Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hey!

So, okay, I'm on my 14th book and I've still never had a professional author photo taken. My dad has taken the ones that appear on the backs of most of my book covers. But it's time for something better.

Was discussing with my editor at Moo Press, who suggested that I just go to a Sears or JC Penney Portrait Center. Never would have thought of that, but I visited their websites and realized they look good!

Now the question is pose/background/props. I'm sick of the author photos where the author is leaning on a stack of her books. And I'm not too fond of plain ole' headshots.

First question: Anyone want to share their author photos here to inspire me? :)

Second: Ideas? I'll probably go with a plain white background, and wear a solid dark-colored shirt. Beyond that, what can I do to not be boring?

My problem is the wide range of books I write-- this photo has to be appropriate for everything from children's picture books to celeb biographies to books for writers... so it can't fall too much into any one category.

Suggestions welcome!

P.S. Am planning to do this next week. Currently battling a pimple that won't die.

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna, whoever you get to do your photo, make sure they sell you the copyright to it as well as the negatives, so you have control over where it's used and when/by whom, or get permission for future use IN WRITING, signed, dated, and notarized. When my oldest daughter died, we discovered that we had to have permission (which the photographer would not give) to have her senior picture enlarged for her funeral (a closed casket affair). We ended up having to pay the photographer over $100 to have one stinking enlargement made, and then he refused to sell us the negatives, saying that's how he made his money. So now he still owns my daughter's image and can use it however he sees fit, with no input from us required or asked for. Argh.

So, do inquire into the rights you will have over your image. You may be the subject, but you don't automatically own the rights to use it.

Last edited:

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Thank goodness for digital cameras

I asked a few friends for recommendations, called a couple of places, chose one, had them give me the name of a makeup person they work with and about 150 shots later, I had ONE I liked it. That's not bad, seeing as how I'm the type to put scarves, hats and hands over my face when people angle for my mug.

I chose black and white, a brick background, head only. It's on a CD and they printed out two 5 x 7s and a bunch of smaller head shots. The picture is on my website (www.jillmillerzimon.com) on the About Jill page. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the picture - especially from people who know me ;-). And honestly, and especially if you've read my Idol entry about my mother telling me she hates my hair color, my parents, brothers and husband don't lie. They know I know I take lousy pictures most of the time.

I happen to agree with them this time though. The picture shows me pretty much as I am. Nothing was brushed out, though I had them show me what it would look like for fun. And you know what? Surprise, surprise - it didn't look like me and I didn't like that. So, there I am, at 40, in my first professional picture. Now all I need is the book to go with it!

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Brrr. I hate, hate, hate having my photo taken (of course, looking like myself, I would...) - with the unusual exception that I don't care if it's a funny picture. Sit and smile at a camera means instant horribleness, but pretending to be a mad scientist or leaping around or carving up a globe with a kitchen knife or similar is okay.

Probably not ideal for kids books though...

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
JennaGlatzer said:
P.S. Am planning to do this next week. Currently battling a pimple that won't die.

No suggestions off the top of my head (for the photo shoot), but have you tried an aspirin mask? Those can work wonders on undying pimples. :) If you want more info, I can PM or email you.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
LOL @ Windex. I'm gonna PM you about the aspirin mask-- never heard of that!

Betty, I'm floored. What a... (searching my head for a word that won't get asterisked out) BUTTHEAD that photographer is! How amazingly cruel! But yes, I did think about the rights. Thanks for the reminder.

Jill: Very nice pic!

I've used Photoshop to get rid of my eye bags before, and never succeeded... it always looked like I'd had very bad plastic surgery. My dad (bless him) has taken hundreds of photos of me for past books, but honestly, the little pic over there <--- is way nicer than most of them. I wish I could use it, but it's not close-up enough and I'd have to airbrush out Celine and the whole background. You can do that on the computer, but when you go to print it out, it looks silly.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I like my headshots. :) I'd choose a photographer who uses "natural lighting" -- the difference (from studio lighting) is incredible. Also, I'd choose some kind of organic background (a park, a bench, etc.) instead of just plain color. The background should be "out of focus," however. The important thing is your face.

Using photoshop you can do a lot of things -- smooth out your skin, fix blemishes, etc. -- what photographers used to do with airbrush. Also, a lot of photographers go digital now, so they will be able to take 300 COLOR pictures within the session and you can see them immediately, instead of waiting for a contact sheet. And digital costs less money as well.

For an author picture, I'd probbly go with b/w, unless the color picture is exceptional. Why? I don't know -- I think I just think b/w are more classy, more "intelligent" looking. They also tend to make the subject look more sharp (without the distraction of background colors, clothing, etc.)

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna, he paid for it in negative word-of-mouth advertising. The enlargement hangs over our fireplace and whenever anyone admires it, we tell them how we were treated. Very few people who know us or have heard our story would even consider ever going to this photographer, and our three remaining children had their senior pix made elsewhere, too. In fact, DD#2 was a rep for another guy!
And yeah, BUTTHEAD doesn't begin to cover it... <grin>

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
JennaGlatzer said:
My dad (bless him) has taken hundreds of photos of me for past books, but honestly, the little pic over there <--- is way nicer than most of them. I wish I could use it, but it's not close-up enough and I'd have to airbrush out Celine and the whole background. You can do that on the computer, but when you go to print it out, it looks silly.

