We just got the cutest yellow belly turtle for my son!

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I love it too! It's really cute, anyone out here a turtle lover too? We just got him yesterday and I picked out the liveliest one who also happened to be the cutest looking to me. Here are some pics I found that show off just how adorable these little critters can be. :D

yellowbelly.jpg

yellowbelly1.jpg

yellowbelly2.jpg

yellowbelly3.jpg

yellowbelly4.jpg

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Like dolphins, and parrots... turtles always seem to have a smile on their face. :)
Very cute. I appreciate them, but wouldn't own one. I hate cleaning tanks.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah tank cleaning bites but hubby cleaned it and will clean it so it's no skin off my nose! :D

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
we have a box turtle, Mr.T. he's hangin' out with me right now. they appear to have much more intelligence than they have communication to show it-or at least, he's pretty personable to some of us here.
I think it would be frustrating to be a turtle.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
we have a box turtle, Mr.T. he's hangin' out with me right now. they appear to have much more intelligence than they have communication to show it-or at least, he's pretty personable to some of us here.

I totally agree with you, our little guy really does seem pretty intelligent and I have known turtles in the past, land ones, that also seemed to be pretty smart and kind spirited. :D

oh! cute! I love turtles, birds and fishes

Me too, all of the above are awesome animals. At the pet shop one of the workers had a adorable lovebird on his shoulder and he peered at me as I sat in my chair looking up at him, it was great! :D

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have two Southern Painted Turtles (you know, with a red stripe down their back)... WAY too small when I got them, (isn't the law 4 inches?) but the cutest things on earth. Unfortunately, tank cleaning is the most horrifying experience ever. They stink, plain and simple.

I had a central rock for them to sun themselves on, and briefly had a wall-mounted plastic rock that they could climb. Trouble was, there was some room behind the wall-mounted rock. One summer day, we'd put the tank outside so Blaze and Thor (I was young when I named them, back off!) could get some real sun, and I wandered by and notice Blaze was stuck behind the rock with his head underwater. After yanking the rock off the wall and pulling him out of the water, I thought he was pretty well done for - he was limp and his head was lolling. But a Q-tip to his nose, and an hour-long soak in an inch of Gatorade brought him back to life. But he was never the same after that. He'd clearly suffered some brain damage, and was always much slower to get to the food than his brother, Thor. Poor guy.

Anyway, just be careful what you put in the tank - nothing he can get stuck behind!

Finni

discipula vitae
Registered
Reaction score
I have an Ornate Box Turtle and a Russian Tortoise.
I love turtles; I volunteer at a reptile rehab/rescue and work mainly with land turtles and small lizards. They are hard to take care of and people who own them as pets usually don't know what they are getting into. They are some of the hardest animals to take care of, and many die needlessly. I good majority of my work at the rehab is trying to undo the damage of poor diets and the effects of tiny enclosures the animal was forced to 'live' in.

Please take care of these wonderful animals. If you have questions ask. Look at diet requirements for the specific species you have. And please make sure the enclosure is big enough; don't have too many in one tank. Watch for signs of aggression.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
We don't have any pet turtles, but there are alot of basking turtles in our ponds. Unlike many people, we love them!

In fact, just last week I dragged a felled tree into one of the ponds so that turtles can bask on them.

Last year I had so many of the turtles coming up to eat bread and stuff from me, but this year they are back to being afraid. Mother Nature taught them well in that regard, as some people shoot them. However, turtles keep ponds clean and it's a good sign to have them.

Just make sure you wash your hands after you handle a turtle.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting everyone! :D

I used to have two Southern Painted Turtles (you know, with a red stripe down their back)... WAY too small when I got them, (isn't the law 4 inches?) but the cutest things on earth. Unfortunately, tank cleaning is the most horrifying experience ever. They stink, plain and simple.

