PDA

View Full Version : Voting

AllyWoof
02-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Does anyone besides me think people are making too much of a big deal about this years election?

WerenCole
02-06-2008, 02:32 AM
No. . . because it is a big deal.

(I sense this thread getting moved.)

AllyWoof
02-06-2008, 02:35 AM
Okay. Sorry. I won't state my opinion ever again.

WerenCole
02-06-2008, 02:37 AM
???????

Kadea
02-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Ally-
Not sure of your age, that may be part of it.

Why is this election cycle such a big deal? Well... for starters- the US is on the cusp and has potentially already slipped in to a recession. That will affect millions of people in this country. Ask the thousands and thousands of people who have lost their homes in the last few months if it is important to ensure the economy doesn't get worse than it already has. It is heart wrenching to see many people who had been successful people forced to sell their homes for less than they paid for them simply because their ENTIRE industry has dried up (mortgage brokers, even legit ones)!

It is also hugely important to re-inspire the youth of today to care about who is running this country as you have so perfectly shown is missing.

Here's a great VERY current article if you'd like to read about the state of the economy http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/business/05cnd-stox.html?em&ex=1202360400&en=1b8c8eef33c0442f&ei=5087%0A

I could rant forever.

This thread might be better of in the Politics section, don't ya think?

JLCwrites
02-06-2008, 03:01 AM
Every election is a big deal. It is what makes this country an amazing place. :)

JLCwrites
02-06-2008, 03:11 AM
Adding spice (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2032978&postcount=1834)....
http://www.evilbeetgossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/spice_girls1.jpg (http://www.evilbeetgossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/spice_girls1.jpg)

Finni
02-06-2008, 03:58 AM
Its only a big deal if people aren't allowed to vote, I've noticed that.
However, Generations later when everyone has a right to vote its no longer important. People don't see it as a responsibility or a right....it becomes a hassle. They let rain or snow stop them, forgetting that thousands of people protested and risked being killed and jailed ... and didn't even thinkk of letting it stop them.

When I vote I feel honored that years ago people fought for my right to vote, and because of their struggle it is my responsibility.

It is always a big deal when I step inside that booth.

talps
02-06-2008, 04:00 AM
Hard to say... was I lured here by the promise of The Spice Girls, or by the promise of insightful political dialogue?

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Kidding aside... Hell yes I think this is a big deal. Just look at the Democratic party, which is guaranteed to give us a historic first when the dust muck settles. That alone is major.

And then there are the many fine points mentioned by Kadea.

And then there's Posh.

Oh, never mind...

Rolling Thunder
02-06-2008, 04:07 AM
This thread might be better off in the Politics section, don't ya think?

No. Haskin's has enough meat to chew on already.

stormie
02-06-2008, 04:13 AM
What it is, is our freedom. Our freedom to vote. Or not. Our freedom to vote for whom we want in office.

People who aren't allowed to vote at all, and have strong feelings about who should get elected into office, understand that need to be able to vote. And if they have that freedom to vote, they'd vote for whom they want, not whom they're told to vote for.

A country can spiral downhill fast under the wrong leader. Recession ignored, intelligent studies done about a war and ignored. Or what happened six years ago and how it can be prevented from happening again and ignored.

It's a good question, Alycia, and I know several people who have that same sense of wonderment on why it is so important.

William Haskins
02-06-2008, 04:15 AM
Does anyone besides me think people are making too much of a big deal about this years election?

since votes on a single week of american idol dwarf those cast in presidential elections, i don't think slackjawed, apolitical dumbasses are in danger of having the oxygen sucked out of the country by political junkies.

Homewrecker
02-06-2008, 04:30 AM
I think voting is very important. Women have only been able to do it in the US for about 87 years. And I think it's important to be engaged in my macro and micro community. On one level I don't think that this particular election is more important than any of the others (they're all important). But I do think this one is different in that both parties are trying to select candidates to run for the president.

What I do find annoying is how polling is being touted as the voice of the people.

Cheers!

brokenfingers
02-06-2008, 04:57 AM
Does anyone besides me think people are making too much of a big deal about this years election?Too much of a big deal? Hmmm... maybe.

But ask yourself this:

Are you happy with where you're at right now?

Are you happy with where this country is right now?

Do you feel safe - outside your house, within your house and around the world?

Are you hopeful for the future?

Do you see any problems in your local area? Is everybody gainfully employed and happy? Are people moruing the loss of jobs? Or the loss of loved ones who dies overseas?

Are you going to college and if so, were you able to afford it or easily acquired all the money necessary to go to the school of your choice?

Is everyone in your family healthy?

Do you have kids or know anybody who has one?

Ask yourself these questions and more, and then ask yourself if this election is a big deal or not.

