Oh dear god. "She looks a little bit wrong."

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My youngest daughter is the queen of composure and understatement. That or else she's in need of a stake through the heart.

She just came to me and said, "Mom, I think there's a problem with Harriette. She looks a little bit wrong."

Um. Yeah. Harriette's a mouse, cellmate to Gussie. And she's very dead. And Gussie's eaten her face off.

If my face is ever missing and replaced with a bloody mess, I hope it's seen as just a tad more urgent to my children than poor Harriette earned.

Last edited:

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
On the plus side, we know she's not squeamish. I have 30 year old friends who probably would have either screamed or puked. :D

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Um. Yeah. Harriette's a mouse, cellmate to Gussie. And she's very dead. And Gussie's eaten her face off.

Wow...it's The Stand but with mice. Very creepy.

And yes, I probably would have screamed...at least a little bit.

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, Perks, I'm sorry you lost your mouse. It's gruesome to find them like that, I know, but it's just what animals do, I guess. Your daughter is unflappable, for sure, though!!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Rianne-1.jpg

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Aw man, WHY do mice have to do that??? When I was little I had two mice and this same thing happened, only the one still living had only gotten to the ear by the time I found them.

And yeah, I cried. Your daughter's a freak. ;)

Seriously, though, how old is your kid? I think this is probably normal if she's younger than five or six. Not surprisingly, kids take their cues on how to react to stuff like this from other people, and if she hasn't experienced anything like this before it's not surprising she didn't know how to react.

I say this because when I was living in China, where they eat lots of things that are still looking at you, we had a 4 year old on our team. By the end of the year, she was totally used to eating eyeballs and feet and whatever else. When she saw an animal she didn't recognize, she would say, "Mommie, do we eat those?" She wouldn't have blinked twice at a faceless mouse.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Our daughters recently admitted that they used to sneak downstairs and pet the mice in their "beds" under the kitchen sink. This was in response to our telling them that the "beds" were actually glue traps.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Our daughters recently admitted that they used to sneak downstairs and pet the mice in their "beds" under the kitchen sink. This was in response to our telling them that the "beds" were actually glue traps.
Holy shit.