Help! I need recipes...

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I have a problem. I was brought up, with no apologies, in a meat-and-potatoes family, and I know how to cook roasts and mashed potatoes and fried chicken and suchlike.

But...

My eldest became a vegetarian after working at a meat packers for four days, and my daughter has decided to go meatless for Lent. I haven't a clue what to cook for Saturday dinners.

We have the pasta and pizza thing down okay, but what we really need is a good recipe for Gallo Pinto, as both of them have been to Nicaragua, and enjoy the dish. If anyone has a recipe that's not to hard to make, and was handed down by their great-great-grandmother, I'd appreciate it.

Also any recipes that are fairly simple, nutritious and delicious.

C'mon, all ye vegetarians! Step up and earn those rep points!

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Well, if you've got the pasta end sorted...

There is that rice thing.
It's one of those sort-of stew things that has no particular recipe. Rice, vegetables and stock. Cook until it's all cooked and the stock has reduced.
Tastygood.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have the recipe you want, but my family really enjoys a vegetable enchilada. I make them with peppers and onions and corn and black beans and zucchini and tomatoes, all sauteed up and rolled in whole-wheat tortillas, totally saturated with sauce, piled with low-fat cheese, baked until bubbly and yummy, served with salsa and sour cream. Using canned corn, beans and tomatoes cut time, but the onions, peppers, and zukes are better fresh. You could try frozen, though.

You could make them easier by layering like a casserole instead of filling and rolling the tortillas.

Now I'm hungry.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I found and bumpped the recipie thread front and center for you!!!

HUGZ!!!!!

Nice to have you bopping around again!!!!!

Last edited:

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
One of our favorties... (can't remember where I got it, but soooo yummy)

TOASTED ALMOND TOFU BURGERS

1 12-ounce package firm tofu, drained, patted dry, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 teaspoons minced peeled ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup almonds, toasted, finely chopped
1 large egg white, beaten to blend
4 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
4 sesame seed buns, toasted
4 tomato slices
1 cup alfalfa sprouts

Wrap tofu in doubled dish towel. Place on work surface. Weigh down with a board topped with food cans or weights for 1 hour. Squeeze towel-wrapped tofu to extract as much liquid as possible from tofu. Transfer tofu to medium bowl. Using fork, mash into small pieces.
Spray medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; place over medium heat. Add carrot, green onions, ginger and garlic; sauté until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Cool. Mix carrot mixture, almonds, egg white, soy sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds into tofu. Season with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)
If grilling, spray grill rack with nonstick spray, then prepare barbecue (medium heat). If sautéing, spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Lightly spray patties on both sides with nonstick spray. Place patties on grill or in skillet and cook until golden brown and heated through, about three minutes per side.
Place 1 burger on each bun bottom. Top each with 1 tomato slice, some sprouts and bun top and serve. Per serving: calories, 295; total fat, 15 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 0.

Serves 4.
Made a few modifications added an extra tsp of seasame seeds, an extra clove of garlic, an extra egg white, some oatbran to bind it together better, and a dash of nutmeg.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Yeshanu, you should have a "meatless" section in your grocery's freezer section. Morningstar Farms, Boca, etc. M Farms makes a mean Black Bean Burger. Boca makes a vegan burger that made my husband think I took up meat again. They all have crumbled "beef" (made from soy).

We have tacos, burgers, bacon, even ribs that are very good. Some of the things take a bit of getting used to if you're used to meat, but some things taste like the "real thing." Experiment!

And... good for you guys! Veggie eating is good for everyone involved.

Oh, one more thing: go to www.vegetariantimes.com. They have great recipes of all levels of difficulty.

Good luck!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone. I'll check out some of those recipes. And I am so doing the enchiladas... (Now I'm hungry too. :tongue )

The kids aren't big on the "tofu disguised as meat" stuff, and I'm not a fan of tofu much at all, but almonds...

Mmmm. Almonds. Gotta try that one too.

Thanks again.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a vegetarian. (Once again, after an 8-year hiatus). Here's my favorite lunch.

Hummus with roasted red peppers

1 large can chick peas, drained and rinsed
2 TBSP tahini (sesame seed paste)
Juice of 1 lemon
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 cup roasted red peppers
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. coriander
1/4 tsp. cayenne
cracked pepper and sea salt to taste
Water
Finely chopped parsley

Blend all but the parsley in a blender, adding water as necessary for smooth consistency. Pour into a bowl and fold in parsley. Serve with pita chips.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
The Kida made Gallo Pinto for supper tonight. It's okay, but her dad's currently sneaking out for a cheeseburger...