This is your future. It's that simple. So you tell me - is your future really that important?

Hillary
02-06-2008, 05:11 AM
Our country's in the toilet. Your vote helps decide whether we get flushed or fished out. So, yeah, it's pretty important.

Or, to be more eloquent about it, what Brokenfingers said.

Rolling Thunder
02-06-2008, 05:15 AM
Apparently, the younger set is turning out in high numbers to vote in the primaries. I'm hoping all is not lost and the future will be better.

AllyWoof
02-06-2008, 05:17 AM
Yeah. Anyone has got to be better than the current one.

AllyWoof
02-06-2008, 05:23 AM
Oh and I should have mentioned something else with my priginal posts. This question stemmed from someone on the radio who said"I felt honor voting today because it reminded me of the first time my mother took me to vote. I was still in a stroller."

WerenCole
02-06-2008, 05:28 AM
I feel some sense of accomplishment when I vote. . . yes. Do I get nostalgic and call radio shows? Not so much. People can talk about "civic duty" and all the democratic political cliches they want (hey. . what is a cliche except a common truth beaten into the ground?) but I agree with the fingers of the broken. . . if you don't like the way stuff if happening in your country and you haven't voted then you don't have much of a right to complain.

All presidential years are big. Everybody always has a grievance against some entrenched system or regime. The process creates awareness and stimulates (hopefully) some type of meaningful change.

But hey. . . you could be living in Kenya. Think they take voting seriously?

Silver King
02-06-2008, 05:51 AM
Oh and I should have mentioned something else with my priginal posts. This question stemmed from someone on the radio who said"I felt honor voting today because it reminded me of the first time my mother took me to vote. I was still in a stroller."
I'm still trying to figure out where you're coming from, Ally, so please keep your posts rolling in so I can piece together your thoughts.

AllyWoof
02-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Or you could chalk it up to the fact I ramble way too often.

Shadow_Ferret
02-06-2008, 07:08 AM
No. . . because it is a big deal. Since when?

Did someone actually worth voting for just throw their hat into the ring?

People always say it's your civic duty to vote.

Shouldn't it be their civic duty to give us someone to vote for?

Kadea
02-06-2008, 07:10 AM

Actually, I clearly remember the first time I buckled my oldest son in to his jogging stroller and walked the 15 minutes to our polling place. I doubt he'll remember it, because he was less than a year old. All day I had him wear the "I voted" sticker they gave me.

I hope he'll be one of those people years from now who can proudly say, "I've never missed an opportunity to vote!"

You can't complain about the "system" wronging you or being broken if you don't take the time to voice your opinion about it. I've seen way too much of that over the years.

Silver King
02-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Or you could chalk it up to the fact I ramble way too often.
That's all right. I do that as well, more often than not.

I was just wondering if you would clarify your position on voting. There isn't any right or wrong answers here, only what means most to you.

AllyWoof
02-06-2008, 07:16 AM
You can't complain about the "system" wronging you or being broken if you don't take the time to voice your opinion about it. I've seen way too much of that over the years.

Most definately.

Since when?

No. However, I did tell my boyfriend he should consider running.

AllyWoof
02-06-2008, 07:20 AM
That's all right. I do that as well, more often than not.

I was just wondering if you would clarify your position on voting. There isn't any right or wrong answers here, only what means most to you. I am one of the token demacrats where I live.

Silver King
02-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Since when?

That's a good point. But when we're hungry, we eat what's given to us. Going without food is always an option, I suppose, unless you want to bring in another chef.

WerenCole
02-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Did you say chef? Well, here I am. If you put the cursor under the P in my post count it does say that I should run for President.

Silver King
02-06-2008, 07:24 AM
I am one of the token demacrats where I live.
That's good. You know where your heart stands and how best to make your feelings known where it counts...in the voting booth.

AllyWoof
02-06-2008, 07:27 AM
That's good. You know where your heart stands and how best to make your feelings known where it counts...in the voting booth. Yeah. Too bad anyone I vote for loses.

Silver King
02-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Yeah. Too bad anyone I vote for loses.
Maybe. But you don't know the results until after the election.

I lost a thousand dollars on a football game the other day. The team I voted against was supposed to lose, also. But they won. So you never know...

paprikapink
02-06-2008, 07:43 AM
I feel like we have better choices this year than...than...ever maybe. I even like one of the Republicans.

I have brought my children with me to vote in every election since they were born. Their dad and I always make a big deal of it -- talk it up a lot before, during, and after. In the evenings after homework dad and the kids huddle around the computer trolling YouTube for candidate's speeches. My kids just take it for granted now that it is important. Even my 13-y-o who is right on schedule with the eye-rolling on about just about everything else considers election day a matter worth pulling her nose out of her book for. For a few minutes at least.

