PDA

View Full Version : Sweethearts of the Roadeo

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

choppersmom
02-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Hi everyone - I have a situation I need some assistance with. As some of us may already know, our friend NerdsRus is currently living in the area where the tornadoes have just come through. I'm in touch with her, and she's OK, but severely shaken up. Long story short, she needs to get out of there and get home, and she has no car. She can't fly or take the train, because she has her two cats that need to come with her. What we need is a railroad - if a person or several people can arrange to get her from where she is in Tennessee to somewhere in Virginia, I'll be able to meet her there and get her the rest of the way home. I so badly want to go to TN myself and get her, but it's an 18 hour one-way trip, and I can't physically do it in a weekend. Can anyone make a little time to help her out? Please, please PM me if you can help out at all. Thank you all so much!

Trish

JennaGlatzer
02-06-2008, 10:55 PM
You're awesome.

I'm nowhere near there, but can chip in gas money if others can help.

jannawrites
02-06-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm not close enough, but I sure wish I was. Prayers and warm thoughts sent to Nerds.

jst5150
02-06-2008, 10:56 PM
I need to know where in Tennessee she's located. I can probably do it.

JennaGlatzer
02-06-2008, 10:56 PM
:Hug2:

jst5150
02-06-2008, 10:59 PM
PM sent.

TrainofThought
02-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Dang! I'm not there, but I can chip in money too. PM me Choppersmom, or anyone who is able to assist and I'll send money. Please contact me.

Tell NerdsRUs I said to hang in there.

quickWit
02-06-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm in for gas/food money as well CM.

Cranky
02-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Same here.

auntybug
02-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Ditto!

WendyNYC
02-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Same for me.

Finni
02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Jst, I'm in for gas and food money also if its needed. just let me know.

dolores haze
02-06-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm in for gas money. Anything else needed?

nerds
02-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Oh you guys. I can't even think right now. I'm finally crying and now I can't stop, It's the stress but it's for all the people who didn't make it, too, I can't impose on people, god, let me try to get my brain to engage and come back in a little bit. It's still very grey and high winds here and the house is creaking so it's still nerve-wracking even though I know it's only wind.

I just can't put a sane thought together this minute, please I don't want anyone knocking themselves out for this, let me come back in a little bit after I have a good cry, you are all wonderful people.

paprikapink
Thank you, thank you, Trish, for doing this. Please give nRu a big hug for me.

This is something that is always in the back of my mind about our forum -- if something happens to one of us, how will the others know? Does everyone have an RL<->AW buddy so we can be there for each other?

jst5150
Just waiting for directions. :)

Jersey Chick
02-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Please, let me know what I can do, 'kay?

paprikapink
02-06-2008, 11:25 PM
nerds! Thank you for checking in. Keep us posted when you can.

stormie
02-06-2008, 11:26 PM
AW people are wonderful. I'm in to help money-wise. Nerds, when you're ready, just ask.

Birol
02-06-2008, 11:36 PM
It'll be okay, Nerds. Really, it will.

sunna
02-06-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm in on the wrong end of the country for driving help, but I'll gladly chip in for gas/food money. And anything else.

Sarita
02-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm in for gas money. I might be able to do a bit of driving myself, if you need a go between. Depends on timing and location. I'm in the middle of PA and I have an 18 mo old.

Sorry you're going through this, Nerds.

Devil Ledbetter
02-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Just waiting for directions. :)Me too.

escritora
02-06-2008, 11:59 PM
gas/food...a good book? all three? i'm in.

Little Red Barn
02-07-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm in sweetie, for whatever you need. We have many dead here as well. It was a wicked storm. But thankfully we'll have a calm night tonight.

jannawrites
02-07-2008, 12:09 AM
I can send money through Paypal.

jst5150
02-07-2008, 12:14 AM
We're working the logistics of this now; as you might imagine, a lot depends on nerdsRus. So, please -- let focus all the positive we can toward her and evryone affected right now. :)

Meanwhile, as soon as things develop, we'll let you know. :)

Susie
02-07-2008, 12:17 AM
So praying for everyone who was affected by those awful twisters. We're poorer than dirt, but we will donate a little something.

Williebee
02-07-2008, 12:25 AM
I'm in Southern Illinois, so pretty much out of the way. (sorry)

But, I'm in for a tank of gas and whatever else I can do.

Is somebody coordinating the response?

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 12:34 AM
OK - a plan is coming together.

Jst5150 is going to get Nerds as soon as she gives me the details on her location. If Jst can get her to PA, Saritams8 is going to get her to Allentown PA, where I happen to be going on Saturday anyway. I will take her from there. I can't speak for jst or sari, but I feel odd asking anyone for gas money, but since so many of you are willing to be so generous, I will let you all know if any is needed.

jannawrites
02-07-2008, 12:37 AM
What a fantastic group we have here, you know?

jst5150
02-07-2008, 12:39 AM
IF -- only if -- you want to donate something, we'll have a PayPal location. Anything you donate will go toward nerdsRus settling in her new location.

More on that as we get more things firmed up.

Cranky
02-07-2008, 12:41 AM
IF -- only if -- you want to donate something, we'll have a PayPal location. Anything you donate will go toward nerdsRus settling in her new location.

More on that as we get more things firmed up.

Do let us know...Paypal would be ideal for me. :D

reigningcatsndogs
02-07-2008, 12:47 AM
OMG -- I can't believe this place. If ever I feel alone, I know exactly where to come because you are all really awesome. Nerds, Chopper -- anything I can do, just PM me, and I'll watch the posts for updates as well. I wish I was closer so I could help more. Everyone else here gets giant virtual hugs from me.:Hug2:

Cranky
02-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Ok, I have to start getting ready for work, but I'll be back later on tonight and will check the thread for updates, so please keep us posted!

JLCwrites
02-07-2008, 12:53 AM
What a fantastic group of people we have here!

Nerds! I am sending you many thoughts and prayers, and please let me know if there is anything you need!
jst, Saritams, and Chopper... you are heros!

Mela
02-07-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm about 45 minutes outside of Allentown, Pa., in New Jersey, if you need me.

SpookyWriter
02-07-2008, 12:56 AM

More on that as we get more things firmed up.I think Paypal is a great way to go. I'll donate. Keep your chin up NerdsRus.

sunna
02-07-2008, 12:58 AM
jst, Saritams, and Chopper... you are heros!

Seconded. This is such an unbelievably great place.

Keep us updated -on our beloved nerds, on the PayPal account to send donations to when that's set up, and on anything else that's needed.

nerds
02-07-2008, 01:00 AM
you guys, I can't see through my tears. I have money, I'll pay for gas and for the time and the effort. Please, no money, omg no no! God bless you people, omg.

The weather is still very wonky here, it's rattling me, I have no words, will come back in a little bit, I have no words. No words.

clockwork
02-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Ready to donate towards whatever's needed to keep you safe and settled. Do your best to relax, you'll be all right.

stormie
02-07-2008, 01:19 AM
Yep. Best words ever. "You'll be all right." We're here for you.

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Durn tootin' she'll be all right. Mom has her back.

III
02-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Wow, I've been on conference calls all day so I'm just seeing this thread. Let me know if I can pitch in in any way. Jason, Trish, and Sara, you rock! Nerdo, hang tough like New Kids on the Block. Cavalry's coming.

nerds
02-07-2008, 01:49 AM
God, this weather just will NOT clear.

I have a feeling it will be a very rough season down here this year, I can't fathom how people live with it. I feel as if I'm getting out in the nick of time.

I haven't eaten in 24 hours, and obviously there was no sleep last night. I honestly cannot think at all, and I can't seem to find what I should be saying to everyone here, it overcomes me too much. I'm sorry. I haven't been looked-after in a really long time, I'm always doing the looking-after, and it's just overwhelming.

Jason thought it might be nice if he knew my name, all things considered, and I couldn't think of it for a minute. Baked burnt and fried.

You are all just amazing people.

