Writing through distractions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a stressful week. I'm in full-stop wait mode for two jobs I'm interviewing for, my dad had major heart surgery and is still under observation for potential bleeding, my son has just been diagnosed with ADHD, my husband just left on business for the rest of the week. This is, I suppose, everyday stuff, but it's making it difficult to concentrate on the writing.

How do you cope with life's distractions? Tips, tricks, strategies welcome.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I escape into a more pleasant world, or at least a different one: the one in my writing. Instead of just sitting down to write, I'll go back many pages, or a chapter or two, to reread what I've done recently, kind of immersing myself in the reality of the fictional setting instead of my life's real reality. This has worked for me many times, through some pretty serious stresses. Not every time, mind you, but often.

Best wishes for all your present trials to have the best possible outcomes.

Maryn, hugging even though it bumps boobs

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I usually have distractions arrive one at a time, Caro. Sounds like you're swamped with them. Just hunker in and push.

Good luck with all of it. My thoughts to your father and your family. I hope all is well in the end...that alone is, I imagine, a boat-load of stress.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have ADHD. Easily distracted. Try locking yourself up in your room, not coming out until you gotta go.

Shut your phone off, and write.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I purge into a paper journal, then get to work as best as I can. The free-writing without contemplating really helps clear things out.

My thoughts are also with you and your family! *hugs*

Kassandra

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Caro,

I can sympathise well. Just recently my dad had a kidney removed and the surgery for him was very dangerous. I am still paying up debts from a theatre production I was directing and preparing for 6 months -the producer run leaving the whole team unpaid and suddenly unemployed - had no time for my book during the theatre work and now the book is horribly delayed and I am in an embarassing position with the publisher- and found myself running aroung like crazy to get a job in the middle of massive debts for my kind of living. Its not easy to write when hell seems to be going all around you. Still, I try not to forget that it is when I write and read that I am the happiest.

No matter what happens I always try to start the day by lying in bed and gaze at the ceilling. All kinds of thoughts and ideas arrive from a state of coming out of sleep and the day not having started yet. Its the time I solve both reality problems and creative problems too.

I love coffee -houses so when I can't stay in, I take my note book, go to a favourite cafe, treat myself and sit and do the writing there. Being away from the "work- desk" helps me to work, as it takes away the pressure of having to do it. Its a kind of tricking myself that this now is not work but fun as I tend to react badly to "musts".

Reading also helps me to get in the mood for wanting to sit down and write.

Wish you strength to you and your family

Kassandra

MMWyrm

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MLoriMotley.com
Writing is the only thing that gets me through stressful distractions like that. I write after my kids go to bed. I feel for you. I know it's tough.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
When possible, use the energy you've got. For instance, I've sometimes taken days when I felt extremely anxious and written a scene in which the character is in similar straits. Same goes for depression. Sometimes you can at least use the emotional ties tugging at you to fuel an accurate, heartfelt response for your character.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
:Hug2: Look at the positives you have going. Your dad made it through a very tricky surgery. Positive one. (I'm sure he'll be fine, btw. You and your family will be in my thoughts!) Your son will still love you as much as ever-- he'll just do it at a velocity approaching the speed of light. :D Positive two. (I truly wouldn't worry as much about the diagnosis. I work with children on a daily basis-- several of whom have been diagnosed ADHD. They're my favorite kids because they always keep me on my toes!) Not sure what kind of business your husband does, but call him up at a random moment-- hopefully when you know he won't be busy with business-y things :tongue-- just to say that you miss him and love him. (Which I certainly hope you do!)

Remember to take a moment, or ten, for you and only you. Find a park for your son to play and you to sit and just enjoy the moment. Find a babysitter or a friend's house for your son when your husband gets home and plan a night just for the two of you. Make a silly card for your dad and take it to him in the hospital, just like I'm sure you probably did when you were a kid. I know it's hard to do, but try not to focus on the 'negatives', keep things on a positive.

Once all of that is brought into focus, I truly think you'll find time to write that you didn't even realize you had.

And remember-- you have a ton of friends here to vent to at any given moment of any given day!

Although I'd be wary of taking advice from a bunny tied up in a straight jacket freely admitting to being both cute and psycho... :LilLove:

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for all the advice, insight and support.

My mum called to say that my dad's doing a lot better after his surgery to repair an aortic aneurysm. They live on the other side of the country so it's hard to be so far away.

Despite his struggles, my son is a champion and one of the greatest loves of my life. He's going to be okay (but will I?).

I managed to write some yesterday and I feel like I'm in a writing mood today. I guess sometimes you just have to go through stuff and come out the other side. The writing's always there for me. And so are you guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.