PDA

View Full Version : Another reason the Arts are withering ---

Perks
02-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Nope, no link to CNN or NYTimes commentary. Just my daughter's damned school again.

I've ranted a few times so far this school year about issues in my daughter's public school, specifically the third grade. You guys have held my hand through my wrestling with the concept of candy as reward for spelling tests and the amazing achievement of sitting still and shutting up for a whole ten minutes. You bolstered my courage when I went in to speak to the counselor about encouraging the children to air their families' private matters in a weekly classroom group therapy session occurring with no parental knowledge or consent.

I've been to the school over these problems and earned a sneer for one effort and effected a small change in the other. I don't know that I have the energy for this newest display of idiocy I've run across.

Now I find out that when the children misbehave in Art class, the teacher makes them sit at a back table and copy date and title information and art terminology from a big, illustrated Classical Art text.

I know what the rationale behind this is. It stems from the old punishment of writing "I will not be a putz and disrupt class" a hundred times. Some genius reinvented the wheel here and decided, "Well golly, they might as well learn something!" Yeah Einstein, what they've learned is that Michaelangelo, Rembrandt and Van Gogh are a club of stone drags, and that looking carefully at their works is good as a punishment.

What you're supposed to learn in the writing-sentences exercise is that disruptive behavior results in you not having any fun. You waste the teacher's time, he'll waste yours. It's supposed to teach the value of time, by suffering the loss of some of your own.

I really want to take my shoe and beat the stuffing out of the Art teacher.

Bmwhtly
02-07-2008, 07:27 PM
In an uncertain and ever-changing world, it's comforting to know that some things never change.

On the other hand, the teacher is a putz. I propose you make the teacher sit down and copy her payslip out a hundred times. the next payslip she gets, she'll feel the these kids are learning to feel about great art.

That'll learn 'em

Red-Green
02-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Yeesh. Art as punishment. The problem, as with everything, is that one punishment doesn't work for every kid. My sister teaches and has several teachers at her school who use reading as a punishment. Act up in class, you go to the library and have to read. So for kids who already are dodgy on the reading, that's a vicious cycle of negative reinforcement. For kids who love reading, it's not a punishment. Heck, if they'd every really wanted to punish me in school, they'd have made me run laps.

Hope you'll gird your loins and take this one on, too.

K1P1
02-07-2008, 08:26 PM
One word: home school.

Oops, guess that's two words.

My kids went to public school, and there were a few things I didn't like, but nothing like you describe. If I'd encountered group therapy sessions, I'd have pulled the plug.

Hobbes
02-07-2008, 10:20 PM
I had a teacher who made us copy the word 'run' from the dictionary.

I know, no big help. I'll be quiet.

Alexandra Little
02-07-2008, 11:09 PM
One word: home school.

Oops, guess that's two words.

My kids went to public school, and there were a few things I didn't like, but nothing like you describe. If I'd encountered group therapy sessions, I'd have pulled the plug.

I wanted to do unschooling, where the kid is in charge themselves (I was smart enough for it, and looking back on my high school years I still wish my parents had let me do it).

Jaycinth
02-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Now I find out that when the children misbehave in Art class, the teacher makes them sit at a back table and copy date and title information and art terminology from a big, illustrated Classical Art text.

I really want to take my shoe and beat the stuffing out of the Art teacher.

First...you wear some nice shoes, dear. It would be a shame to mess them up with splatters of this teacher's DNA.

Second....This deserves a strongly worded letter to the School board, with copies sent to the principal and the art teacher.

The letter should begin with:

To Whom it may concern:
You are hereby notified as follows...
(I've noticed that letters which begin in this fashion are taken seriously because the person reading usually voids their bowels).

And copying word for word....why..isn't that in violation of copyright laws?...doesn't that exercise encourage plagerism.

Yes, I believe it may and it might.

Why Perks...what if by this exercise, these same kids [later..in highschool] decide it is ok to copy a text book entry word by word and hand it in? I mean they had this idea of copying other people's work from a TEACHER. They were encouraged to doit. No one told them it was wrong.

Yes. A firmly worded letter to the school board. Certified mail, return receipt.

A week later, a copy of the letter to the school principal..certified mail..return receipt.

And a week after that. After the cow pies have fallen, then you send a copy to the teacher...certified mail. .... return receipt.

And because I'm a psycho, I'd get the school directory and send a copy of the letter to every parent in the class.

......but whatever you do, don't mess up your shoes:D.

Perks
02-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Meh. I'm not really a shoe person. I could always get a new pair.

But you're right. I suppose I should say something about this too. I didn't think of the plagiarism angle. Nice touch.

These assholes are wearing me out, but I don't know that I have the chops or the patience for home-schooling.

Hillary
02-08-2008, 12:46 AM
My brother went to his art teacher in his senior year and asked if he could do an AP Art portfolio.

She told him, "I think Staples has portfolios."

*sigh*

It's so sad, the state of art education in our schools.

(For the record, my brother is graduating from Savannah College of Art and Design - and rode on a talent scholarship - this May, despite the best efforts of the public school systems to beat the art out of him. So there is hope! Especially if you have your OCD sister photograph all your work and make you a fabulous portfolio presentation. :D Fingers crossed, he's going for an interview with DreamWorks soon. YAY ART!!!)

Perks
02-08-2008, 02:30 AM
Ooooh! Good luck to your brother and what a way to be a good sister.