AllyWoof
02-06-2008, 07:58 AM
For a thread that was predicted to be locked, it has sure sparked a lively debate. Anyway, I'm out for the night. Talk to everyone tomarrow.

Williebee
02-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Voting is one of those things that gets my soapbox out. But I'll keep this short.

Voting isn't just a right. It's a responsibility. Everyone who can, should. It's a way of saying "My opinion matters, if only because it is worth just as much as the guy next door, the girl down the street, and that 'suit' on TV."

stormie
02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
I feel like we have better choices this year than...than...ever maybe. I even like one of the Republicans.
Yep. This is going to be a very interesting year.

AllyWoof
02-06-2008, 08:18 PM
I agree Willie.

robeiae
02-06-2008, 08:23 PM
However, I did tell my boyfriend he should consider running.Why? Are you about to hit him with a stick?

AllyWoof
02-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Why? Are you about to hit him with a stick?
No. But, considering how much he has shut me out the last few months, the idea is rather appealing. However, this is not the thread to have this conversation.

Little Red Barn
02-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Alycia, good question! People are passionate about their opinions on leadership, just, well, like religion. I feel whenever we elect a president it's a big deal. It's important people use their voice by voting. :D

davids
02-06-2008, 08:30 PM
That's a good point. But when we're hungry, we eat what's given to us. Going without food is always an option, I suppose, unless you want to bring in another chef.

Or you can fast for a few years-modified of course-it is healthy and beats the hell out of eating junk or voting for it-I know I know-but there is not a hell of a lot to choose from that is worth not fasting-I know I know-honor and glory and country-respect and privelege-all worth considering but I kinda understand Shadow Ferret and even kinda agree-shit I need a drink!

Stew21
02-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Ally - just becuase someone tells you they disagree doesn't mean you have to refrain from stating your opinion. Instead you should state it, provide the reasons, and then listen to the other side so you can determine if your opinion is flawed and if perhaps you might change it.

Keep talking.

AllyWoof
02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Ally - just becuase someone tells you they disagree doesn't mean you have to refrain from stating your opinion. Instead you should state it, provide the reasons, and then listen to the other side so you can determine if your opinion is flawed and if perhaps you might change it.

Keep talking. I'm still posting, aren't I?

Stew21
02-06-2008, 08:38 PM
yes. Good. I was just struck by your initial reply to WerenCole.

writerterri
02-06-2008, 09:25 PM
How come the media is swaying so many votes? Seems like the Dems have it this year. I did hear from the media that most people are going to vote Dem. this time since the Rep. in office started an unnecessary war and our economy is on the brinks of a disaster.

The Gov. works for us, we don't work for it. Too many people are too quiet. Including myself.

And aren't we forgetting who's really in charge?

Oh, I forgot He was separated from State. Shame. Now we must run this country ourselves, without His powerful hand.

Where do we start?

How about prayer?

Eventually God will be completely kicked out of this country. Then how will we survive? Does anyone remember what school was like when there was prayer in it?

I know. I've opened a whole can of worms. I must answer these questions first before I expect you guys to. But it does provoke thought, I hope.

In God We Trust

The founding Fathers of this country included God when they began the USA and it was because of that we became most prosperous. Now that we've kicked him out take a look back and see the down ward spiral.

It's only going to get worse no matter who's in office. Unless we invite God back in.

The top of the morning to ya's!

Don't bash me. I'm fragile. :D

dolores haze
02-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I won't bash you, Terri. I like you too much. I have to disagree, though. I think there is already too much God in government. I think there needs to be more separation of church and state, not less.

writerterri
02-06-2008, 09:57 PM
I won't bash you, Terri. I like you too much. I have to disagree, though. I think there is already too much God in government. I think there needs to be more separation of church and state, not less.

Thanks Dolores! I value your op as well. But could you give examples? Cause I don't see it.

Yes, my dorka$$ is fragile, AuntyBug! Well, I wallow with the best of them if I ever find out my AW family doesn't like me. :)

But remember I fly like a butterfly, stink like a bee when you pisk off the queen of the hive. :D

dolores haze
02-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks Dolores! I value your op as well. But could you give examples? Cause I don't see it.

Well, I studied religious history in school. I could give you a few hundred examples from history, but I think you're asking for more modern examples.

At one end of the extreme you have Afghanistan as it was ruled by the Taliban. Of course, that is a very extreme example, but not a lonely one in the course of human history. The Taliban percieved themselves to be ruling by God's will. They did monstrous things in the name of God.

It's not so extreme in the U.S., but I still get nervous when there's too much talk of God by our political leaders.

I don't think there should be prayer in school. I don't think creationism should be taught in school. I don't think political candidates need to be of a religious bent. I don't agree with "one nation under God" in the Pledge. I don't want a President who makes decisions for the country based on his/her religious beliefs.