Shady Lane
02-07-2008, 01:52 AM
I'd love to help, but, well...I'm not allowed to drive anyone but family yet. Maryland rules :P But I'm sending you lots of good thoughts, Nerds, and you all are so amazing for helping out!

SpookyWriter
02-07-2008, 01:55 AM
Jason thought it might be nice if he knew my name, all things considered, and I couldn't think of it for a minute. Baked burnt and fried.
Well, are you going to tell us? :welcome:

JJ Cooper
02-07-2008, 02:00 AM
Stay safe.

JJ

talps
02-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Though Paypal is on my blacklist because of an unfortunate long ago cyber-battle, I'd be happy to mail whoever a ten spot as a contribution to the not yet launched MargaritasRUs Fund.

Every road trip needs such folly, no?

Stay safe, Nerds! All will be well & warm soon enough, I'm sure.

K1P1
02-07-2008, 02:14 AM
I'm in SW VA - do you need someone to form a link in the driving chain between the Tennessee border and points further north?

Writer???
02-07-2008, 02:26 AM
I just got here and found this thread. Man! What an ordeal. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the people here. You all are great!

As usual I'm late and useless, but please keep us posted and if there is anything I can do, I will and gladly.

Nerds, be safe. Try to relax and feel all the support and wishes for your health and safety from all of us here. And just think...when all is said and done and you are safe in your new place, there's a story here worth telling.

Williebee
02-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Nerds-- You don't have to think of anything to say. Your Mom's got your back, and we'll get hers. You'll be all right, and somewhere down the road, you'll get the chance to "pay it forward" for someone else.

Right now, just focus on keeping warm and moving forward.

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 02:51 AM
OK. I'm home from work now, and don't have to post on the sly.

THANK YOU!!! to everyone who has volunteered driving time, money, and prayers. They're all appreciated. Nerds is a bit overcome, and the weather is still wonky by her right now, so don't be surprised if she's not around too much tonight. I think I can speak for her though, when I say God bless you all. This is a hell of a community we have here, and you're all angels. I'll keep you all updated as I know anything at all.

Love n hugs,
Trish

Fenika
02-07-2008, 03:04 AM
If Nerds does not want/need money then perhaps we can donate to a non-profit in her name? Is there a tornado-relief fund being set up by some official company?

Good luck Nerds, and stay safe!

MacAllister
02-07-2008, 03:37 AM
Bahamutchild, that's a really good idea.

And you people really are the finest I've ever known.

Jersey Chick
02-07-2008, 04:40 AM
There's the Red Cross - they are taking donations for tornado relief.

Don't forget, I'm in Jersey - depending on ETA, I'm always up for a road trip. Of course, I'd have to bring my 2 year old, but don't worry. I keep him in the trunk. ;)

i'm just kidding about that. really.

DL Hegel
02-07-2008, 04:40 AM
NerdsRus --travel safe. our prays and good wishes go out to you. Let us know what you need. hang in there.

nerds
02-07-2008, 04:44 AM
This thread, I just start to cry again each time I look at it.

This evening I was finally able to bring myself to look at all the online news accounts.

Here's what I would ask - everyone is already doing so much for me - if there is a fund, or Red Cross, specific for these people down here - I'm too fried to try to find links for any right now - even a few dollars toward that would help them so much. The devastation is beyond belief.

Do you know an infant was found flung into the middle of a field, perfectly okay. But his parents are gone, literally gone. He needs your help, they all do. That would make a real difference. The entire Caterpillar factory is gone. That's jobs, mortgages, food, people will lose their homes.

And please, I beg this incredible relay team being set up, please don't overextend yourselves by taking on too much driving. I can't live with that. Only do what you can, as short as you can. Please. Begging, here.

I have got to get some sleep now. Things are finally quiet, the weather was whacked all day again today.

Bless you all.

jst5150
02-07-2008, 04:51 AM
Mods should be posting something soon on how to contribute on Nerds behalf.

maestrowork
02-07-2008, 05:00 AM
You guys are amazing.

If you need a ride through OH, please let me know.

DL Hegel
02-07-2008, 05:17 AM
news on baby found in field http://www.wbir.com/news/regional/story.aspx?storyid=54267

tn-- redcross jackson chapter
http://redcrossjac.org/ContactUs.htm

Soccer Mom
02-07-2008, 05:26 AM
Hugs and love, Nerd! For my Lolzcat friend...

http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/2/6/hugzferdanerd128468213005625000.jpg

Let us know when we have a link for donating. AW can be a generous bunch when things get tough.

jst5150
02-07-2008, 05:28 AM
Ok, just because I've gotten more than a few PM's on this, if you want to donate something for nerds trip, the paypal address is jason@jasontudor.com. The majority of your donation will go to the charity of her choice; some will, admittedly, be used for gas. :)

Thanks.

escritora
02-07-2008, 05:58 AM
thanks. i sent my contribution.

jdkiggins
02-07-2008, 06:00 AM
AW has always been an amazing group of wonderful people!

Nerds, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers along with all others who have been touched by these storms.

Cassiopeia
02-07-2008, 06:23 AM
This reminds me of an excerpt from my favorite movie. I hope you will indulge me for a moment.

George, still holding Zuzu in his arms, glances down at the
pile of money on the table. His eye catches something on top
of the pile, and he reaches down for it. It is Clarence's
copy of "Tom Sawyer." George opens it and finds an inscription
written in it: "Dear George, remember no man is a failure
who has friends. Thanks for the wings, Love Clarence."

MARY
(looking at book)
What's that?

GEORGE
That's a Christmas present from a
very dear friend of mine.

At this moment, perhaps because of the jostling of some of
the people on the other side of the tree, a little silver
bell on the Christmas tree swings to and fro with a silvery
tinkle. Zuzu closes the cover of the book, and points to the
bell.

ZUZU
Look, Daddy. Teacher says, every
time a bell rings an angel gets his
wings.

GEORGE
(smiling)
That's right, that's right.

He looks up toward the ceiling and winks.

GEORGE
Attaboy, Clarence.

Today my dear Aw'ers, I think you all got your wings.

jst5150
02-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Thanks to everyone who's donated so far!

SpookyWriter
02-07-2008, 06:37 AM
I sent my donation to the real PayPal site. Thanks Jason for the link. I almost gave away the bank to a scam PayPal site.

Jean Marie
02-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Thanks to everyone who's donated so far!
I'd like to donate, but I've got my oil bill to pay by the 21st. I can help w/ driving if Nerds needs that.

Sorry, but that's the best I can do.

SpookyWriter
02-07-2008, 06:53 AM
I'd like to donate, but I've got my oil bill to pay by the 21st. I can help w/ driving if Nerds needs that.

Sorry, but that's the best I can do.The thought is very special. I'm sure Nerds will be pleased. Take care, Jean Marie.

rtilryarms
02-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Oh no you don't!!!

No one goes ANYWHERE unless I chip in too! Are we clear on that?

We have resources for money pooling right?

When divy up time comes, lets make sure I get a share ok?

You guys are great.

SpookyWriter
02-07-2008, 07:05 AM
I felt so generous tonight that I matched my dontation to Nerds with one to Absolute Write. Guess I won't be going out Friday night. But it was worth it. :D

Cranky
02-07-2008, 07:06 AM
OK, could someone please lend a clue to the clueless? I cannot find a way to donate, and I really want to. I'm dumb as hell with this stuff, I guess.

Please help!

Williebee
02-07-2008, 07:11 AM
If you have a paypal account, you can send your donation to Jason at the email address he gave us, above.

Paypal accounts are easy to do, and easy to use. www.paypal.com

Cranky
02-07-2008, 07:12 AM
If you have a paypal account, you can send your donation to Jason at the email address he gave us, above.

Paypal accounts are easy to do, and easy to use. www.paypal.com (http://www.paypal.com)

That was the missing piece. Thanks!

