PDA

View Full Version : A humble return

Sean D. Schaffer
02-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi everyone,

I suppose those who read this post will be surprised to see me back. Roughly four months have gone by and I've become a very different man. For one thing, I found the religious faith that works best for me, and I don't intend to try to win converts, at least not here. For another thing, at the request of several of my close friends, I've asked my psychiatrist about anti-anxiety medications. I'm presently taking Magnesium to calm me down. It works, very well, so I will likely be less of a bother to most of the people here than I used to be.

In finding my religious niche, as it were, I have also found some self-confidence that I severely lacked over the last twenty or so years. I found out also, that I can humble myself without taking away my dignity. The main reason for my stand-offish attitude, was pride and a feeling that if I did not win an argument -- many times at all costs -- I would lose what precious dignity I might have possessed at the time.

Also, I've come to realize I don't need other people's approval of me, to be good and right with both myself and with others.

Finally, I've learned to grow up. In taking major responsibilities in my own personal situations, I have found a sense of accomplishment and thus, self-worth increases dramatically within me.

So those are some of the things that have happened to me over the last four months or so. I can only say I am a better person for the changes, and also that I wish to at least try to reconcile myself with those on this board that I have offended over the last three years. My pride, and the need to be right, has alienated me from a lot of you, and I see that clearly now, for the first time, to the extent that I am willing to do something about it.

My grateful thanks to Mac, for allowing me to come back, and my humble apologies to all whom I have hurt over the years. If you're willing to forgive, I will much appreciate it. If not, I will understand. But in any case, I needed to get that off my chest.

Sincerely,

Sean D. Schaffer

JennaGlatzer
02-09-2008, 10:13 AM
I still love ya, man. :D Welcome home. I'm so glad to hear you're doing well.

SpookyWriter
02-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Just return my oven mitten and all is forgiven. Welcome back.

JLCwrites
02-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Wonderful news Sean. I will be looking forward to meeting the new you, and to any insight you have to offer.
Welcome Back!
-TL

Susie
02-09-2008, 10:42 AM
I'm so glad you're back and things are better for you, Sean. I've missed you and always thought of you as a special friend of mine.

SpookyWriter
02-09-2008, 10:44 AM
That's because he gave you chocolates. Right?

triceretops
02-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Sean,

I've adored you and your unpretentious personality for a very long time. I've missed you terribly in the WPR. Your honesty and camraderie have been sorely missed. You took a chunk out of my heart when you left, and I can't imagine why you vacated the board in the first place.

I'd love to hear how your writing life has been progressing. If you need a shoulder, Tri's here for you.

So glad to have you back.

NOW GET YOUR FANNY BACK TO THE WPR THREAD, MISTER!

Tri

aruna
02-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi Sean, I remember you as a good sweet friend and I was never offended by you, and I hope you never by me! I missed you... welcome back!

kristie911
02-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Welcome back, Sean. I never thought of you as anything but a really sweet, sincere guy but I look forward to the new you too. :)

CACTUSWENDY
02-09-2008, 11:57 AM
w00t....welcome back.....;)

Cassiopeia
02-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Sean,

Sweetie, you are too hard on yourself. I have known you for some time now and I find your passion for life and your writing admirable.

Welcome home.

:Hug2:

Shweta
02-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Welcome back, Sean :)

oarsman
02-09-2008, 02:08 PM
It's good to have you back, Sean! :)

Mandy-Jane
02-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Welcome back Sean. I missed you too. Look forward to seeing around again.

Devil Ledbetter
02-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Welcome back Sean. You never offended me, and I always enjoyed reading your posts.

truelyana
02-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Welcome back Sean, you never left. :)

Happy to hear you have found yourself again.

Perks
02-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Hey there, Sean! The good news is you had no spinach in your teeth while you said that. welcome back, sir.

Pamster
02-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Welcome Back Sean, I am glad you've made such headway in life in the past few months. I have to tell you anti-anxiety medication is really useful for coping with overwhelming anxiety. I really understand having lived with it for years, I finally got treatment for it and feel so much better.

