power brakes too. I actually hated power brakes the first time I had them.

In the garden - rototiller, all sorts of hose sprinklers with timers, I think it's called a weasel - sort of a very small cultivator, electronic bug-zappers for flying insects, weed whips and edgers, electric chain-saws, electric pruners, seed tape (has the seeds already in it at the proper spacing), stand-on sulky type riding lawn mowers (very popular with lawn care companies), Japanese beetle traps, lots and lots of chemical sprays etc for all types of pest control including crab grass. I'll see if I can think of any more later. Puma

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
Dolly, I'll bet your arms have grown three inches since you started driving that truck - from planting the brake pedal into the ground and leaning back! :)

Our current car is front wheel drive and does not have power steering or brakes, so there's not much opportunity for index-finger driving, but I have had cars that have had both in the past. Amazing what you miss when it's gone...

Love your photo - always wanted a pet goat - wouldn't need a lawnmower, then. Another labour-saving device! They have robotic ones these days!

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with those "do everything--and I mean everything--for you toilets?"

Popular in Japan. Made me uncomfortable.

Oh yes, in Korea (Japanese brand). I was afraid to use it because I couldn't read the buttons and I know that one of them was Korean for "EJECT".

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Eject what??!!! Urgh.

That little goat is now twice as big as the dog. It's a wonderful sight!

Actually, I did get myself a Hebridean sheep as a lawnmower. I found that working full time and then doing part time work at the weekends the garden nearly drove me nuts. She was, and is, the cheapest and best option. Mind you, the plants are goners.

Yep, I have long, strong and skinny arms. Not a bat-wing in sight.

I did, for a very short period, have an automatic, power assisted car. One day I took it out on the icy road. Nobody was driving - I just couldn't feel the road - and the damn thing kept changing gear when it really wasn't the best time! I made it about 300 yards and had to come back. Oh, the shame!

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
laundry chutes -- not me, but some people
automatic water/food pet feeders & doggy doors

Tiger

Registered
Reaction score
My absolute favorite, and most used, part of an electronic divice is the "mute" button on my TV remote control.

How about the "Clapper"? It allows one to turn off a lamp by clapping one's hands, thus saving an arduous trek of 3, or possibly even 4, feet. Whew! Now *that's* a lifesaver.

Saw an episode of "Columbo," where such a device gave away the murderer... Not that anyone here should be concerned :D

Tiger

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, in Korea (Japanese brand). I was afraid to use it because I couldn't read the buttons and I know that one of them was Korean for "EJECT".

Did you notice whether or not the ceiling was padded?

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
It's no good, I can't look at that spelling mistake in the title any more.
If any mods see it, would you alter it please, it's been driving me nuts since I posted!

Tiger

Registered
Reaction score
It's no good, I can't look at that spelling mistake in the title any more.
If any mods see it, would you alter it please, it's been driving me nuts since I posted!

Who's Labour Saving? What did she devise? :D

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
coffee maker. Waffle Iron. toaster oven. Oh I LOVE my toaster oven. I bake in it as mcuh or more than my oven, because it is hot almost immediately and is smaller so I am not heating up a big oven for a little thing. My pumpkin pie comes out better in the toaster oven. I make biscuits and pizza rolls(for mr. groove) tater tots, and toast in there.

I don't know what else to add right now.

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
1) Those little robot vacumm cleaners that you turn on when you leave the house, and they go around bumping into things while they vacumm the floor.

2) Clapper Lamps (not that popular anymore)

3) Laptops/MP3 players/internet phones/phones that play music such as the Iphone

4) Lights that turn off when you go to sleep

5) automatic sprinklers

6) automatic pet waterers/feeders

7) Frozen dinners :tongue

-Feathers

Tiger

Registered
Reaction score
Hah. I don't think anyone's mentioned computers yet. When was the last time anyone used an actual bulletin board, or did their taxes, longhand?

How about self-stickers? I've licked neither stamp, nor envelope in quite some time.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
How about self-stickers? I've licked neither stamp, nor envelope in quite some time.

Yeah but those aren't time savers, those are tongue savers. I always hated the taste of the glue! One of their better inventions.

:tongue

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Oh goody, the title's been altered - phew!

What little robot vacumn cleaners? Hee, wouldn't mind one of those!

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Did someone mention...

microwave ovens? (Hate 'em, myself)
Thermostat control in a house so that the temps are constant.
automatic electric ovens which turn themselves off when things are cooked.

And what I dream of having, Dollywagon, which I don't think has reached America, but you will know, is the gas fired Aga with instant hot water, constant warming oven for the weak lambs, day old chick/ducks/goslings and the constant low heat to set the cream for Devonshire clotted cream, do the cheese milk and make custards. I had an oil fired Aga once and it was heaven.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Orkney PDR, the place is snided with all kinds of AGA's and Rayburns, except here they call them Dorics. Actually I don't know if that is a manufacturing name, but anything that eats oil, gas, solid fuel and heats the water and heating system, seems to be known as a Doric.
And no, I haven't got one. In fact I haven't got central heating at all, which your comment about thermostatic controls made me think about. I tend to shove a little oil fired heater around with me - guess thermostatic controls are labour saving!

You see, I told you I was out of the loop.
But the big question is, do I waste labour or am I fitter for the exercise?
Hmm...

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've always favoured the automatic washer and dryer, having lived in the wilderness of Canada on a commune. We did without running water and electricity, too.

We used the wash board and a Yukon plunger. I was assigned to wash a logger's clothes, and there were times he would get so grubby I couldn't see the plaid pattern on his flannel insulated shirts. (It still seemed sometimes that all I was doing was getting his clothes wet and soapy instead of clean.) And then we had to hang up the clothes around the wood stove. Since this method of drying caused the clothes to become stiff and wrinkled, we then had to iron them. We used an old, heavy, electric iron that had the cord cut off--we'd warm it up either on the propane stove or on the wood stove. We also had the choice to freeze-dry the clothes on the clothesline outside. When it's -20 degrees, it doesn't take long for you to feel like your fingers are going to freeze and break off.

My first night off the farm I dreamed of washing my clothes in an automatic washer and drying them in a clothes dryer. I was looking forward to nothing more than that.

Even now I keep a wringer washer in the basement in case my washing machine breaks down. They agitate clothes like I've never seen a regular automatic washer work. And it's better than hand-washing clothes, any time.