ETA: ....aaaaand DONE! Thanks for the help! It isn't much, but I hope it can help. :D

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 07:12 AM
OK, could someone please lend a clue to the clueless? I cannot find a way to donate, and I really want to. I'm dumb as hell with this stuff, I guess.

Please help!

Post #63 above gives Jason's PayPal ID. You can go to PayPal and make a "payment" to his account. I think that's how it works.

Just so everyone knows where the money is going: Jason will use the part of the money for gas on his part of the trip, then hand it over to Sara. Sara will use some of what's left, and I'll use some of what's left from that. Anything still left over will go to a disaster relief fund for the victims of the tornadoes.

You guys are all so great to donate. Nerds knows you all are going all out for her, and she appreciates every bit of it.

Eskimo1990
02-07-2008, 07:20 AM
You're in my prayers Nerds, I hope everything works out :Hug2:

Cranky
02-07-2008, 07:22 AM
Post #63 above gives Jason's PayPal ID. You can go to PayPal and make a "payment" to his account. I think that's how it works.

Just so everyone knows where the money is going: Jason will use the part of the money for gas on his part of the trip, then hand it over to Sara. Sara will use some of what's left, and I'll use some of what's left from that. Anything still left over will go to a disaster relief fund for the victims of the tornadoes.

You guys are all so great to donate. Nerds knows you all are going all out for her, and she appreciates every bit of it.

Thanks. I got 'er done, though, finally. :D

SpookyWriter
02-07-2008, 07:25 AM

You guys are all so great to donate. Nerds knows you all are going all out for her, and she appreciates every bit of it.Why not go Grayhound? Just asking.

Williebee
02-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Hey Cassiopeia-

The thing about the whole "every time a bell rings" idea, at least to me, is that there must be a flipside.

Angel walking around in heaven, a bell rings and WHAM! -- wings.

"Hey! What the hell?"

WHAM! Wings gone.

Cassiopeia
02-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Hey Cassiopeia-

The thing about the whole "every time a bell rings" idea, at least to me, is that there must be a flipside.

Angel walking around in heaven, a bell rings and WHAM! -- wings.

"Hey! What the hell?"

WHAM! Wings gone.

Oh how rude! :roll:

Finni
02-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Why not go Grayhound? Just asking.

She has two cats. They aren't allowed on buses I don't think

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 11:44 AM
She has two cats. They aren't allowed on buses I don't think

This is the case. I checked them and several others yesterday. No animals allowed. I don't know why, maybe it's a health code thing or something, but it doesn't seem fair. I mean if they're in carriers? Why not? But, I don't make the rules, so, no animals allowed. Stinks.

Writer???
02-07-2008, 02:09 PM
I guess it's Red Cross for me, unless somebody shares an address in a PM to me or something. I don't do paypal, e-bay, or any online shopping.

I really would like to get some money to Nerds to though, in case she needs some clothes or food or re-supplying or something till she get settled. I wish there was a way to "mail" a money order or check or something.

Writer???
02-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Oh yeah. WillieBee -
It's Heaven and God ya know? Why would there have to be a flip-side? Now stop rippin' off angel wings in your head and just let Heaven be the perfect place that it is. :D Ya big angel wing ripper-offer you. :2angel: :wag:

PattiTheWicked
02-07-2008, 05:27 PM
I just now found this thread -- y'all are awesome.

If anyone ever needs around to, from, or through the Buckeye State, let me know. Heck, Ray and I can tag-team you across Ohio.

Off to make a Paypal donation -- Nerds, hang in there.

stormie
02-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Done. Paypal is great, isn't it? Use the money any way you wish, Nerds.

jst5150
02-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Again, thanks to everyone who's donated. The drive starts tomorrow. I'll keep you updated as I am able. :)

Mela
02-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Is the goal still Allentown, Pa?
Again, if you need me I'm here - I'm 45 minutes outside Allentown in western Jersey, right off (or on, as it's only a few hundred yards away) Route 78.

Smoothe driving, jst5150!
Nerds, hang in there! My thoughts are with you.
I can't donate - too many bills to pay this month but if you need anything else, let me know.

nerds
02-07-2008, 06:54 PM
good morning all amazingly amazing people here -

every little noise outside is making me jump out of my skin today, even though the weather is quiet. 27 hours of roaring wind will do that I guess.

I'm thinking one of the freelancers here should write a piece about this. This stepping-up of strangers on a message board to help strangers in the aftermath of disaster. This unbelievable driving relay. Everything. I hope someone does. Sometimes a message board is a real community. Not often, but sometimes, and this one is.

Well, I have about 30 hours to ship my few things home ahead of me, shut off the utilities, file change-of-address, clean the oven, all that sort of stuff. I'm still weepy, some of that now is survivor's puzzlement, it's all so very arbitrary, isn't it. To ride out that kind of terror only to lose one's life or home anyway is as unfair as it gets. I'm so very sad for those who got the worst of things.

Much to do, if I had time I'd rep everyone maybe later I'll have a minute to do that.

The sun still has not come here, everyone's desperate for real sun, but the birds are singing. What's left of them. I think many of my regulars who I feed everyday were swept away, they haven't come back. Only about 1/3 of my birds are in the yard.

Love to you all.

Williebee
02-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Oh yeah. WillieBee -
It's Heaven and God ya know? Why would there have to be a flip-side? Now stop rippin' off angel wings in your head and just let Heaven be the perfect place that it is. :D Ya big angel wing ripper-offer you. :2angel: :wag:

What can I tell you. It is a just and forgiving God. While most folks rush to the "forgiving" part, I hang around thinking about the "just" part.

Have to believe Angels have learning curve, too.

I have a story in development about this, also. Started with the "every time a bell rings..." phrase and went on with the questions "Who decided all these angels having wings was such a great idea?" and "If they're all off flying, who's watching the gates?"

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Imagine the wind gust when they all take off together!

nerds
02-07-2008, 07:13 PM
LOL. You guys.

:)

Williebee
02-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Nerds, don't know about you but I have one cat that hates storms. Always hides under the bed. And another that wants to go out and play in them. (This would be the cat from West Texas. We are taught as children that rain is a rare thing. You must go out and play in it.)

Stay warm!

Yeshanu
02-07-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm sorry. I haven't been looked-after in a really long time, I'm always doing the looking-after, and it's just overwhelming.

I've found that this is one of the best things about this place--people take care of one another.

As far as helping out the other victims, maybe it's time to do another book? :D

Oh, and a couple of you have said you're from Ohio. I think maybe the next time my son decides to go to Ohio to visit his internet friends (including his girlfriend) I'll tag along too, much to his horror... :tongue

Hugs to everyone involved in this effort. My thoughts will go with you as you travel. I'm dead broke myself, and stuck under a foot or more of snow, so it's the only way I can do my part. But I'll do it.

nerds
02-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Williebee,

both these cats were homeless strays here, I didn't have them when I came down. One was about ten months old and had lived outdoors most of his life. Now he's a big sturdy cat and he SLEPT throughout the whole damn thing right next to his window. The lightning was flashing and breaking right on us, on him through the window, the roof was ready to tear off, and he SLEPT. Nothing fazes him.

The other kitty is only six months old, he wandered into my yard only 8 weeks old from who knows where. He went under the refrigerator and stayed there for 14 hours, terrified. He was afraid again last night just because it got dark, he thought it was going to start up again once night fell even though it was quiet.

Serenity
02-07-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't know if all the details have been finalized, but if the trip back happens this weekend and goes through Northern VA (I live in Loudoun County, about 30 miles from D.C.) I can Volunteer for part of the driving.

If that's all been taken care of, since I'm rather late to the thread, then I will send all the positive thoughts I can for a safe trip home, nerdsRus. Stay safe, and hug the cats. :Hug2:

Finni
02-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Williebee,

He went under the refrigerator and stayed there for 14 hours, terrified. He was afraid again last night just because it got dark, he thought it was going to start up again once night fell even though it was quiet.

