What do you make of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hapsburg

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Ivan:

Thank you so much for allowing us to read this; unfortunately, it does not meet our needs at the
present time. Best of luck in placing your intriguing
story.

Sincerely,

I get that it's a reject blah blah, but heres the intriguing question. My name is Justin, I signed the cover letter that way and wrote my name on the submission following the general submission format rules. The editor addressed me as Ivan, the name of the main character of the story. It wasn't in first person even... I'm not sure if he was placating me or making a joke or maybe my character really got into his head or what...

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
My best guess is the editor, or whoever filled out the rejection form, was having a bad day. Their eyes skipped a line and saw "Ivan" when they were typing instead of "Justin".

Wandering Sensei

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The editor may have been rushed or may not have had his/her morning coffee yet. Similar things have happened to me, where I get a rejection letter addressed to the wrong name. At least no one's called me "Ivan" yet.

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
My latest rejection was headed "Dear Sir or Madam." Nothing like the personal touch, is there?

Wandering Sensei

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I haven't gotten "Dear Hack" yet, but I have gotten "Dear Wanna-be."

Nice!

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
This happens.

:banana: I guess they can't come up with a creative way to reject your work so they use a generic term.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once got someone else's rejection letter in my SASE. I sent it on to him, with a little note saying better luck next time. Never heard back from the rejected author or the agent.

Maryn

Status
Not open for further replies.