How stuck is TOO stuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Just curious when you decide to throw in the towel on a work in progress. I've heard that every writer gets to a point in their wip where they just hate it, and feel like everything they're writing on it is crap.

I'm almost positive I went through that with my last novel, but I don't remember it lasting this long. I don't know if it's because I'm writing on an idea that I've been working on for 8 years (it originally started out as a tv series concept and then became a pilot script with episode plans) and I'm just having a hard time translating it to novel format. Or if it's because I'm working with YA when my previous novel was adult and it's tough to switch age groups, or if it's because I'm writing in first person when I'm used to third person.

At any rate, I've had a love-hate relationship with this version of the story since about page 50. The first 50 pages (or so) were written in a flurry of excitement for my 'new' project and the new perspective I was able to bring to it with the first person pov.

I know it's not writer's block because, in my frustration with this story, I started on a sequel to the previous novel (mostly for my husband, as he's been asking for the sequel since he read the first one) and that's coming along just fine. Maybe that's because he's excited and I'm getting near-instant feedback that yes, it is enjoyable and well-written and I'm not getting that with the YA project.

Sorry for the rambling post. Apparently, it's my way of procrastinating writing on this project. The problem is, I love the characters and I love the story and I think it will be pretty good once I gain some momentum (and with editing) but it's getting there that's the problem.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dreams - In my opinion, part of your problem is that you're working on two things at the same time - so you're splitting your writing time and even your daydreaming plot progression time. Pick one and finish it. If the sequel to your prior story is more compelling at this time, pick it and get it out of your system. You're not going to make decent progress on your "main" story until the air's clear.

Then - I just read an interesting thread, possibly in this forum about affirmation and the power of convincing ourselves of things. Sounds like you need to work on re-convincing yourself that your "main" story is worthwhile and does have potential. Good luck. Puma

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Every writer does hit that, with virtually every manuscript, meaning you've absolutely got to learn to work through that stage. I wish I had a helpful hint for it, but I don't. When I hit that point, I always think that it's like hauling rocks - but you just have to haul the rocks. Probably there's no way around it.

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
Write a little bit each day. When I hit it, it was so hard to keep going. I made myself write some each day. I wrote 500 words, then let myself work on something else. I wrote 250 words the next day then wrote something else. Eventually I got through it and the rest actually came pretty quick.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to say "NEVA!" But it hasn't worked out that way for me and it hasn't been the story's fault either. It's been my own fault.

Usually when I get stuck, that stuck, on a story it's because something is wrong with it and my inner editor is telling me that there is something wrong with the story. Problem is my inner editor is infuriatingly vague. The best way I've found to get through these kinds of problems is to talk about it. I talk to my sister. She loves to read as much as I do and she also dabbles in writing. So her creative opinion is fantastic. We bounce ideas back and forth like crazy and that usually helps me find the problem and figure out how to fix it.

If you're that stuck, see if there isn't something that's bugging you about it and try to find a way to push through it.

Good luck.

ascribe

I...love...rejections
Registered
Reaction score
If the sequel's working well I'd go with that for a while. Sometimes a new focus helps to free up your thinking. If that fails then it's back to banging your head against the brick wall.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
The one time I absolutely gave up a MS was when I realized that I was essentially re-writing an earlier story with different characters in a different setting. I realized it was because I was trying to write through some personal issues and since I don't really like to see my novels as therapy, I ditched it.

Triangulos

Registered
Reaction score
Is it a plot problem, i.e. you don't know where to go next? Hard to suggest what to do there other than leaving it and coming back to it, but if it takes hard work to progress a plot because the next step isn't obvious then you can guarantee a reader won't see it as obvious either. In that regard pushing through a stuck patch can actually be advantageous; the end result doesn't read as if it was planned to death in advance.

If however you're just dissatisfied with the quality so far then press on to the end. You might find the rest of it flows better and gives you the inspiration to fix the style and voice of the first part. A good quote I've heard is "you can't edit a blank sheet of paper" - you have to give yourself something to work with, and the quality that you produce later on might surprise you.

T.

Elladog

Registered
Reaction score
I force myself to plow through. Just write something, anything (within that same project - I agree with the poster above who said to pick one and finish it, then focus on the other). I always find I can get through the part I was stuck on and into something more comfortable, and either what I wrote ends up being great stuff that takes me somewhere I had never even planned on going, or is easily fixed once there's something on the other side to anchor it to.
Good luck!

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Just curious when you decide to throw in the towel on a work in progress. I've heard that every writer gets to a point in their wip where they just hate it, and feel like everything they're writing on it is crap.

wow and a quote from I. Banks!!! When I hit the thow in the towel point, I do a big revision: toss out a few characters, add some stuff...and push on. Sometimes in the final revision that towel-dodging revision gets reduced, so maybe it is just a way around the standard block that strikes as you see by how much you are missing your original idea. Or what a bad idea the original idea was...

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Puma-I think you're right about that. After I went to bed last night, I was thinking about it and decided I needed to get the sequel out of my head. I agree with you that having too many worlds in my head is cutting into my daydream time (which is where I accomplish the most for writing down later) I'm also working on a comic book with a friend, so that's three worlds in my head and something just needs to give.

Triangulos, I WISH it was a plot problem. Those I can usually work through with some time. I think it might be a problem that I have the entire plot mapped out. I know what I want to do in every chapter and maybe it's just too much structure for me?

Thanks to everyone for your feedback on this. It's good to know I'm not the only one who gets stuck. I think at this point, I am going to put this project on the backburner while I pursue the comic book and the sequel. Hopefully this will help my block!

And Higgins, I found this quote on Jennifer Jackson's blog and now I must check out some of his work! Any suggestions as to which novel to start with? I did some digging and know he's written both literary fiction and sci-fi (two of my favorites!)

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
And Higgins, I found this quote on Jennifer Jackson's blog and now I must check out some of his work! Any suggestions as to which novel to start with? I did some digging and know he's written both literary fiction and sci-fi (two of my favorites!)

I haven't read his literary fiction. My last big personal contemporary lit fict hit was Possession and I think that came out in 1990...the world's reality has been too bleak for me since then, I guess and Bank's lit fict is pretty bleak....and I don't blame him.

On the other hand his sci fi is kind of mysteriously uplifting in a grim way.
I especially like Excession (which sounds like Possession )....

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Or if it's because I'm working with YA when my previous novel was adult and it's tough to switch age groups, or if it's because I'm writing in first person when I'm used to third person.
Perhaps I picked up on this point because my publisher markets my novel to adults and young adults. Are you perhaps writing 'down', thinking you have to alter your word choices for the younger crowd? If it's older young adults - grades 10-12 - you don't have to. Just a thought but it may be stifling you a bit if that's what you're trying to do.
Linnea

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Perhaps I picked up on this point because my publisher markets my novel to adults and young adults. Are you perhaps writing 'down', thinking you have to alter your word choices for the younger crowd? If it's older young adults - grades 10-12 - you don't have to. Just a thought but it may be stifling you a bit if that's what you're trying to do.
Linnea

You know, that's a very good point. I'm not sure if I'm doing this or not. I think I'm going to shelve it for a bit and then take it out and re-read to see if I am doing this so I can prevent it, because I very well could be.

Thank you for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.