You just explained my reaction when I was in my first major storm in KY. lol. Everytime a rain drop fell I grabbed everything important and hid in the closet. I'm serious.

jst5150
02-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Here's a map of the trip, with the drivers' routes indicated as the triangles (best as I can tell). I'm blue. Sara pink. Trish green. White is the route from current spot to destination.
http://lh4.google.com/jasontudor/R6sl8D2EJ2I/AAAAAAAAB6o/VwUJWj_zQCQ/s800/nerdsTrip.jpg

Any photos of the journey will be posted here (http://picasaweb.google.com/jasontudor/OtherStuff).

nerds
02-07-2008, 07:47 PM
omg, jason. that pic's amazing. makes it real. I can't believe I'm going home.

:cry:

Finni
02-07-2008, 07:48 PM

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 07:56 PM
An addendum: Nerds will be staying at a hotel in Allentown on Saturday night. Mela has agreed to take Nerds from Allentown to Union County, NJ on Sunday morning. I will meet them in NJ and take her the rest of the way home.

Jason: I had not even thought of taking pictures! What an awesome idea. We can have a whole little photo album made up for Nerds when it's all over! I have to remember to bring my camera. *Makes mental note, promptly loses mental Post-it. Curses. Makes another mental note and staples it to brain.*

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 07:58 PM
:cry:

Now cut that out before you get ME started! I can't burst into tears at work, they'll all think I'm weird. Well, OK, they already do. But that would confirm it!!

jannawrites
02-07-2008, 08:22 PM
I wish I could give several of you real hugs. What a way to step up for one of our own, guys.

*mwah!*

Susan Breen
02-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I came late to this thread, but I had to say how inspired and happy I felt as I read it. Have a safe drive. You're in my thoughts.

HeronW
02-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Don't forget a tray and kitty litter! >^..^<

reigningcatsndogs
02-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Now cut that out before you get ME started! I can't burst into tears at work, they'll all think I'm weird. Well, OK, they already do. But that would confirm it!!

And why the heck should you be any different than the rest of us!!!!

** passes kleenex **:e2cry:

Godspeed, you guys! Stay safe. :Hug2:

:idea:Document it, give the details to III so he can write a song. Heck, don't stop there -- I think there's a movie in this as well as a book!!

paprikapink
02-07-2008, 08:54 PM
This NYTimes story (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/07/us/07tornado.html?_r=1&bl&ex=1202533200&en=3d30181e38ef380e&ei=5087%0A) paints a pretty vivid picture of what nerds and everyone else in the region went through. Talk about your shock and awe. It's stunning.

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 08:54 PM
:idea:Document it, give the details to III so he can write a song. Heck, don't stop there -- I think there's a movie in this as well as a book!!

So, who wants to power up the old Alphasmart and write this thing??

reigningcatsndogs
02-07-2008, 08:59 PM

There's so many people involved. Nerds is obvious, but it would be really cool if you guys did a collaboration thing -- several writers, split the proceeds, maybe use a portion for an AW emergency fund or something....

I don't know!!

nerds
02-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Don't forget a tray and kitty litter! >^..^<

You know, you're not kidding. That is exactly the kind of essential thing I'd be likely to forget in all this hustlebustle. Thanks for the reminder.

Well, there was no going out yesterday because the weather was still so unstable. But I went out and about just now a little bit and talked to a few people. My specific community somehow dodged this yet again except for tree and property damage etc. It turned out all the rescue sirens yesterday were our people going out to neighboring areas to help. But I don't see how they'll dodge it forever, the odds are totally against it. Just down the road a piece from us Jackson TN took a terrible series of hits all that night, as well as just above us in Kentucky.

Everyone is feeling it, there's a curtain over them. Several I spoke with knew friends of friends who were lost, that sort of thing, one lost a cousin in another part of the state. They're all thinking about getting out, looking at jobs online, moving north, and these are native, lifelong Tennesseans. No one is feeling that this was a fluke; they're pretty sure Spring will bring more trouble.

It's very cold here now, cold and grey. Cold is good. Cold is stable. I just want it as cold as can be here for the next 48 hours, and forever for the sake of these people here. Stability.

Am going around saying some goodbyes, it's hard, they want to come along, get away.

reigningcatsndogs
02-07-2008, 09:05 PM

We might want to hang on to any PM's, emails etc that have been passed around as well -- may come in handy in the event someone does what to do this.

Homeward Bound: You've Got Mail While Riding in Cars with Cats on the way to the Forum....

Nerds, make sure you got some water along for the babies as well!!

III
02-07-2008, 09:05 PM

And of course I'm at work without a guitar. The ballad of Jason and Nerds. Let me see if I can whip something up. ;)

nerds
02-07-2008, 09:21 PM
And of course I'm at work without a guitar. The ballad of Jason and Nerds. Let me see if I can whip something up. ;)

Oh, rofl. That would be awesome. How Jason and Nerds went insane and sang 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall till they were taken away by the nice men in white coats after being found in a parking lot dancing with cats.

I told Finni that my face has been so tensed up for so long that these smiles you guys are giving me are going to crack it, but it is so worth it.

I'm far too fried to write about any of it but I sure hope all this talent here will do, and I mean that.

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Homeward Bound: You've Got Mail While Riding in Cars with Cats on the way to the Forum....

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

Finni
02-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Did someone say beer?

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Did someone say beer?

Someone may have...

http://www.leinie.com/images/beers/bw_page.jpg

Finni
02-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Fruits and vegetables?

Finally, they are making beer fit into a food group.

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Fruits and vegetables?

Gotta get your 5-8 servings a day!!

nerds
02-07-2008, 09:38 PM
This NYTimes story (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/07/us/07tornado.html?_r=1&bl&ex=1202533200&en=3d30181e38ef380e&ei=5087%0A) paints a pretty vivid picture of what nerds and everyone else in the region went through. Talk about your shock and awe. It's stunning.

Yes, I did assume that night was my last. Made peace with it and hung on and hoped it would be a quick demise. That's all you can do while you're chattering with fear. You hope you won't be lanced through by your own shower curtain rod or someone else's, you hope it's quick. It was the relentlessness of it, it just never stopped, that was the thing. 14 hours, for crying out loud, waiting to die, basically, in some gruesome way. You get to where you just wish it would get on with it, just do it and be done with it.

It was akin to a bomb blitz, that's the only thing I can equate it to. Only it was nature doing the bombing.

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Good Lord. I can't even begin to imagine.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-07-2008, 09:44 PM
You're exactly right, Nerds. After being scared out of my tiny mind for hours and hours back in the '99 mess, I remember waking up from a short doze to the ongoing beep-beep-beep of the tv and Gary England giving me the umpteenth tornado warning... and I stood up and shook my fist at the heavens and said, "Either kill me or $*&% off!" I went from terror to anger in a heartbeat - and it felt good, if only because it was different.

Then I went back to terror again real fast. :(

nerds
02-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Fruits and vegetables?

Beer IS a food group.

:D

Cassiopeia
02-07-2008, 09:55 PM
I remember looking up at the sky above my parents house on my 12th (37 years ago) birthday and seeing the finger of a twister as it dropped out of the cloud to hover above us as if it was trying to make up its mind whether to strike or not.

My brother and I grabbed my younger brother and sister and headed for the basement. My step dad was at work and my Mom had just given birth that morning to our youngest sister. We huddled in the corner and waited for that storm to pass.

I remember it like yesterday. You never get used to it. You just learn to wait.

Finni
Here Nerds...laugh and relax

http://www.darylscience.com/graphics/FarSideMicroscope.gif

shakeysix
i went through this just ten months ago. i have to admit that my mind was scrambled for weeks. and now, in march it all starts again. i am in for gas $ or for counseling. whichever you need.

i lived in another town for a week because our school was closed. came back to help our kids with clean -up with the destroyed houses. our high school kids were so great. not at all the selfish teens you hear about. all of the townpeople working together was a healing experience.

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Beer IS a food group.

