Andre Norton has passed away

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She lived a long, long life, and left us with so many great stories.

Thanks, Andre. Rest, you've earned it.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Her books were among the first, if not the first, SF books that I read. :(

After reading about her in the CNN article, I am very impressed with Tor. That publisher has real class for rushing a copy to print so they could place it in her hands just days before her death.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
:( Her books were some of the first spec-fic I ever read, too. Loved her stuff.

Eowen

Registered
Reaction score
I never read a book by her I didn't enjoy. Heck, her name on an interesting cover is enough to get me to pick up the book and read the first chapter right there in the bookstore or library.

Eowen

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
Realistically, out of 170+ books a lot were pot-boilers - but there are at least 20 absolute gems in Andre's work and that's a good tally for any writer, even without 150 other books on top! She was the second SF author I remember reading, after Jim Blish, and I was mad on her works throughout my teens and early 20s. I never really cared for the Witch World books (except Year of the Unicorn) but I loved the early pure SF - Star Rangers is still one of my favourite books. I re-read it recently on-line and it was just as good as I remembered. And Fur Magic, which is marvellously creepy, probably had a formative influence on my becoming a pagan.

She was also a thoroughly nice person and a game old girl who was still doing high-kicks even in a wheelchair! Although we will all miss her, I should think she's very glad to get shot of her failing body and be able to be active again.