60 seconds of silence

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Silence? Nah, that's sixty seconds of ANTICIPATION!

I've got a few SX-70's I've picked up at thrift stores and yard sales (I was in high school when that model came out, I was fascinated with it), and even bought a pack of film to shoot (it was $5 "new" but expired at a thrift store, there usually about $10 and they only have ten shots!). The pics it takes were pretty bad, but it may have been due to old film. I recently found an SX-70 Sonar (auto-focus - polaroid developed that technology just for that camera), definitely the "top-of-the-line" point-and-shoot camera of its time, but I have no idea if this one actually works.

The pics from those, and the later "one step" cameras, became ubiquitous in culture. There was one of a pregnant Sarah Conner driving a Jeep in "Terminator" (or was it T2?) - the picture was shown in a scene that happened BEFORE the pic was taken.

More trivial stuff: Tom Sholz, the guitarist-mastermind of the rock group Boston (just last year we lost the lead singer Bradley Delp) was an engineer at Polaroid. Well, until a record label signed up his "band," then he had to hire some other musicians to make up a real band...

I recall Ansel Adams doing something like "life-size" instant photography with very-large-format Polaroid film. No doubt the film was very expensive, too.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Dammit, one of my characters takes Polaroids. They've ruined my book.
From my own book:
Dennis took a piece of paper from his folio and handed it to Dorian. “My mom says I drew this when I was little, but I don’t even remember it.”
“A self-portrait. Impressive.”
“No, that’s my brother Kevin. He was five and I was three. I guess I could always draw, but I never thought it was anything special. When I was seven, an art teacher at school called me a prodigy, but everyone else called me ‘The Human Camera’ or ‘Mr. Polaroid’, so I stopped drawing pictures of the other kids in class.”
“Those are compliments, Dennis,” said Dorian. “When I get back to the hangar, I’m going to call the Arts Council. They really should see these. Mind if I take a few with me?”
“Yeah, sure,” said Dennis.

"Mr. Megapixels" just doesn't pack the same wallop.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:cry:Some of my best photos are polaroids; taken during a fair or carnival. Those tiny events can't afford to set up with digital cameras and portable photo printers.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I happen to live in Kodakland, and even here there are many places to buy new, unexpired Polaroid film. A half dozen local photography and camera stores carry it (and they probably do where you live, too). A fast search shows my local OfficeMax, Target, and Sam's Club have it. If it's not shelved at the local store where you live, it can be ordered online.

Maryn, performing a public service

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
WTF? My SX-70 land camera is just a paperweight now?
Not JUST a paperweight, but a COLLECTIBLE paperweight.

Bastards.

Well, at least I still have 35mm film.

And my super8mm camcorder.

:cry:Some of my best photos are polaroids; taken during a fair or carnival. Those tiny events can't afford to set up with digital cameras and portable photo printers.
I've used the cheap "one use" cameras, it seems they're still popular, and are problably now the main use of film. Unlike the cheapo digital cameras, when you press the shutter it IMMEDIATELY takes the picture. The digital POS's are no good for live-action shots, and I'm not ready to pay big bucks for a digital camera with the features I'd really like.