Oh, OK, she's got JOKES now!! I guess that means she's OK!

jst5150
02-07-2008, 10:09 PM
I should note that if you find yourself somewhere along our route, and you want to catch a quick snapshot, let me know via PM. We'll see what we can do.

nerds
02-07-2008, 10:11 PM
You're exactly right, Nerds. After being scared out of my tiny mind for hours and hours back in the '99 mess, I remember waking up from a short doze to the ongoing beep-beep-beep of the tv and Gary England giving me the umpteenth tornado warning... and I stood up and shook my fist at the heavens and said, "Either kill me or $*&% off!" I went from terror to anger in a heartbeat - and it felt good, if only because it was different.

Then I went back to terror again real fast. :(

Yes, at some point, maybe from about 1-3 a.m., I don't know, I walked around deliberately near the windows where you're not supposed to be, paced around, and the insanity outside was so insane I just said do it, do it, ya bastids, get on with it. Here I am. Come get me, that's what you want to do so just do it. All the while the house seemed ready to come apart any second, the floors were rolling under my feet.

The Governor here said something in a press conference about how it's psychologically worse at nighttime. For me, I'm not sure about that. I've seen them during the day here also and I think I prefer the cover of night. You can't see the twisters. The lightning, I've seen plenty of lightning in my day, everyone has, but this was beyond the beyond. This was supernatural. Constant, and big beyond all imagining.

Finni
02-07-2008, 10:11 PM
I should note that if you find yourself somewhere along our route, and you want to catch a quick snapshot, let me know via PM. We'll see what we can do.
Too bad I live in Buffalo...
Its close, but too far.

reigningcatsndogs
02-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Nerds, I can't even begin to imagine. :Hug2: Hang in there.

Jason, I'm wondering how long a trip this is -- hours wise. Sorry, but I have no idea.

Cassiopeia
02-07-2008, 10:18 PM
I should note that if you find yourself somewhere along our route, and you want to catch a quick snapshot, let me know via PM. We'll see what we can do.Utah is along the way...

right?

jst5150
02-07-2008, 10:21 PM

I just reviewed the donations again. Truly humbling, folks. THANK YOU again. If you still would like to contirbute, the PayPal address is jason@jasontudor.com.

Thanks.

Chumplet
02-07-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm much too far away and way too poor to help, except to extend my cyber hugs to all involved in this fantastic venture. Nerds, you should write about it. Your posts alone paint a detailed picture! Get home safe. I'd wave but I won't be anywhere near your route. Presently I'm buried under the snow from the same storm system.

Three nights ago, we had a heck of a thunderstorm with all the rain on top of the snow.

(Finni, you live in Buffalo -- so does my brother, in Bowmansville. Ever hear of a band called The Feast?)

jst5150
02-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Jason, I'm wondering how long a trip this is -- hours wise. Sorry, but I have no idea.

For nerds from A to B -- about 18 driving. I've got her for the first 13.

For me -- about 36 round trip.

For Sara -- I think 8 or 9.

For the others, not sure.

paprikapink
02-07-2008, 10:38 PM
I don't know if it was in the article in the NY Times link or another one, but I read that this wasn't the kinda twister that usually happens in the spring -- and those are plenty bad! Those bounce along the ground, staying down for maybe 20 minutes, covering a mile or so, and then hopping up, touching down....these were much larger, and stayed on the ground for as much as fifty miles at a time. The devastation is exponentially more, well, devastating.

I also read that they don't attribute the magnitude of these tornadoes to any kind of recent climate changes. Winter tornadoes are just bigger beasts than the springtime ones, and, mercifully, rarer. But when you put one year of these together with a few years of increased frequency and intensity of spring tornadoes, climate change does seem like a pretty big factor in a region's ability to cope with its weather patterns.

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 10:41 PM
I figure for Mela, about two to get Nerds to me, and two back. Maybe even less. I have about a two-hour drive to the meetup in NJ, then about three to four to the endpoint. I'm not sure how I'll be getting home - if I take the Cross-Sound Ferry from CT to LI, it will be significantly shorter mile-wise, slightly shorter time-wise, and with the added benefit of a bar and lounge on board the ferry. :D I'm thinking ferry...

choppersmom
02-07-2008, 10:43 PM
BTW, I would like to point out to everyone who has been flinging reps at me willy-nilly that Jason is the one who should be getting them all. He's biting off a HUGE job here, asking for no compensation, to do a favor for someone he has never met. If that's not an angel on earth, could someone please spell out for me what is, exactly??

PattiTheWicked
02-07-2008, 10:51 PM
You know, Jason, if you brought Nerds to Columbus, I could get her to Bedford, PA. That would shave some time off your round trip. It would depend on the timing, but i'm pretty much free on Saturday and Sunday.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-07-2008, 10:52 PM
S.O.L.D.I.E.R. :)

nerds
02-07-2008, 10:52 PM
A-N-G-E-L is in fact spelled J-A-S-O-N.

I don't know why he's doing this, I don't, but he has earned his wings. I can't fathom it, but there's still much I can't fathom right now.

C.bronco
02-07-2008, 10:57 PM
I figure for Mela, about two to get Nerds to me, and two back. Maybe even less. I have about a two-hour drive to the meetup in NJ, then about three to four to the endpoint. I'm not sure how I'll be getting home - if I take the Cross-Sound Ferry from CT to LI, it will be significantly shorter mile-wise, slightly shorter time-wise, and with the added benefit of a bar and lounge on board the ferry. :D I'm thinking ferry...
If you have to go South again, it's a 3 hour drive from Orient Point, Long Island, to NYC. Please let me know where you have to go around these parts and I'll help you navigate a good route!

nerds
02-07-2008, 11:05 PM
I wasn't able to follow the thread properly yesterday, I hope donations are going to all the AW drivers and tornado relief, I can't accept anything, this is already all far beyond my bursting heart to accept. Support Your AW Drivers.

Cassiopeia
02-07-2008, 11:09 PM
A-N-G-E-L is in fact spelled J-A-S-O-N.

I don't know why he's doing this, I don't, but he has earned his wings. I can't fathom it, but there's still much I can't fathom right now.

Jason is doing it because he is a wonderful person and does what he can, when he can.

The same for everyone here who are rallying behind you to get you to safety.

It serves to remind us as a community we ARE family. :)

Be safe and hang in there.

paprikapink
02-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Though inspired by Katrina, Stories of Strength (http://www.storiesofstrength.com/) proceeds go to "disaster relief charities in the region." Anyone know if that would apply to this region?

Hey, we're only 10% short of our goal of raising $5,000. Tornadoes, hurricanes.... I think we could blow that goal away. Anybuddy wunna buy some stories!?!

jst5150
02-07-2008, 11:22 PM
You know, Jason, if you brought Nerds to Columbus, I could get her to Bedford, PA. That would shave some time off your round trip. It would depend on the timing, but i'm pretty much free on Saturday and Sunday.
Can you PM me?

nerds
02-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Anything to shorten Jason's trip, anything. Very grateful. I can't feel good about this when things are so big. Thanks Patti.

Mela
02-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Allentown's about 40 minutes from me; our meeting place in Union about 45 minutes from there. Route 78 is an incredibly fast highway if there's no traffic - I can get from western Jersey to Newark Airport in a half hour.

Ferry, choppersmom; definitely ferry.

nerds
02-07-2008, 11:41 PM
It could be my crazed imagination, but I keep picturing Mac looking on and smiling proudly at all of you. Yes, I think so.

I don't ever want any of you to need same in return? No dire straits for anyone? But if you do, I'll be there front and center. And for less. I WILL send it back around.

jst5150
02-07-2008, 11:49 PM
We're nailing down the Columbus leg now.

JLCwrites
02-08-2008, 12:00 AM
You are in good hands Nerds! I hope this nightmare will soon be behind you.

I made a donation to Habitat for Humanity to help those rebuild their lives... if anyone else is interested.. here is the link.
http://www.habitat.org/

My thoughts and prayers go out to those whose lives were wrecked by the tornadoes. :)

JennaGlatzer
02-08-2008, 12:04 AM
It could be my crazed imagination, but I keep picturing Mac looking on and smiling proudly at all of you.