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dinner is for beef eaters. For everyone else, there's cereal.

Google "easy vegetarian meals" and see what comes up. And tofu isn't so bad sliced up and fried in heart smart margarine. Spice it up a bit and pour some spaghetti sauce over it. I'm not a vegetarian but that sure is tasty.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite meatless meals, Peanut Soup

INGREDIENTS

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 medium onions, chopped
* 2 large red bell peppers, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with liquid
* 8 cups vegetable broth or stock
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
* 2/3 cup extra crunchy peanut butter
* 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Cook onions and bell peppers until lightly browned and tender, stirring in garlic when almost done to prevent burning. Stir in tomatoes, vegetable stock, pepper, and chili powder. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
2. Stir in rice, cover, and simmer another fifteen minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in peanut butter until well blended, and serve.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Ruth: try my minestrone soup, but substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. Totally vegetarian.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
*shameless plug*
There is also my blog which has quite a few recipes and you can find them by ingredient. Just click on the link in my sig. There is also a link to A Veggie Venture at my blog.
*shameless plug*

That was definitely worth looking up, rosemerry. The peanut soup also looks delicious, and of course at some point will have to try the minestrone.

I'll have to get the kida to come back to the forums, Peter. She's the one who's taken up cooking as a hobby.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
We are not veggies, but eat a lot of food with little or no meat because 1) it tastes good and 2) it's cheap. We like lentils a lot, especially the orange colored lentils. Here's what we had last night;

Chop one medium and fry up in olive oil on medium-low heat until golden
Add on 1/2 tsp chopped garlic and cook for about two minutes
Add 2 cups of orange lentils (you do not have to presoak these)
Add 1 Tb curry powder of your choice OR 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp corriander (spice, not leaves), 1/2 tsp dried oregano, a generous pinch of saffron. (actually, you can add whatever spices you like)
Stir for about 2 minute
Add 3 cups of broth (veggy or chicken)
1 can of diced tomato
Stir, cover, cook, checking every few minutes. If you need more liquid, add it.
The lentils will begin to fall apart. They should be very tender or almost pureed looking when done.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with rice.

You can also take leftovers of this and mix with broth to make a nice soup.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Yeshanu,

I'm, well, a fishitarian, and since I do the cooking, my husband is too. I haven't eaten red meat or chicken in more than ten years, and I rarely eat seafood or dairy.

Beans are your friend: Black beans in a chili with espresso powder to give it some kick. Great Northern beans simmered with sage leaves. White beans, olive oil, chopped garlic, tomatoes, and lemon juice in a Middle Eastern dish called ful medammas--this is pretty easy and it's a complete meal in one dish.

Imitation soy "meats" are pretty good. Do this: Preheat your oven to 350 F. Sweat some chopped onions and garlic in a little olive oil, then add some veggie crumbles (this is textured vegetable protein, basically soy--your market may sell it as Soysage) and a couple of cans of diced tomatoes. While the whole mix is bubbling under medium heat, season to taste with cumin and chili powder.

Spoon the mixture into soft tortillas on a baking sheet prepared with cooking spray. Wrap them up tightly and spoon a little salsa on top of each one. Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 15 minutes.

Allow the burritos to cool slightly, cut into thirds and serve. Messy but good. Even my most carnivorous friends like this one.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
spaghetti squash does work pretty well as a pasta in terms of flavor, says a meat eater.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I have a great recipe for chunky veggie chili that even my carnivore husband likes;

1 28oz crushed (or diced) tomatoes
1 8 oz can tomatoe sauce
1 yellow (or red) pepper- diced
1 potatoe diced
1 onion diced
1 15oz can garbanzo beans drained
1 can red- white- northern or any other type od bean (drained)
chili powder to taste

Put all ingrediants in large pot and simmer until potatoes are tender- serve over warm corn bread and garnish with sour cream and shredded chedder cheese- Yum!

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, there's always pasta with;

pesto
alfredo sauce
marinara sauce
carbonara (substitute olive oil for bacon fat)
And on and on...

I really don't like the 'fake' meat like the veggie 'hambergers' and 'hotdogs.' There are so many wonderful foods without meat, why bother with the yucky stuff.

The only exception are Chinese dishes. You can substitute mock duck, mock pork, mock fish, etc for meat in Chinese food. It doesn't work to do this in western food, though. The taste and texture doesn't work in European or American foods.

black ink

Registered
Reaction score
We're not vegetarians, but we eat a lot of veggie meals. Black beans can be subbed for meat in many recipes. We like chili, enchiladas, tacos, stuffed peppers. We also enjoy Indian food, which uses a lot of lentils.