Where does a landlocked Greek city-state keep its navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpen

Bizzare in Berkeley
Registered
Reaction score
I was reading up on Mycenae (the city) during the Late Bronze Age/Mycenaean Era/Late Helladic Period and I saw somewhere that their main port was probably --. I didn't bother to write the name down at the time, but now I wish I had, and I can't find it again.

Does anyone know which ports the Mycenaeans proper may have used at around 1292 BCE? I know that Agamemnon sailed from Aulis, in Boeotia, but I'm looking for likely ports in the Peloponnese. I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

Also, there's one thing that I sort of don't get. Mycenae is located way inland, and yet they supposedly had a strong navy if they were to dominate trade and warfare. So where did they keep their navy? Did they just have a bunch of fleets waiting around in distant ports, waiting to be used? How do you maintain and control a navy if your city is far from the sea?

I can't seem to find specifics on this anywhere. Any sort of input would be useful. Thanks!

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, it's always...

amusing to think of places like the Austro-Hungarian Empire and their navy on a coast about mile long.

Ancient Greece is only my 'area' literature wise, but someone will come along and help you. I just wanted to let you know, unlike the last poster, that peole will take you seriously here and our resident 'Grecian learns' will be along to help.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
The name "Tiryns" keeps coming to mind. I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I can't fact check right now. Try googling it, and see what pops up.

blackpen

Bizzare in Berkeley
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, alt. Thanks for the support, pdr. dolores, Tiryns is a great suggestion! It was indeed on the coast, but I think it's an unlikely candidate because it was a powerful citadel in its own right. If anything, the civilization of Mycenae seems to be closely aligned with that of Pylos, but Pylos was also a big power during those days, and I think Mycenae keeping its navy by the Pylos (or Tiryns) shore would be the near equivalent of Switzerland keeping its navy (does it even have one??) on some Italian coastline.

Ideally, I'm looking for potential ports along the western side of the Saranic Gulf, north of Mycenae and south of the Ismus of Corinth (northeastern coast of Pelopponese, by where it meets Attica.)

I'm guessing that the Myceneans would have probably kept their ships at smaller, less populated ports that are reasonably outside the reach of any other ambitious power. I'm thinking about using some random coastal city in the right area, but most of the detailed maps of Greece tend to be in Greek... so it's all Greek to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Nauplion? It's so long since I read any ancient Greek history, but that's what comes to mind.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Was it possible they had a deep river (or dredged a channel) to a town or city under their influence?

I know nothing about Greece, now or then, but just wondered. Montreal's a seaport even though it's a couple of hundred miles away from salt water.

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
According to Pausanias, Tiryns was the port of Mycenae (that strong citadel was there for a reason -- to protect Mycenaean ships). There's a usable beach at Taenarum in the southern Peloponnese, and another at Pylos/Sphacteria. The navy likely wouldn't have been scattered like that, though. During the winter months they'd have been dragged ashore at Tiryns for repairs, then relaunched in April or so for the sailing season. See if you can find Lionel Casson's The Ancient Mariners. It has some excellent info on early Greek sailing.

Best,

Scott

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Mycenae is located way inland, and yet they supposedly had a strong navy if they were to dominate trade and warfare. So where did they keep their navy? Did they just have a bunch of fleets waiting around in distant ports, waiting to be used? How do you maintain and control a navy if your city is far from the sea?

The Greek city-states (some of them) had significant territories under their military control. Mycenae, in particular, had a fairly broad sphere of influence. They were in near constant competition with Crete for naval supremacy, which they finally acheived after Knossos erupted (I forget what year). Their block of cities included Tiryns, Thebes, Orchomenos and Pylos and they associated closely with the city of Argos. Although Mycenae was never a prominent city-state on the level of Athens of Sparta, t was influential and powerful after the Minoan society began to disintegrate.

Anything north of Mycenae would in all probability be controlled by Corinth. I'm thinking that you're going to have to look at the western shore. Check out this map; it might have some options for you.

Something I would look into is whether the island of Aegina switched allegiances from Crete to Mycenae after the explosion of Knossos. The Athenians didn't dismantle and depopulate the island until sometime in the mid 400s BCE after the Peloponnesian War, but there's a significant chunk of time there where Mycenae might have sheltered its fleet close to shores friendly to it. I think Knossos blew up in 1400 <?> BCE or so, so in that thousand years it's entirely possible that there might have been a shift there.

blackpen

Bizzare in Berkeley
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I was wrong about Tiryns, although I saw a different name when I was going through the books.

While we're on the topic of Ancient Greece, does anyone know what the Aegean Sea was called before Aegeus drowned himself in it?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.