You're very right on. :)

God bless the drivers. You're all terrific for helping this way.

Nerds, I know you've said you can't accept money, but don't be afraid to reconsider that. Shakeysix had a good point about counseling-- maybe you'd put it toward some sessions with a counselor. OR, my favorite kind of therapy: go get a massage once you've settled in CT! I'm sure we'd all be happy if you used at least some of the money to do something restorative for your spirit.

jst5150
02-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Let's welcome Patti to the team. She'll be handling the Ohio to Pennsyvania leg. Details working now.

As of this moment, we have:

jst5150: Martin to pickerington, Ohio
Pattithewicked: Pickerington to State College
Saritams8: State College to Allentown
Mela: Allentown to Union, NJ
Choppersmom: Union to Final desitnation.

Thanks to everyone here. New map forthcoming for you cartographers out there.

sunna
02-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Reading this thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Hot damn, what an awesome bunch of people we have here. If you folks are all set on gas money, use my donation to get yourselves some beer, or chocolate martinis, or whatever you like, and drink to yourselves. You all deserve it. (and I'll be donating to Habitat as well, so you won't take aything from charity for doing it. :)) Wish I could have donated more, or that I lived closer so I could help with the driving.

Safe driving, all, and good luck with your move, nerds - you are definitely in good hands!

jst5150
02-08-2008, 12:15 AM
And here's the new travel map:
http://lh5.google.com/jasontudor/R6tmnT2EJ3I/AAAAAAAAB7I/Ie50p1tNIfw/s800/nerdsTrip.jpg

choppersmom
02-08-2008, 12:20 AM
If you have to go South again, it's a 3 hour drive from Orient Point, Long Island, to NYC. Please let me know where you have to go around these parts and I'll help you navigate a good route!

Actually I'm in Mastic Beach, on Long Island, so I know all about the ferries. I'm probably going to try for the Bridgeport/Port Jefferson line. Port Jeff is a little closer to my house - just up Route 112, then east a little ways, and I'm home. But, where are you?? Are we neighbors?? That would be shweet!!

choppersmom
02-08-2008, 12:20 AM
We had a couple of other Ohio offers - can any of them be of any assistance?

nerds
02-08-2008, 12:22 AM
oh god. I can leave, others can't. oh my god. why can't things be okay for everyone.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

reigningcatsndogs
02-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Nerds, sweetie, hang in there. Don't know if this will help or not, but I was thinking of you and I thought of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGI1bdHO34

(crosses fingers and hopes it works!!)

jst5150
02-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Choppers, we're covered now. I think we've got our team. :)

I'll be sending a Pm later tonight with full details, phones and plans from A to Z just so we're all covered. :)

Thanks again to everyone for theit time, resources and generosity. A special thanks to families who are giving folks up to drive (like mine). :) And thanks to everyone at AW for helping get nerds outta there and to a place she feels safe.

jt

Little Red Barn
02-08-2008, 12:37 AM
oh god. I can leave, others can't. oh my god. why can't things be okay for everyone.

How many are there that wish to leave, but would leave with assistance, please pm me?

Kadea
02-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Please update us as to whether you guys need more donations. I've been trying to skim back through the thread and I can't tell if you guys have gotten a bunch or if more would still really be appreciated (i.e. more to cover gas, etc.).

Thanks... This thread is truly what makes you realize this IS a community! I feel honored to play even a small part in it!

choppersmom
02-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Please update us as to whether you guys need more donations. I've been trying to skim back through the thread and I can't tell if you guys have gotten a bunch or if more would still really be appreciated (i.e. more to cover gas, etc.).

Thanks... This thread is truly what makes you realize this IS a community! I feel honored to play even a small part in it!

Hi K - If you would like to donate, it will always be appreciated. Whatever we don't use will be handed over to Nerds. She can use it to help get settled in once she gets to her destination, or she can donate it to a disaster relief fund. So either way, it's going to a very good place. :D

Mela
02-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Just read something on the baby that was rescued on the MSN homepage - rescue workers thought it was a doll cuz there were children's toys and other household debris littered about. And then it's head moved and it let out a cry!
His mother was found dead in the same field.

How tragic and yet wonderful at the same time - life will go on.

CACTUSWENDY
02-08-2008, 01:12 AM
:)...Reading all this and counting you all as a blessing beyond words. Nerds, the sun will indeed come out....:Sun:.

My hugs, prayers, and thoughts are with you all. (Wish I could do more.)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-08-2008, 01:36 AM

It will take time, hon... but things will get better - not just for you, but for everyone touched by this tragedy. Even those who have lost everything, even those who have lost loved ones, will be touched by the generosity of strangers and will feel the long-distance support of the rest of the nation. We are family - inside AW and outside it - and we will survive this as we have survived all the tragedies in the past... by sticking together.

I believe Jenna had a wonderful idea for what you can do with just a bit of that money... get a full-body massage. Seriously. Do it. Hugs.

jst5150
02-08-2008, 02:12 AM
Ok, folks. We're all set. Train leaves tomorrow morning.

Again, thanks to EVERYONE who made this possible!

jt

Pat~
02-08-2008, 02:27 AM
This is very cool. Travel safely, everyone!

nerds
02-08-2008, 02:49 AM
And here is the sun. It just came out at 4 p.m. for the first time. Purple clouds are being chased away by white ones. The last of it, exactly 48 hours from the start of things. Seems like a lifetime, not two days and nights.

I wish everyone had made it through to see it. I will be a while sorting out the caprice of all this, I see that. Maybe it can't be sorted.

I walked downstreet to the laundromat to get my wash done just now. The place was empty but for a very elderly couple. The husband wandered about in his own world outside, chainsmoking, the wife was doing everything. She took his slacks out of the dryer with all the love in the world and hung them with utmost care on her wire hangers. They were black, and they were young before Civil Rights. They would have seen a lot.

I said to her, "Have you been here all your life?"

"Yes ma'am we have."

"How do you live with these storms?"

"It's God's will. God gonna take me away, he'll take me away. Where you from?"

"New England."

"Don't you people get this up there?"

"Nope. We get snow."

"Aw, snow's pretty comin' down but I don't like to be out in it. No, I don't like snow."

choppersmom
02-08-2008, 02:54 AM
That's called "perspective." Cool, ain't it?

Esopha
02-08-2008, 03:22 AM
I aspire to be like you all when I grow up.

Sending hugs from the entire Sopha family. :)

Writer???
02-08-2008, 03:38 AM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb83/CarsNGuitarsPics/CarToon2.jpg

stormie
02-08-2008, 03:46 AM
This seems to be one of those threads that should become a sticky. As in, "This is what AW, besides being for writers, is all about."

HeronW
02-08-2008, 03:49 AM
Nature is impersonal, simply existing as it is.
We are personal, existing for what could be.

skelly
02-08-2008, 04:32 AM
Amazing. God bless you folks. This thread took me away from my own problems and brightened my day :)

jannawrites
02-08-2008, 04:58 AM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb83/CarsNGuitarsPics/CarToon2.jpg

Beyond touching, writer???. Brought tears to my eyes. Very nicely done!

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 05:01 AM
Have a safe trip Nerds. We look forward to hearing from you again soon as you've settled.

nerds
02-08-2008, 05:07 AM
Okay, I'll be pulling an all-nighter to wrap up everything here but this time it's a good all-nighter. :)

Grateful and thank you seem like very small words right now. Small beer, as they say.

I remain overwhelmed - the past 48 hours of storm, emotion, fear, sorrow and optimism seem like hours stretched too tight across a canvas of years.

This storythread would have made a kickass first page for Nathan's contest.

I'm one of those flakes who has always believed that angels walk among us. And here you are.

I love this crazy earth. See you on the flip side.

http://img5.travelblog.org/Photos/42209/197947/f/1478661-African-Sunset-1.jpg

Jenny
02-08-2008, 05:11 AM
This thread is an amazing testament to community. Drive carefully everyone - you are heroes. Take care, Nerds.

Angie
02-08-2008, 05:13 AM
Dang, I'm late to the party, as usual. But if there's still need for gas/food money, someone let me know.

And AW people are freakin' awesome. *hugs all around*

DamaNegra
02-08-2008, 05:58 AM
What a beautiful, touching thread. I'm so happy for you, Nerd, and I'm happy that everything's going to be all right in the end. Sorry I couldn't chime in :(

choppersmom
02-08-2008, 06:46 AM
My wonderful boyfriend Pat has informed me that the thing we're going to Allentown for on Saturday can be done on Sunday morning. So, we will pick Nerds up from her hotel on Sunday and drive her straight to Massachusetts from there, eliminating Mela's leg of the trip - thank you Mela, you're the peachiest!!! This will eliminate the need for us to drive all the way back to LI on Sat., then back out to NJ and up to MA on Sunday.

We therefore will not be able to see nerds on Saturday afternoon, but I hope Sara will be able to help her get a room and get settled for the night.

We'll finalize this alteration tomorrow after I hear back from everyone.

Trish

Haggis
02-08-2008, 06:51 AM
You guys are awesome. It's beyond words.

SpookyWriter
02-08-2008, 07:00 AM
You guys are awesome. It's beyond words.
Try.

nerds
02-08-2008, 07:04 AM
My wonderful boyfriend Pat has informed me that the thing we're going to Allentown for on Saturday can be done on Sunday morning. So, we will pick Nerds up from her hotel on Sunday and drive her straight to Massachusetts from there, eliminating Mela's leg of the trip - thank you Mela, you're the peachiest!!! This will eliminate the need for us to drive all the way back to LI on Sat., then back out to NJ and up to MA on Sunday.

Really? Are these Pat things rentable? Where will I be? Amazing. I know nothing.

choppersmom
02-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Really? Are these Pat things rentable? Where will I be? Amazing. I know nothing.

Goofball. :D Just be ready when Jason gets there, huh? The rest of us have all the clues, that's why you don't have any. Just leave everything to us.

And you can borrow Pat for special occasions, I won't even charge you. Maybe you can get him to shave while you have him.

PattiTheWicked
02-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Nerds, we have all this totally under control. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

See you in about 26 hours. My son says he'll sleep in his sister's room, and you and your kitties can have his room.

Shady Lane
02-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Nerds, I can't wait to hear when you and the kitties are safe and sound. (I have six cats...I understand that part. :))

nerds
02-08-2008, 03:15 PM
I think the kitties will travel okay. Big cat, nothing ruffles him, and little cat is calm for his age.

It's 5 a.m. and I have everything pretty much done, all swept and mopped and clean. The minute it's light out I'll lug the few things I accumulated downstairs to the sidewalk with a FREE sign on them, they'll go fast.

Only thing left is the bathroom, I'll do that last but it's clean anyway so won't take too long.

We have frost this morning. Sparkling hard frost. The weather will be really good today, I think.

Be safe, Jason, drive safe, and I'll see you this afternoon. I won't feel settled until all are home safely from this undertaking.

tjwriter
02-08-2008, 03:27 PM
I, too, just found this thread, and the people at AW ARE amazing. I wish I'd seen it sooner, as it looks like it's only a couple of hours from my house. (See the tiny point where Indiana meets Illinois and Kentucky? That's me.)

I'm going to see if I can scrounge up some money to make a donation. If there are any other needs, please let us know.

I'm glad you're safe, nerds. Have a safe trip, everyone.

moth
02-08-2008, 05:38 PM
I just found this thread too, and read the whole thing. Nerds, I'm so glad you and your kitties are safe. The people here are so amazing, I'm filling up with tears just reading these posts. I've already been praying for everybody affected by these storms, and now I'm praying harder.

Safe journey, all. And scratch the kitties on the head for me. :)

nerds
02-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Will do, and thanks. If I can post from the road I will, we'll see how it goes. Give you kids some entertainment. If we see weird landmarks we'll let ya know. Stuff like that. Send all good vibes jason's way today and tonight.

choppersmom
02-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Take lots of pictures!! We need a photo record of this little odyssey.

Stew21
02-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I am continually awed by the generosity of the people in this place.
You are all in my thoughts during your journey. What an amazing story.

III
02-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Tudor in a four-door
With two cats on the floorboard

That's as far as I've gotten in writing the song. It's probably all downhill from there anyway.

Meerkat
02-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Storm came, Nerds saw,
All awed by AW...

dolores haze
02-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Tudor in a four-door

Nerds has got the atlas out.
Feels so good she wants to shout.

choppersmom
02-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Tudor in a four-door

That's as far as I've gotten in writing the song. It's probably all downhill from there anyway.

I love it!!!! More more more!

jannawrites
02-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Prayers for a safe journey with its official start today.

oneblindmouse
02-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Just found this thread and read through it. Very inspiring! Puts alot of things back into perspective. Wishing you the best of luck, Nerds, and all the other wonderful people helping you out.

III
02-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I love it!!!! More more more!

Dang it, I should have started this as a contest in the music forum. Keep going with the lyrics, gang. It'll be like "We Are The World" ... (for those of us who are old enough to remember it).

Fenika
02-08-2008, 07:46 PM
I wish ya'll a safe and fun trip!

reigningcatsndogs
02-08-2008, 07:53 PM
It's road trip day!!!

http://www.mikedowney.co.uk/blosxom/images/animals/hamster-road-trip.jpg

ETA: You guys drive safe!!!

JLCwrites
02-08-2008, 07:57 PM
It's road trip day!!!

Wow... I had no idea that AW members were so fuzzy! (Well, ok.. maybe I did know a few were.)

choppersmom
02-08-2008, 08:04 PM
It's road trip day!!!

That's Nerds, cringing in the back seat!

PattiTheWicked
02-08-2008, 08:18 PM
I'll be sure to post tonight and let everyone know when Jason and Nerds arrive safe & sound here in Ohio.

nerds
02-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Thought everyone should know that we could not have asked for a more perfect weather day here. Cool, and sun sun sun, a picture-perfect day. I've a few last things to do but I'll try to post when Jason gets here or once we're on our way, to let you know he got here okay.

And ahem I saw that picture of us in the green car. Yes I did. At least my hair was combed.

Cranky
02-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Drive safe, everyone!

Sarita
02-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm so happy to hear about the weather, Nerds. I was worried sick about you and Jason driving through tornadoes...

Can't wait to start my leg tomorrow!

choppersmom
02-08-2008, 08:36 PM
I feel like I should be able to come up with something...but with how blown away I am by all of this, I think it would just come out overly sentimental and cliche-ish.

Here's freefall...for what it's worth.

At a time when things are falling,
the picking up comes easy,
you can, if you listen,
you can always hear us calling.

And the storm can tear to pieces
those walls we build between us,
make us pull ourselves together
as the storm outside increases.

And you can find yourself that haven
with the grace of angels reaching--
you can almost see them coming--
now allow yourself some healing.

Crap. I got nothing. Now III's got me thinking on this. Damn him and his 3 little Ies.

Nonsense, this is absolutely lovely. It says just about everything, better than ordinary words. Thank you for it!

III
02-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Keep going Kevin! I might have a chance to try putting it to music this weekend. Unless someone else wants to take a crack at it.

nerds
02-08-2008, 08:40 PM
It's beautiful, Kevin. I won't be able to articulate how I feel about all this until this adventure is over and all are home safe and sound. I'm still not past the storm part of things yet, let alone absorbing this AW Railroad reality.

III
02-08-2008, 08:47 PM
No hurry. Date with the wife tonight, basketball with the kids most of the day tomorrow so it'd be Saturday night before I could sit down with it anyway.

Mela
02-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Wow - this is great - 'with the grace of angels reaching' - wonderful!
Can I get the CD?

reigningcatsndogs
02-08-2008, 09:47 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f114/tjbshaw/2BearsHug.gif

Virtual bear hugs for you Nerds, and for all the drivers too!!!

