PDA

View Full Version : Ketchup with my chips?

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 06:07 AM
I visited a British style pub tonight and ordered dinner to go. I got home and discovered they put ketchup with my fish and chips. :Shrug: What happened to the mayonise?

Well there's something to be said about trying to export a real English pub. They even served wings. :rant:

The waitress got it wrong "What would you like, dear?" It's just not the same as an English wench "What'd you have, love."

At least they had football on the tele.

kikazaru
02-08-2008, 06:11 AM
Mayonnaise?? That is wrong on so many levels - the real question is what happened to the vinegar?

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 06:12 AM
They provided tartar sauce. Blah!

akiwiguy
02-08-2008, 06:16 AM
In my opinion with fish and chips... Worcestershire sauce.

That pub sounds like the proliferation of "Irish" pubs, "Irish" meaning they have some green paint somewhere in the decor.

My local's good though, and with a friend visiting from out of town tonight I might just go and have a gander tonight.

ZannaPerry
02-08-2008, 06:18 AM
I'll eat just about anything with ketchup.......like tonight, I ate ketchup with my beef stew. So, yeah, nothing would really shock me when it came to food and the condiments.

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 06:27 AM
That pub sounds like the proliferation of "Irish" pubs, "Irish" meaning they have some green paint somewhere in the decor.
LOL! That reminds me of my home in Holland. Haarlem has an Irish pub with all Dutch staff. Well, mostly. Still it's kind of funny when you have to order a pint in dutch.

me: "Bier"
Heit: "Een kleintje?"
me: "Ja. Danku."

Haggis
02-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Mayo? Not with fish. Give me malt vinegar.

On the chips too, please.

Oh, and pass the salt.

nerds
02-08-2008, 06:32 AM
omg, akiwiguy - will you believe I, a U.S. New Englander, made friends with a New Zealander, in Tennessee USA, who introduced me to Vegemite for the first time last summer. She orders it by the vat online.

What a world. I love it.

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Mayo? Not with fish. Give me malt vinegar.

On the chips too, please.

Oh, and pass the salt.The mayo is for the chips. :rant:

Haggis
02-08-2008, 06:35 AM
omg, akiwiguy - will you believe I, a U.S. New Englander, made friends with a New Zealander, in Tennessee USA, who introduced me to Vegemite for the first time last summer. She orders it by the vat online.

What a world. I love it.

Hi, Nerds. You hanging in there? :)

This "vegemite" you speak of. Is there a cure for it?

akiwiguy
02-08-2008, 06:36 AM

What a world. I love it.

Vegemite is great "munchies" food on toast. If I get home from the pub or whatever I often get the toaster out. I think it's me instinctively craving Vitamin B.

nerds
02-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Hi, Nerds. You hanging in there? :)

This "vegemite" you speak of. Is there a cure for it?

Thank you for inquiring, yes, hanging upside down by my toenails, it's nice this way.

Vegemite, there is no known cure. You order a vat of it, you start dipping saltines in it, next thing you know you're mainlining and the UPS man is calling the cops.

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Vegemite is great "munchies" food on toast. If I get home from the pub or whatever I often get the toaster out. I think it's me instinctively craving Vitamin B.I've tasted it on occasion. Can't say it stuck with me though.

nerds
02-08-2008, 06:59 AM
I've tasted it on occasion. Can't say it stuck with me though.

Then that could not have been Vegemite. That is the stickiest stuff in the world. They should be using it on the Space Shuttle, all their problems would be over.

Mandy-Jane
02-08-2008, 07:24 AM
It's the best on hot toast with lashings and lashings and lashings of butter! (Vegemite, that is)

KTC
02-08-2008, 07:27 AM
One time, when I was buying bread from a man in brussels--He was six foot four and full of muscles--I said, "do you speak-a my language?" He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich.

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 07:31 AM
One time, when I was buying bread from a man in brussels--He was six foot four and full of muscles--I said, "do you speak-a my language?" He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich.LOL! Can I send you my ketchup packages? I've been eating my chips naked.

KTC
02-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Can I step on it at the mall and pretend the security guard shot me in the foot again?

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Can I step on it at the mall and pretend the security guard shot me in the foot again?Oh, yes. Or you can put them next to the family jewels and when he kicks you for stealing the punch line then you'll have a better claim.

KTC
02-08-2008, 07:36 AM
I don't like clams...but that sounds like fun too.

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 07:38 AM
I don't like clams...So I guess this means you won't be accepting Debbie's crab dinner either?

KTC
02-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Oh, I heard about Debbie. Yeah. No.

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 07:55 AM
I heard she left Dallas to become a fur bride to some Alaskin.

KTC
02-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Let's not talk about her hair, shall we. It's not her fault.

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 07:57 AM
If she had any faults, it was her heirs.

KTC
02-08-2008, 07:58 AM
If she had any faults, it was her heirs.

I would rather split heirs than try to make something out of that other thing.

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 08:00 AM
I would rather split heirs than try to make something out of that other thing.There is a fine line between heirs and hairs when it comes to inhairedance.

WerenCole
02-08-2008, 08:38 AM
What a good English style pub?

http://HorseandHoundGastroPub.com

Check it out, and spend a bunch of money. I have part ownership.

We'll give you mayo with your chips if you like.

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 08:56 AM
What a good English style pub?

http://HorseandHoundGastroPub.com

Check it out, and spend a bunch of money. I have part ownership.

We'll give you mayo with your chips if you like.I'm not sure if I can make it from Dallas before happy hour. Looks charming.

Cheers

WerenCole
02-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Come on Spookster. . . CVille was voted Frohmers # 1 city in America a couple years ago. Couldn't hurt to visit. . . just for the fish and chips.

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Come on Spookster. . . CVille was voted Frohmers # 1 city in America a couple years ago. Couldn't hurt to visit. . . just for the fish and chips.I did Virgina beach once. Does that count? I'm already planning my one AW member - get acquainted - trip for the year. Booty on the gulf coast. Whhoooo...

WerenCole
02-08-2008, 09:02 AM
I am not surprised you wouldn't want to come to CVille to meet me. . . after that joke I made about your penny.

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 09:06 AM
I am not surprised you wouldn't want to come to CVille to meet me. . . after that joke I made about your penny.LOL! I wasn't [insert offense here] in the least. Take care and hope you find some sunshine tomorrow.

WerenCole
02-08-2008, 09:09 AM
I appreciate your concern for my mental state of health in this witty banter we have in two threads, but really, I am fine. Just being facetious. . . mas o menos.

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 09:10 AM
I appreciate your concern for my mental state of health in this witty banter we have in two threads, but really, I am fine. Just being facetious. . . mas o menos.I thought you had a cold? My bad. Carry on, sick one. Hahhaahaaa....

WerenCole
02-08-2008, 09:14 AM
I thought we established this. . . the cold (norovirus is worse than a cold actually) was a year ago. The whole thread was a year ago. I haven't been (too) sick since then. Really. . . get with the program fella.

So. . . how are things? Was the dinner from the pub anygood despite the lack of mayo and/or malt vinegear?

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 09:19 AM
The wench serving drinks was worth the price of a flaky cod.

KTC
02-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Did you catch up with your chips yet?

truelyana
02-08-2008, 03:17 PM
What happened to asking the customer, what they want on their fish and chips? That's customer services, not just sticking anything with it.

K1P1
02-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I ordered chips in a "Irish" pub in the Detroit airport. They were crisps. Bleh!

But their Guinness was good. :)

K1P1
02-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I thought we established this. . . the cold (norovirus is worse than a cold actually) was a year ago.

Umm - Norovirus is a stomach bug - makes you incredibly nauseated and vomit a lot. Not a cold at all. From the CDC web site:

Noroviruses (genus Norovirus, family Caliciviridae) are a group of related, single-stranded RNA, nonenveloped viruses that cause acute gastroenteritis in humans. Norovirus was recently approved as the official genus name for the group of viruses provisionally described as “Norwalk-like viruses” (NLV).

WerenCole
02-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Umm - Norovirus is a stomach bug - makes you incredibly nauseated and vomit a lot. Not a cold at all. From the CDC web site:

Noroviruses (genus Norovirus, family Caliciviridae) are a group of related, single-stranded RNA, nonenveloped viruses that cause acute gastroenteritis in humans. Norovirus was recently approved as the official genus name for the group of viruses provisionally described as “Norwalk-like viruses” (NLV).

I am well aware. Thank you. I care not for the correct nomenclature at this particular time, but your diligence has been noted in my record book.

KTC
02-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Pffft.

Shadow_Ferret
02-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Haven't had good fish n chips since Arthur Treacher's went out of business.

I love mayo on my chips/fries (I thought it was disgusting until I finally tried it while in Bahrain).

And I love malt vinegar on my fish.

K1P1
02-08-2008, 10:54 PM
I am well aware. Thank you. I care not for the correct nomenclature at this particular time, but your diligence has been noted in my record book.

I think colds are caused by rhinoviruses. Or is the plural rhinoviri? My take on it is, "noro, rhino, what's the difference?"

bluntforcetrauma
02-09-2008, 05:57 AM
like tonight, I ate ketchup with my beef stew.

Barf=a=roni!

truelyana
02-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Anyone bake or fry their own chips? :D

JLCwrites
02-09-2008, 06:06 AM
I bake mine with a little olive oil and black pepper.

SpookyWriter
02-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Anyone bake or fry their own chips? :DI bake mine. Don't add anything. But do eat them with mayo and not ketchup.

Shadow_Ferret
02-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Bake? They have to be fried. Hence, the name, fries.

Mandy-Jane
02-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Yes but baking's much healthier.

(And we call them chips, not fries.)

SpookyWriter
02-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Yes but baking's much healthier.

(And we call them chips, not fries.)And what do you dip your chips with?

Mandy-Jane
02-09-2008, 06:40 AM
I dip my chips with nothin'. I like them plain. (Or very occasionally I'll dip them in a nice honey barbecue sauce, but usually, nothing.)

JLCwrites
02-10-2008, 02:38 AM
I just went to an Irish Pub today and had fries (chips) covered with yellow curry, chicken, apples, and cranberries. YUM!
(I also had a black & tan to go with it... double yum!)

SpookyWriter
02-10-2008, 03:07 AM
Chicken? You're in a fowl mood today, eh?