And most of all I really don't see why people equate "religious" with "good". I mean, I'm quite sure Osama bin Laden sees himself as a very religious person. Is he a good person? It is quite possible to be an atheist, and be a good person. It is quite possible to be a believer, and be a bad person.

The U.S. government should serve the people - not God.

IMO. And in full disclosure - I think I may have read "The Handmaid's Tale" once too often.

stormie
02-06-2008, 11:07 PM
^^Good discussion between Terri and Dolores.^^ You each present your side very well. Now if only most politicians could discuss their views in a debate in that manner....

Kadea
02-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Why don't we break this down to the basic fundamentals. What this country really needs is more respect. To me the most important belief I have is that each person should be respected and that includes different opinions.

Example *ducking for what this might bring on*:

I personally could never have an abortion (except in the most extreme circumstance). But I do believe that I can't make that choice for another person- I simply can't know enough about their individual situation to make that choice for them. I do believe that if it is going to be done... then it absolutely must be done at the earliest stages. Therefore, I am most closely identifying with the pro-choice side. Anyone who knows me very well will know what a mother bear I am so it has nothing do do with not loving a child. Does that make sense?

Shadow_Ferret
02-07-2008, 03:41 AM
You can't complain about the "system" wronging you or being broken if you don't take the time to voice your opinion about it. I've seen way too much of that over the years.Yes, they CAN complain. That's what free speech is all about. Unless you're intending to change the rules so only registered and active voters have a right to free speech.

And aren't we forgetting who's really in charge?

The day He casts a vote is the day He can have his say.

Jersey Chick
02-07-2008, 04:31 AM
There's a difference between bringing God into it, and bringing religious fanaticism into it. I'm not a particularly religious person (lightning would strike me if I even thought about going to church), but I see nothing wrong with or a moment of silence when there's been a tragedy, whether national or local (I remember doing that when Challenger blew up.) I also fail to see what's so terrible about a coach wanting to say a prayer before a game.

The presidential election is the one election I always vote in. On the local level, it seems like our mayor changes every 6 weeks, but I can't recall any election and I don't think I've ever voted in a local election. I make the state ones if I can. But president... I could be two seconds from dead and I'd still drag myself down to the voting place.

Right now, I don't care because I'm not registered with any party and have no desire to be, so I can't vote in the primaries even if I wanted to. I'll wait until there are clear-cut candidates and work from there. I'm enough of a cynic to believe they are all the same (rotten, lying politicians), but I'm also enough of a dreamer to hope that maybe, this time, I'll be wrong.

so far it hasn't happened yet.

brokenfingers
02-07-2008, 04:51 AM
Since when?

Shouldn't it be their civic duty to give us someone to vote for?Who's this "they"? Are you an Illuminati believer?

JLCwrites
02-07-2008, 05:30 AM
Not to play devil's advocate... but I actually chose NOT to vote on a local city issue. You see... it needed a certain percentage of people to vote in order for it to be passed. So those who opposed it, didn't vote. Therefore, by not voting... I still had a voice. Odd... I know.
:Shrug:

Serenity
02-07-2008, 05:43 AM
I couldn't tell you if it is or isn't a big deal and why. But what I can tell you is that at the age of 34, I have never registered to vote. Why that is isn't important here, at least I don't think so. So, I haven't complained to much about those in office, because I did nothing to put them there or keep them out.

I don't know why that has changed for me, but it has. Because yesterday, for the first time ever, I registered to vote. I didn't do it early enough to participate in the primaries here in Virginia, but I will be voting in the upcoming elections. Something this year is just... speaking to me, I guess. Plus I think it can become a bigger deal when you have a sitting president who is not/can not run again because his time is up.

It's a change. A new start to shake things up a bit.

AllyWoof
02-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Yes, they CAN complain. That's what free speech is all about. Unless you're intending to change the rules so only registered and active voters have a right to free speech. Good point, but still. I have to agree that to have true complaining rights, you have to vote.Sorry. That is just the way it should be.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm with Ally. If you haven't done your best - whether it be campaigning, running for office, being involved in politics at the local level or above, or 'just' voting - you're not entitled to gripe about what other people have done without your help... unless you just want to sit in a room all by yourself and rail at the television where no one can hear you. I sure don't want to hear it.

AllyWoof
02-07-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm with Ally. If you haven't done your best - whether it be campaigning, running for office, being involved in politics at the local level or above, or 'just' voting - you're not entitled to gripe about what other people have done without your help... unless you just want to sit in a room all by yourself and rail at the television where no one can hear you. I sure don't want to hear it. Yay! I voted! I get to complain!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-07-2008, 06:36 PM
;) Me, too.