I had a serious anxiety attack yesterday, and when the crisis was over and my heart would not calm down and I couldn't stop shaking I took one of my benzo's and within ten minutes it was all but gone. Those physical symptoms that come with anxiety are damned hard to manage and occasional use of a benzo (in my case Lorazepam/Avitan) can really be a way to stablize those annoying symptoms.

It's good to have you back, don't sweat the past, just focus on the present and the future and enjoy yourself and others around you. :D I wondered where you went, I wonder where a lot of people are now, but I can appreciate that they have lives and writing to attend to, but it's still hard NOT to miss them. :)

Sean D. Schaffer
02-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks, everybody. I really appreciate your kindness. :)

One thing other people have noticed about me, is I have trouble knowing whether someone is joking or being serious ... especially online. But I'm finding myself more able to distinguish between the two. I'm not perfect at it yet, but I have a friend who is helping me with this.

Plus, I've cut certain people -- not online -- out of my life entirely. They come to me in nightmares, but that's it. My friendship with some of those people turned out to be very destructive for me. They've been out of my life since about the same time I got offline in the first place. Now that they're gone, I find myself more confident than I used to be. They're not pulling me down, so that helps a lot.

BTW, I'm looking for the oven mitt as we speak, Spooky. :)

Little Red Barn
02-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Hey Sean, welcome back! :)

Don Allen
02-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Okay your back, blah, blah blah, what I want to know, is what kind of great new drugs are you going share with the rest of us...

THIS IS A TEST.... Joking or not Joking.....YOU DECIDE..... welcome back, sean...

Sarita
02-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Welcome home, Sean.

Meerkat
02-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Finally! Good to be hearing your voice again, Sean. Do continue to say it as you see it--that's what makes your posts good reads and thought provoking. Welcome home!

BardSkye
02-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Glad to hear your life is improving, Sean. Anxiety disorders are no joke for those they afflict.

Welcome back.

Pat~
02-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Sean! Welcome back! It is so good to hear you're doing well, and especially good to hear you've decided to come back. :Hug2:

Maryn
02-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Nice to see you again, Sean, and to hear you're in a good personal place.

Maryn, nodding vigorously

Kerr
02-09-2008, 09:20 PM
:)
One thing other people have noticed about me, is I have trouble knowing whether someone is joking or being serious ... especially online. But I'm finding myself more able to distinguish between the two. I'm not perfect at it yet, but I have a friend who is helping me with this.
:)

Hi Sean! I think we probably all have problems in this area. (funny when you think about it for a bunch of writers!) I've learned not to answer so quickly if I'm troubled by the meaning. Sounds like you did the same, a little time out to think.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Sean! Darlin'! Good to see you again... welcome home.

DamaNegra
02-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Sean!! I'm so happy you came back!! Don't leave us again, okay? :) I love having you here!

DWSTXS
02-09-2008, 10:45 PM
well....I never met you in the past.....but glad you're back anyway.....it's great that you found some new direction in life and we all wish you the best! Now, get to writing! LOL

Yeshanu
02-10-2008, 03:36 AM
One thing other people have noticed about me, is I have trouble knowing whether someone is joking or being serious ... especially online.

Don't be so hard on yourself for this, Sean, especially with regards to the online part. Unless you know a person really well, it is hard to tell sometimes what's a joke and what's not. (I'm trying to keep out of trouble at my new work for this until they get to know me better...)

And welcome back. Re-read Tri's post :D and I'll see you in the WRP tomorrow.

Serenity
02-10-2008, 03:45 AM
My best friend and roommate is a member here Sean. I know her very well and even *I* can't tell sometimes if she's joking or not. Misunderstandings are a part of everyday life. It's how we deal with them that matters. I am glad you are better and glad you are back!:Hug2:

WriterInChains
02-10-2008, 03:59 AM
Welcome back! I hope things keep getting better for ya! :)

Sage
02-10-2008, 04:02 AM
Welcome back, Sean. Glad to see you around :)

Sean D. Schaffer
02-10-2008, 04:11 AM
You people are cool. I wanted to let you know I appreciate very much your kindness, everyone. :)

I'm glad to be back.

SpookyWriter
02-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Thanks for returning my oven mitten. You can come over for brownies later.

