A humble return

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I suppose those who read this post will be surprised to see me back. Roughly four months have gone by and I've become a very different man. For one thing, I found the religious faith that works best for me, and I don't intend to try to win converts, at least not here. For another thing, at the request of several of my close friends, I've asked my psychiatrist about anti-anxiety medications. I'm presently taking Magnesium to calm me down. It works, very well, so I will likely be less of a bother to most of the people here than I used to be.

In finding my religious niche, as it were, I have also found some self-confidence that I severely lacked over the last twenty or so years. I found out also, that I can humble myself without taking away my dignity. The main reason for my stand-offish attitude, was pride and a feeling that if I did not win an argument -- many times at all costs -- I would lose what precious dignity I might have possessed at the time.

Also, I've come to realize I don't need other people's approval of me, to be good and right with both myself and with others.

Finally, I've learned to grow up. In taking major responsibilities in my own personal situations, I have found a sense of accomplishment and thus, self-worth increases dramatically within me.

So those are some of the things that have happened to me over the last four months or so. I can only say I am a better person for the changes, and also that I wish to at least try to reconcile myself with those on this board that I have offended over the last three years. My pride, and the need to be right, has alienated me from a lot of you, and I see that clearly now, for the first time, to the extent that I am willing to do something about it.

My grateful thanks to Mac, for allowing me to come back, and my humble apologies to all whom I have hurt over the years. If you're willing to forgive, I will much appreciate it. If not, I will understand. But in any case, I needed to get that off my chest.

Sincerely,

Sean D. Schaffer

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful news Sean. I will be looking forward to meeting the new you, and to any insight you have to offer.
Welcome Back!
-TL

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad you're back and things are better for you, Sean. I've missed you and always thought of you as a special friend of mine.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Sean,

I've adored you and your unpretentious personality for a very long time. I've missed you terribly in the WPR. Your honesty and camraderie have been sorely missed. You took a chunk out of my heart when you left, and I can't imagine why you vacated the board in the first place.

I'd love to hear how your writing life has been progressing. If you need a shoulder, Tri's here for you.

So glad to have you back.

NOW GET YOUR FANNY BACK TO THE WPR THREAD, MISTER!

Tri

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, Sean. I never thought of you as anything but a really sweet, sincere guy but I look forward to the new you too. :)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Hey there, Sean! The good news is you had no spinach in your teeth while you said that. welcome back, sir.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Back Sean, I am glad you've made such headway in life in the past few months. I have to tell you anti-anxiety medication is really useful for coping with overwhelming anxiety. I really understand having lived with it for years, I finally got treatment for it and feel so much better.

I had a serious anxiety attack yesterday, and when the crisis was over and my heart would not calm down and I couldn't stop shaking I took one of my benzo's and within ten minutes it was all but gone. Those physical symptoms that come with anxiety are damned hard to manage and occasional use of a benzo (in my case Lorazepam/Avitan) can really be a way to stablize those annoying symptoms.

It's good to have you back, don't sweat the past, just focus on the present and the future and enjoy yourself and others around you. :D I wondered where you went, I wonder where a lot of people are now, but I can appreciate that they have lives and writing to attend to, but it's still hard NOT to miss them. :)

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody. I really appreciate your kindness. :)

One thing other people have noticed about me, is I have trouble knowing whether someone is joking or being serious ... especially online. But I'm finding myself more able to distinguish between the two. I'm not perfect at it yet, but I have a friend who is helping me with this.

Plus, I've cut certain people -- not online -- out of my life entirely. They come to me in nightmares, but that's it. My friendship with some of those people turned out to be very destructive for me. They've been out of my life since about the same time I got offline in the first place. Now that they're gone, I find myself more confident than I used to be. They're not pulling me down, so that helps a lot.

BTW, I'm looking for the oven mitt as we speak, Spooky. :)

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Okay your back, blah, blah blah, what I want to know, is what kind of great new drugs are you going share with the rest of us...

THIS IS A TEST.... Joking or not Joking.....YOU DECIDE..... welcome back, sean...

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Finally! Good to be hearing your voice again, Sean. Do continue to say it as you see it--that's what makes your posts good reads and thought provoking. Welcome home!

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear your life is improving, Sean. Anxiety disorders are no joke for those they afflict.

Welcome back.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sean! Welcome back! It is so good to hear you're doing well, and especially good to hear you've decided to come back. :Hug2: