References---do I have to have them??

nancyadams

Registered
Reaction score
I hated references in high school; I hated them in college; and I hate them now as a full fledged adult. Is it a requirement to have them at the end of your non-fiction book, especially if you already mention the source of what you mention, and the author, in the chapter, whether book or website? Or is it a must in spite of mentioning the author and source in the chapter?? Your comments appreciated.

Nancy

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
By references, do you mean citations? And are you using material from books and others sources (e.g. journals)? Please elaborate so we can help!

nancyadams

Registered
Reaction score
By references, do you mean citations? And are you using material from books and others sources (e.g. journals)? Please elaborate so we can help!

Yes, I quote different authors (and have permission from them), and before the quote, I mention either their book or website from which the quoted material comes from.

Since I wrote the question, I think I understand better that I should bite the bullet and include them anyway, including references (citations) to material that I learned from, but didn't necessarily quote. Darn and ugh. But it will only add to the importance and quality of the book.