Do I Really Need A "Major Platform?"

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I received a same-day reply to my email query and the agent stated, "This definitely sounds intriguing, but I think I would have a hard time selling it without the author having a major platform."

From what I've read, if a book is going to expose a lot of critical information about corruption in the government and the CIA, it will create its own platform.

Does anyone have a perspective on the "platform" issue or has anyone run into the "platform" problem?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Yep, been there and back many, many times. I've both published non-fiction books (with sufficient platform), and been called on the carpet for not having the proper platform for three other books.

Generally, if you are going to be writing about a core science, organization, agency, or corporation, you absolutely had better worked in it, or been assigned/associated to it in some indirect way. There is no way around it.

I proposed, outlined and wrote a book about the major Ice Age discoveries in my hometown--which rivaled those of Rancho La Brea. It was such an important paleological milestone, that I felt compelled to gather up all of the newspaper accounts and interview everyone that had been in on the dig site--which lasted for five years. The research alone took two years to gather and organize. I even got the mayor involved to back me up and offer connections and support.

Big problem. I was not paleontologist. I had no business writing on the subject of dinosuars/megafauna, when I held no degree in the field (so they said). It didn't matter how credible my sources were or how accurate my information was--it was a no go. They suggested a fully degreed co-author at the least. A recommend, forward or blurb was not sufficient. Or I was asked to bring a pro onboard and share the byline in a "As told to" frame of credit. If you have a bona fide source for your info, you might be able to slip by with it. But this source must be the one who carries the platform and co-authors with you.

Other sources of platform include your speaking engagements, articles, radio, TV and other appearances, which highlight your expertise in the field/industry. With non-fiction, particulary consumer warning type books or industry corruption, a solid platform is a prerequisite. There's just no way around it.

All of the fifteen agents/publishers I contacted stated that I had a bestseller on my hands provided I upped my platform to reflect a solid and believeable field of expertise. My journalistic format was not enough.

Hint: The agent Adrew Zack was the first to point out my shortcommings in relation to platform. You might try running your proposal, outline, and bio past him and asking if he thinks it might be sufficient enough.

So, if you were presenting me with a book on corruption and misdealings in the C.I.A, the first thing I would ask you is how long you worked in that agency, or similar government branch, which gave you your insider info and sources. The subject matter that you are exploring is also very risky for a publisher to take on. This would involve a gaggle of fact-checkers and outside experts, to say the least.

I do wish you good luck. It sounds like a real bombshell.

Tri

Last edited:

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
I received a same-day reply to my email query and the agent stated, "This definitely sounds intriguing, but I think I would have a hard time selling it without the author having a major platform."

From what I've read, if a book is going to expose a lot of critical information about corruption in the government and the CIA, it will create its own platform.

Does anyone have a perspective on the "platform" issue or has anyone run into the "platform" problem?

The platform speaks to the credibility of the information in the book. If you're talking about corruption in government, you need to show the publisher how you know what you know. And your knowledge needs to come from a source that readers will accept as legitimate and credible.

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
Why would I buy a book that supposedly reveals corruption in the government if I don't have some way of confirming that the writer knows what he's talking about? I don't just blindly follow everything I read--you need to convince me that you're worth reading. How do you do that without a platform?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score

I think the "platform" issue is this: your book would be competing with books written by journalists, pundits, college professors, and high-profile former CIA folks. These people get free publicity all the time from being "talking heads" on TV.

You have to emphasize what would make your book distinctive--the "unique selling proposition" that business schools talk about so often.

Otherwise, why would someone pick up your book rather than James Fallows's, or Steve Coll's, or Valerie Plame Wilson's?

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, everyone. My query letter now deals with the platform issue.