When the agent wants a query only...

Dragon-lady

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry folks, this is my afternoon for questions. :D

I have read that when an agent says they want a query only that it is all right to include a few pages as a writing sample. Is this correct or no? I try to observe the courtesies, but sometimes it's confusing. I'd love to include a few pages so that can see that I am at least literate but worry about making anyone mad--particularly an agent I'm really interested in.

Last edited:

Dragon-lady

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, Orion. How many pages did you include, if you don't mind my asing?

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I have my original query in the stickies of this thread and also on my blog (and probably on the AW book club thread on LOTTERY). I included about 5 pages (from my double spaced manuscript) and I just mentioned that the first five pages were pasted at the bottom of the query.
Last June I had a talk in New York for newer literary agents and agents in training at William Morris- my agent and I talked about how we each felt at each step of the process and then I talked a bit about my book...the interesting thing was that the general consensus of those literary agents was that a writer is smarter to include those first few pages. No matter what the agent requests...If your pages are crappy you lose nothing but if your query letter is bad but your pages shine - you gain more.
I thought that was interesting...

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
That's what I've heard from most agents too. Noah Lukeman takes the opposite stance, which just goes to show there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all query style.

I personally intend to throw in about 5 pages with all my queries, unless I query Lukeman... Or anybody else I hear about who claims to hate it when writers do that. So 5 pages is my default setting.

ETA: I haven't yet started querying, so don't take this as a voice of expertise, just one that's been reading a lot of blogs and forums and books...

Dragon-lady

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I have run into a couple of agents who say in their submission guidelines they absolutely don't want to see samples. Russell Galen and Jenny Rappaport are pretty emphatic on it. But I think if they don't say that, I'll include the pages.

Thanks as always for the advice. :)

Carrie R.

Procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
If the agent says "query only" then they mean they only want the query. They're being very explicit about what they want and don't want. I know many agents that are emphatic and don't want to sign a writer who they feel can't follow the rules. When I was submitting, I decided that I did not want to give an agent an easy excuse to say no to me, so I followed their rules exactly as stated. But that's me -- I tend to be a rule-follower and not a risk-taker (and it worked for me -- I had multiple offers and a quick sale).

However, because I thought my pages were very strong, I always looked for ways to include them when I could. For example, some agents say query only for email but allow sample pages in a snail mail query -- in that situation I'd snail mail so I could include the pages.

It really all comes down to doing what you personally feel comfortable with. I never wanted to question whether my rejection was because I didn't submit as the agent wanted. I think Pat's argument is compelling -- what agent would turn away writing they really liked? But at the same time, I know too many agents who have really strong opinions on the matter to feel comfortable ignoring their submission guidelines.

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I have two agents who are looking at my novel who absolutely state they want "no" email queries and that is the only kind I send out. Rules are to be broken--but that is only me!

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
I have run into a couple of agents who say in their submission guidelines they absolutely don't want to see samples. Russell Galen and Jenny Rappaport are pretty emphatic on it. But I think if they don't say that, I'll include the pages.

That's probably a good rule of thumb to follow. I wish I had started out that way, like Orion did, sending along a small sample with the query, because it seems like I got more positive responses from cold submissions that included the first few pages or a chapter. The bottom line is, do what makes you feel comfortable.

Carrie R.

Procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
The other thing to realize is that both Pat and I ended up with great agents and great book deals. Just goes to show that it works either way (including the pages or not) and do what you think is best for you!

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Formatting question: when pasting sending sample pages after an emailed query, do you put a space between paragraphs, like in the letter, or just leave the formatting as is? My indents always seem to disappear when I paste into an email.

Carrie R.

Procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
Formatting question: when pasting sending sample pages after an emailed query, do you put a space between paragraphs, like in the letter, or just leave the formatting as is? My indents always seem to disappear when I paste into an email.

I put in a space between paragraphs. I've always called that "email formatting"

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
After years of reading responses to this question on this and many other boards, this is what I've learned:

1: Always send several sample pages with your query. The agents will read them, and any agent who would reject you over such a small matter isn't worth having anyway.

2: Never send sample pages that haven't been requested. They'll think you can't follow orders and that you're unprofessional.

Obey these two infallible rules and you can't go wrong.