I like that picture <---- of you too - very upbeat, cheery and sincere. I'd trust you in an instant based on that picture alone - if I didn't already.

LRFarley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertfarley.com
No such thing as too many pictures

I suggest you book an hour or more with the photographer and get three or four dozen poses so that you can get at least a half dozen that you're crazy about. That will give you a different pose/look for whatever kind of book you need a picture for.

Bring a couple of jackets or sweaters to go over the basic black so you look different in the shots, too, along with the backgrounds.

Backgrounds: The first thing I think of is an abstract, high-tech. Like a silver and grey, diagonal stripe, techno thing. Goes with everything. But if you write down your book types, then you can choose a couple of backgrounds for each, along with an outfit for each.

Sound like fun?

For me, I use a digital camera and either a mirror or a long arm and sometimes both.

Bob/lrf in 1986, self-portrait

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Here's my photo, since I know you're dyin' to know. . .

OK Jenna and anyone else who's curious,

Here's the link to my own photo on my website. When my wife and I had extended family photos taken before last Christmas, I had a couple done of me for my "author photo." This is the photo I submit to the newspapers when they do an article on me and my books (oh, and hey--had one come out about me last week, and another one is this week! Well, it's not all about ME, it's about my latest book and upcoming one.).

Anyway, I was going for the "dangerous author" image, whatever that might mean. I'm mostly harmless, I guess.

Make sure you're sitting down and take a peek.

Cool, or just weird?

On a side note, the same photographer who took this picture also took the pictures inside the subway when I took the tour in 1998. The pictures she took are in the book now.

underthecity

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I vote for a shot of Jenna with her Cabana Boyz. A picture says a thousand words. :)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Liam! You got back in under the right name! I'm so pleased.

I've had to postpone the author pics a bit more. My skin and I are having arguments. The one giant pimple is mostly gone, but several itty bitty ones have decided to attack me all at once. Sneaky!

Where are my Cabana Boyz? They must have sneaked out the window because they were horrified by my heinous skin affliction!

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
underthecity said:
Cool, or just weird?

Its that dangerous undercurrent cool.

I like it.

And tell your wife she got a cutie. :gone:

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
I suppose you've already decided against using a picture like the one you deleted from the PA thread earlier this week, huh? I know Photoshop pretty well and, if you were to send me a high-res one like that, I could spend as long as you want fixing it...

...Longer than you want, probably.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
First question: Anyone want to share their author photos here to inspire me?
I have my avatar pic which is what I use for articles.
I think it gives an edgy vibe to rather dry computer instructions.

Then I have my profile pic (if you click on my username, its the picture on the top right) which was the best in the set of three PA demands of its authors.
Its modeled after a rare photo of Princess Grace (she didn't wear her glasses in public). I think it sophisticated.

Second: Ideas? I'll probably go with a plain white background, and wear a solid dark-colored shirt. Beyond that, what can I do to not be boring?

You asked for it!

Wear something in the red family. I look great in burgundy/maroon but you might pop better in a tomato red. With your dark hair and light background it will give a great balance for any color cover.

Wear a solid top (a three-quarter sleeved blouse works better than a sweater) rather than a two-piece anything. You want the one-two-three of your dark hair, light face (with light background) and medium clothing. Too many separations is distracting.

Smile sweetly with a hint of teeth. Too toothy is creepy for any genre and studies have shown a no-teeth smile conveys the person is hiding something.

Leave your hair down. I think you look better that way.

Stand up but have the majority of pictures taken head-and-shoulders. Sitting down pulls the weight down, but you're too thin to pull that off.

Simple jewelry. Small earrings. A thin necklace with a small pendant. Your rings. If you don't wear a right-hand ring, then balance it with a small bracelet. Keep everything in the same metal color. For example, if you can't get all silver, white gold and platinum can mix too.

Don't cock your head.
Do look a little off to the side of the camera like you're dreaming. Straight through the lens eyes can also contribute to the creepy writer effect.

Holding your breath like you're in mid-laugh can work but don't try it for more than three pictures (especially in a row!).

Currently battling a pimple that won't die.
Hemorrhoid cream. A big glob on it overnight and a little mixed with your moisturizer during the day. Works especially nice on the big puffy ones that are unpoppable. :mad:

Oh and get a set balanced for and printed in black and white. If you leave it to newspapers and other media photo editors to take the color out of your shots, it can be scary!

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome UTC. :Hug2:

And another additon--no leaning on the typewriter for a "retro" look.

Even Jessica Fletcher couldn't pull the look off!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
No snapshots either. I have seen so many author's pic that looks like some twelve-year-old snapped with their Wal-mart disposable cameras...

;)

From what I see, we have some attractive writers here. Alphabeter is a cutie. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.