HeronW
02-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Hope the good weather lasts the whole trip you all!

Finni
02-08-2008, 10:13 PM
be safe, stop by Buffalo if ya want

choppersmom
02-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Jason should be by Nerds within the next 2-3 hours. This is so exciting, I can't stand it!

choppersmom
02-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Hey all, someone made a suggestion to me that I thought was a terrific idea. How about we make up a gift basket for Nerdsy, something to help her settle in to her new place? If everyone can send something that's maybe a local thing to their region, like Southern cookies or Maine lobster (can NOT guarantee that will make it into the basket though! ;) ), or some kind of beauty item, something to decorate her place with, cat stuff - whatever you think. You can PM me if you have any ideas, and if you want to send anything, I'll give you my home address so you can ship it to me. I'll make up the basket and get it to Nerds. Thanks all!

Hugs,
Trish

nerds
02-08-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the drivers who should be getting those but I'll stay out of all these fancy plans. Just my .02. :) But it's a lovely thought, and I thank you.

I asked Jason to e-mail me when he's close so I'm on the step and ready to go when he gets here, haven't heard anything since this morning. He said he got on the road a little late so maybe 4 - 4:30, I don't know. Maybe he's a leadfoot.

p.s. all my stuff I put out on the sidewalk? All gone already. Cool.

sandyn
02-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Wow. I just found this. To all who have suffered through the storm, thank God you're OK. To all who are helping with the rescue, God Bless!

Let me know what's needed and if I can help in any way. Can't drive or do anything on that end cause I'm located in Vegas.

AWers are awesome!!!

Little Red Barn
02-08-2008, 11:17 PM
I just spoke with Jason, everyone. He's having a good trip--weather is beautiful and he'll be with nerds in a couple of hours. I know he'll be worn out so he'll probably stay at my cottage on the way back: see barn and NO he will not reveal it's contents. ;)
hugs

III
02-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Sweet. Now I'm dying to work on this song. And this is the one time I don't have a guitar in my trunk. Maybe I can work on it late tonight. And if any other musician wants to take a stab at it, feel free.

ETA: Did you have a title in mind?

Cassiopeia
02-08-2008, 11:40 PM
It's beautiful KTC.

JennaGlatzer
02-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Except the home is in Connecticut, not Virginia... right?

III
02-09-2008, 12:02 AM
I vote for "Tornadoes Are Buttheads". Best. Title. Ever.

ETA: and I really do keep a guitar in my trunk at all times but I took it out yesterday cuz I cleaned out my car.

Meerkat
02-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Twister of Fates?

Meerkat
02-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Yet it has the word "connect" in it...... hmmmmmm.................

JennaGlatzer
02-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Connecticut - definition: a word that will never be in a song.

I know. I hated to say it because I sounded it out and knew it was never, never going to work. ;)

We could pretend she's from Virginia.

choppersmom
02-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Oh, rats rats rats. That won't work. You wreck everything! (-;

How did I miss that. Virginia must be a leg? Oh pooh.

It was going to be, if Plan A had come to pass. But Plan B just worked out better all around, so Virginia was eliminated. The ultimate destination is Connecticut, but I'm delivering her to friends in Massachusetts where she is staying temporarily until she can get her own place.

It's like this: Jason drives from Georgia to Tennessee to pick up Nerds. Then to Ohio, where he passes her off to Patti. While he's going back to Georgia, Patti drives her to Bedford, Pennsylvania, where she is handed over to Sara. Sara gets her to Allentown, where she stays overnight on Saturday. I collect her Sunday morning and drive her to Massachusetts.

III
02-09-2008, 12:11 AM
*sigh* Why do Canadians have such a problem with U.S. geography when us United States of Americans know Canadian geography sooooooo well?

Connecticut for the heck of it?
Connecticut the fishing net got cut?
Connecticut eat your peanut.

This song writes itself.

Meerkat
02-09-2008, 12:13 AM
I know. I hated to say it because I sounded it out and knew it was never, never going to work. ;)

We could pretend she's from Virginia.

Not the old "Yes--Virginia--there's where we'll Send her Clause" ?!?

reigningcatsndogs
02-09-2008, 12:13 AM
*sigh* Why do Canadians have such a problem with U.S. geography when us United States of Americans know Canadian geography sooooooo well?

This song writes itself.

I'd love to hear what you can do with Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan!!

choppersmom
02-09-2008, 12:14 AM
[quote=III;2042459]I vote for "Tornadoes Are Buttheads". Best. Title. Ever.[quote]

Love it!

Meerkat
02-09-2008, 12:16 AM

This song writes itself.

Connectic:heart:t is for Driv:heart:rs

JennaGlatzer
02-09-2008, 12:21 AM
But, wait, now we can work with Massachusetts.

Which is... um, so much better?

Massachusetts, where the kangaroo sits

reigningcatsndogs
02-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Okay, I know:

New York State of Mind
The Night the Lights Went out in Georgia
Tennessee Waltz
Yellow Rose of Texas
My Home's in Alabama
California Dreaming
The Lights All Went out In Massachussettes

... is there ANY song about Connecticut??

III
02-09-2008, 12:23 AM
I'd love to hear what you can do with Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan!!

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Jump up from Mexico, I'll catch you Juan
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
You've got a cute little butt I can pat you on
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
The show Hee Haw's no longer on
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
You damn kids get off my lawn

Is that enough or do you want me to keep going?

III
02-09-2008, 12:28 AM
I can just see Jason's wife, sitting at home, monitoring this thread to see the caring community which her husband is selflessly representing, having to sort through dozens of posts about how nothing rhymes with Connecticut and saying "These are the people he hangs out with?"

:hi: Hi Mrs. Tudor!

reigningcatsndogs
02-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

NO NO NO!!!! That's more than enough!!!! (although you don't have any reference to grasshoppers)

:Hail: I will NEVER DOUBT you again. You are the master!!!!

Meerkat
02-09-2008, 12:34 AM
But, wait, now we can work with Massachusetts.

Which is... um, so much better?

Massachusetts, where the kangaroo sits

Massachusetts: the land down under!
Where r's are dropped,
And men "thunda,"
Can you hear it?
Can you hear the tongue theyeah?

Somebody--please--stop me...

choppersmom
02-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

OK, this post finally got me. I'm sitting at my desk at work choking on a chocolate chip cookie right now. A cute little butt I can pat you on!!!!!! :roll:

choppersmom
02-09-2008, 12:38 AM
I can just see Jason's wife, sitting at home, monitoring this thread to see the caring community which her husband is selflessly representing, having to sort through dozens of posts about how nothing rhymes with Connecticut and saying "These are the people he hangs out with?"

We're not usually this wacky, I SWEAR!!

Okay, we are.

But we're harmless.

Mostly.

Umm, I'll stop talking now.

Sarita
02-09-2008, 12:41 AM
I just talked to Jason, he's about an hour from Nerds :) And he says the weather is fantastic for driving!

HeronW
02-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Oh Connecticut, Oh Connecticut
where the politicos all tax your butt
from Old Greenwich (without the t)
How Old Money pronounces it is UP to WE
to Stonington where nothing's done
because Massawhosh*ts has all the fun!

choppersmom
02-09-2008, 12:48 AM
YAY! One more hour!!

choppersmom
02-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Oh Connecticut, Oh Connecticut
where the politicos all tax your butt
from Old Greenwich (without the t)
How Old Money pronounces it is UP to WE
to Stonington where nothing's done
because Massawhosh*ts has all the fun!

VERY nice job!

nerds
02-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Except the home is in Connecticut, not Virginia... right?

LOL. too many syllables.

Jason will be here in just about an hour, I'm going offline now. :Hug2: to all.

nerds
02-09-2008, 12:51 AM

:roll:

Sarita
02-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Bye Nerds! Hug Jason for us!

See you tomorrow :)