PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any advice about selling my photos?

IceWindSnow123
03-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Hi!
I'm a newbie..
I've been searching this forum for any advice on this topic, and so far, can't find anything.
I have taken thousands of unique digital photos of my cats, (former ferals), that I would like to know how or who to sell them to.
I have started writing my own greeting cards with the pics on them, but it's not feasable for me to go store to store to try selling them. I sent a few to a greeting card company, and they were returned.
I have been told they are really funny and unique, but I can't seem to find a good market for them. People who see them, usually ask to buy them from me. I had a florist shop ask me to set up a display and also a convienient store, but they also wanted a manafest, and I don't know how to do that, or how to start up a business.
Does anyone have any advice? Should I just stick to writing?
(I wrote for an e-zine for a while until I found the pay was too low and I no longer found it fun. I also wrote for my local paper for 4 years and took my own photos, until I had an accident that made me homebound).
Thanks for the great website with so much info and nice people!
Linda

awatkins
03-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Hi Linda and welcome! Glad you joined us. :)

Re: your cat photos: you can find photo guidelines online in some cases. Look for the web sites of the various magazines that feature cats, or pick up copies at your favorite bookstore and check to see if they mention how to receive their guidelines. Most magazines have certain formats they work with. Oh, and sometimes it can be tricky to find the photography guidelines on the web sites. If the section isn't obvious, look in their 'about us' or 'contact' sections.

As for the greeting card questions, I have no idea. But you might try asking in the greeting card area of the board! Some really great folks there who might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Hope you'll post again. :)

Ella
03-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Have you looked at stock photography businesses, such as Comstock? This would great for someone like you with a lot of photos.

You could build a website and sell prints (or your cards.)

Ella.

Rose
03-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Hi IceWindSnow123,

I'm sure you've heard of Writer's Market...did you know there's also a Photographer's Market?

Here's the link on Amazon, and it might be worthwhile to check out the "Customers who bought this book also bought..." section.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/158297277X/104-5231754-2231902

Hope this helps!

Reece10
03-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Hi Linda,

Did you say CATS!!!

Try here:

33 mm slides, color prints or high res .jpegs, pay $25 to $50 for color photos.
http://www.iluvcats.com/photguid.html

Reece