PDA

View Full Version : References---do I have to have them??

nancyadams
02-08-2008, 11:26 PM
I hated references in high school; I hated them in college; and I hate them now as a full fledged adult. Is it a requirement to have them at the end of your non-fiction book, especially if you already mention the source of what you mention, and the author, in the chapter, whether book or website? Or is it a must in spite of mentioning the author and source in the chapter?? Your comments appreciated.

Nancy

tombookpub
02-09-2008, 07:09 AM
By references, do you mean citations? And are you using material from books and others sources (e.g. journals)? Please elaborate so we can help!

nancyadams
02-09-2008, 08:10 AM
By references, do you mean citations? And are you using material from books and others sources (e.g. journals)? Please elaborate so we can help!

Yes, I quote different authors (and have permission from them), and before the quote, I mention either their book or website from which the quoted material comes from.

Since I wrote the question, I think I understand better that I should bite the bullet and include them anyway, including references (citations) to material that I learned from, but didn't necessarily quote. Darn and ugh. But it will only add to the importance and quality of the book.