I had a central rock for them to sun themselves on, and briefly had a wall-mounted plastic rock that they could climb. Trouble was, there was some room behind the wall-mounted rock. One summer day, we'd put the tank outside so Blaze and Thor (I was young when I named them, back off!) could get some real sun, and I wandered by and notice Blaze was stuck behind the rock with his head underwater. After yanking the rock off the wall and pulling him out of the water, I thought he was pretty well done for - he was limp and his head was lolling. But a Q-tip to his nose, and an hour-long soak in an inch of Gatorade brought him back to life. But he was never the same after that. He'd clearly suffered some brain damage, and was always much slower to get to the food than his brother, Thor. Poor guy.

Anyway, just be careful what you put in the tank - nothing he can get stuck behind!

What a horrible thing to happen to your little friend Hillary. I am so sorry you and he went through such trauma. We have a brick in there for now. He' just happy with his light and his little pond.

I have an Ornate Box Turtle and a Russian Tortoise.
I love turtles; I volunteer at a reptile rehab/rescue and work mainly with land turtles and small lizards. They are hard to take care of and people who own them as pets usually don't know what they are getting into. They are some of the hardest animals to take care of, and many die needlessly. I good majority of my work at the rehab is trying to undo the damage of poor diets and the effects of tiny enclosures the animal was forced to 'live' in.

Please take care of these wonderful animals. If you have questions ask. Look at diet requirements for the specific species you have. And please make sure the enclosure is big enough; don't have too many in one tank. Watch for signs of aggression.
You don't have to worry Finni, I love my new pet already, talked to him on the drive home and he's not too stressed out by the transition from pet shop to private home is going smoothly. Thank you for posting! :D I will only have just the one turtle, I wouldn't want two to live together, he's our little buddy.
We don't have any pet turtles, but there are alot of basking turtles in our ponds. Unlike many people, we love them!

In fact, just last week I dragged a felled tree into one of the ponds so that turtles can bask on them.

That was sweet eldragon! I would do something like that for them too. I've always loved Turtles. :)

Last year I had so many of the turtles coming up to eat bread and stuff from me, but this year they are back to being afraid. Mother Nature taught them well in that regard, as some people shoot them. However, turtles keep ponds clean and it's a good sign to have them.

Just make sure you wash your hands after you handle a turtle.

Can you say salmonella?

Totally hear ya here, on both counts, and we wash our hands well....

So overall he's a great pet for us. :D

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com

I got a box turtle when I was in college, and I loved him! He was definitely a smart cookie, but let me say - MOST STUBBORN ANIMAL I HAVE EVER MET. Seriously, he would NOT give up on anything.

1 - Once I gave him a taste of banana, his good eating habits were toast. He would hold out, totally starve himself, until I gave him bananas and/or mealworms. It was like this contest between us. He refused from the first day I got him to eat his store bought food.
2 - Sometimes I would take him to this creek to play. I'd make a little pool for him to swim in and let him crawl around on the rocks. Well, every time I did that, this is how it went: I would set him down on the land-side of the pool. Immediately he would head straigh across it towards the creek. I would catch him as soon as he got to the running water and place him back where he had started. He would then head right across again - but never in the same path. The second time, he would deviate maybe 4 inches from the middle of the pool. Third time, 8 inches deviation. Fourth time, 12 inches deviation.

Sadly, he eventually ran away. I was at my parents house and they had a big back yard which I let him run around in. Then I put him in a tub with some rocks and stuff and then I accidentally fell asleep. When I woke up, he was GONE. I searched that yard and the surrounding area for days, never saw even a trace of him. But it was a pretty rural area, so I suspect he made out just fine.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. T was a gift to my daughter, who was not very faithful about feeding him-so we've adopted him as a family pet instead. we don't buy special food for him, he eats salad and veggies and fruit, especially stuff in the first stage of rot, which is nice as we are throwing away less food these days. his favorites are bell peppers, strawberries, and yes, bananas. he has a surprisingly large appetite.
he likes being out of his aquarium so much that we have considered letting him go free-we'd need to do more research, but I'm pretty sure our local area here would be ideal for him (creek, lots of native grasses etc) but there are squirrels aand raccoons iin the area..which I would expect to be natural enemies. I think we're just going to build a nice outdoor habitat for him once Spring is here.