Uncarved
02-10-2008, 04:20 AM
welcome back Sean, good to see you again.

rugcat
02-10-2008, 04:43 AM
Thanks, everybody. I really appreciate your kindness. :)

One thing other people have noticed about me, is I have trouble knowing whether someone is joking or being serious ... especially online. Welcome back, Sean. If you have trouble interpreting tone online, you're not alone. That's why they invented smilies. Since I refuse to use them my attempts at humor are often misread, but I just put that down to my lack of writerly skill.

Seriously man, good to see you.

SpookyWriter
02-10-2008, 04:48 AM
Humor online is subjective. Some people are subjected to more bad puns than others.

MacAllister
02-10-2008, 04:48 AM
Welcome home, Sean. We all missed you, you know.

Mel
02-10-2008, 04:53 AM
Nice to see you back, Sean!

Spooky's got brownies!

SpookyWriter
02-10-2008, 05:07 AM
Nice to see you back, Sean!

Spooky's got brownies!Spooky had brownies. I ate them in honor of Sean's return. Next batch I will make more than three.

WerenCole
02-10-2008, 05:35 AM
Hi!

Dave.C.Robinson
02-10-2008, 05:50 AM
Welcome back Sean.

Serenity
02-10-2008, 06:17 AM
Spooky had brownies. I ate them in honor of Sean's return. Next batch I will make more than three.

Depends... are they the 'special' brownies????? :e2brows:

melaniehoo
02-10-2008, 06:23 AM
Welcome back, Sean, and good luck. It sounds like you're in a much better state of mind, I wish you the best. :)

SpookyWriter
02-10-2008, 06:25 AM
Depends... are they the 'special' brownies????? :e2brows:Is there another kind?

Silver King
02-10-2008, 06:38 AM
...That's why they invented smilies. Since I refuse to use them my attempts at humor are often misread, but I just put that down to my lack of writerly skill.
That's how I used to feel also. It took me a few hundred posts to realize that maybe, just maybe, some folks didn't understand I was kidding around.

It was a huge leap of faith to start using those bald icons. In the end, though, it has saved me loads of heartache. The smilies don't cost anything, and they're the equivalent of nudging a friend with an elbow when you want them to know you're not being serious.

As for Sean, well, I guess it's all right he came back. I missed him a little. ;)

SpookyWriter
02-10-2008, 06:41 AM
As for Sean, well, I guess it's all right he came back. I missed him a little. ;)He was just a lost sheep.

http://www.pdatoday.com/images/uploads/sheep240307_486x386.jpg

Mel
02-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Spooky had brownies. I ate them in honor of Sean's return. Next batch I will make more than three.

Must have been humongous brownies!

writerterri
02-10-2008, 07:16 AM
Growing up is hard to do. Good for you! Welcome back.

PS. I never knew you as rude.

rugcat
02-10-2008, 07:58 AM
That's how I used to feel also. It took me a few hundred posts to realize that maybe, just maybe, some folks didn't understand I was kidding around.Sometimes I'm deliberately ambiguous -- just my passive-aggressive way of stirring the pot.

Susie
02-10-2008, 11:36 PM
That's because he gave you chocolates. Right?

How did you know, Spooky? :D

SpookyWriter
02-10-2008, 11:38 PM
How did you know, Spooky? :DI'm a pyschocolate.

Cassiopeia
02-11-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm a pyschocolate.

*bites her lip and runs from the thread before saying anything that might paint her less than a lady*

;)

billythrilly7th
02-11-2008, 12:50 AM
My grateful thanks to Mac, for allowing me to come back, and my humble apologies to all whom I have hurt over the years. If you're willing to forgive, I will much appreciate it.

I do forgive you.

Thank you for the apology.

SpookyWriter
02-11-2008, 12:56 AM
I do forgive you.

Thank you for the apology.:roll: I thought you said anthology.

KTC
02-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Hello Sean,

Sorry to say you never rubbed me the wrong way. That sounds wrong, but hopefully you know what I mean. I'll be one of the ones to whom you have nothing to apologize for. Glad to see that you returned...and glad to see that you have found a place of happiness. May you continue to find that happy place. Welcome back.

Kevin