play goes into production

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
After a long development journey the pace is picking up as my play Pub Quiz goes into production. A month of rehearsals start in March, the tour starts in April, the set is being built as we speak, marketing and publicity is underway, tickets are on sale and I am being dragged out of my self imposed hermit like existence. My producers asked me to keep a diary about the process and then asked me to put in on a blog. So here I am out in the open as it were (shudder) trying to get to grips with the whole blogging thing. If anyone is interested in what goes on in the run up to the play being produced you can find my experience documented at:

http://carinam.wordpress.com/

Dear mods, I put this on the blogging thread as well but thought it best here.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful! My congratulations.

Maryn, who'll buy you a beer this evening

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Dammit, how'd I miss this?!

Big congrats -- no small achievement. Just super.

And the blog looks spiffy. :)

-Derek

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
congrats and best of luck
padma

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes. Opening night is creeping up, no nerves - yet.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
It opened on Thursday and I was bloody petrified! Thankfully it all went well some of the audience (none of which I was related to) gave it a standing ovation on opening night. Posted first review in goals and accomplishments and on blog. Phew...

The script was also published and went on sale this week and for the tour which was cool. I cannot explain what my stress levels were like earlier this week. Now I can hopefully start to enjoy it.

Last edited:

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
We playwrights seem to be very quiet on this forum.

I am updating the blog with available reviews, photos, promo film etc if anyone is interested in how the production is moving along. The play is now in its final week. The good news is that the play sold out a couple of weeks ago for the Newcastle dates and an extra performance was added. Reviews have been positive and the audiences have been great. But the long journey is about to end on Saturday which is going to be sad when the actors, director and production team all disband (over much alcohol) - boo ho. I am hoping that the play gets picked up for another run somewhere but if not have to be happy and relieved that it went so well - better than expected. Last week I got to workshop a new play (well, half a play) with actors and a director) so am keen to get moving with that.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well done! Any updates on what's happened since the production ended? Did it get extended? Picked up by some other compnay? Got another play coming out?

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the interest GP. The experience of having this play produced was hugely positive for me and it was a bit sad when it all ended. The play got an extra performance which also sold out but that was it as the theatre had another company coming in after us. It is now out to literary managers/artistic directors of theatres as an example of my work and/or as something they might consider. I had a representative from a TV company come and see it who enjoyed it and they've asked me to do a trial script for one of their shows which I start next week. I'm also going to a meeting in London next week arising from the play. That came about after somebody called the person I'm having the meeting with after they saw the play, not anybody I know but I am so grateful to them. I don't want to jinx the meeting by talking about it until I know the outcome but I am very excited about it. That's on Monday so wish me luck. I am working slowly, haphazardly on a new play which at the rate I am going at won't be finished for months and months.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mandy, I should have thanked you before for your good wishes, hope your writing is going well too. You've been fantastically supportive through the play's progress.

Well my little, regional touring play has had a couple of unexpected outcomes. The first being a new agent who the meeting was with in London. a friend of hers had been to see the play and had recommended this agent check me out. She couldn't get a ticket for the performance as the play had sold out but contacted the producers who put her in touch with me. She read the play, we talked and then met for lunch. The agency is great, well established, high profile clients and based in Covent Garden, the theatre heartland. Sad thing was letting my other agent go which I felt terrible about but this agency is much more focused on theatre.

Second good news was that I had sent a copy of the published play and a couple of page outlines for new ideas to the The National Theatre.

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/

Their literary manager had seen a previous rehearsed reading of the play in October during its development so I thought I would follow that up. What I didn't know was that they had sent someone up to see the production itself, he had liked the play and they liked my new ideas but wanted to see more of my work before considering a commission. The upshot is that they have offered me an attachment at the theatre to develop one of the ideas into a first full draft. So you get a place to work at the studio (next to the Old Vic), a fee, and a chance to catch their shows and work with their team in developing your play i.e readings with actors, feedback etc. Plus I get to live in London for a while. Yippee!

I have a meeting soon to sort out the details (length of attachment, accommodation etc) and meet the people involved. I am so excited. The National Theatre is a huge deal here. When I have it all sorted out I am going to post it on Goals and Accomplishments.

Also doing my TV trial script this next couple of weeks which also came out of the play. I suppose it goes to show that bigger stuff can happen from something as small as having a local tour of your play. Well I hope big stuff happens!

The link below gives some info about attachments at the Studio and more info (check out the list of Artistic Directors)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_National_Theatre

Thanks for the good wishes.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Colour me impressed. :D Best wishes for more good things coming your way.

-Derek