PDA

View Full Version : "Undeclared" voter?

IHeartWriting
02-05-2008, 08:16 PM
When I showed up to vote today I was told I was "undeclared" and had to fill out a form saying what party I was affiliated with.

I vote in every election. I registered with a party in 1988 and have never changed.

There was only one other person voting while I was there, and by some odd "coincidence" they weren't registered either (though he, like me, insisted he was).

Is this happening to people everywhere?

And for the record, I voted for someone who has already dropped out of the race. In three years I may have to move to an early primary state just so I can feel like my vote has a chance in hell of counting....

Finni
02-05-2008, 08:37 PM
I live in NY, and no, it didn't happen to me. I would raise bloody hell though. Were the both of you affiliated with the same party? You got to vote after filling out the card, right? If not you better speak up. All we need is another year of votes not counting, no matter what party you belong to.

I hear ya about states voting early. Its not fair that some states count more than others in the primaries. They say its so candidates can campaign and bluh bluh bluh, but come on! We have TV, the internet, information up the ass...I think things have changed, and now the way the primaries are handled needs to change.

nerds
02-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Some states are changing the "Independent" registration to "Undeclared". I've been a lifelong registered Independent, which when living in CT I still am. When living in MA I'm now declared as Undeclared by the state.

To understand it all you have to google a specific state of interest along with keywords independent undeclared voter. That'll get you your state's legislation description/explanation. It's all tied up in how they'll let you vote in the primaries and regular elections and it's a bunch of convoluted cow puckey as far as I'm concerned.