Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Needless to say, I got intrigued. :)

My fave?
2. Renaissance faires
Huzzah! A shilling for the king! Enjoy thy mead, kind sirrah." No, dude, it's not a shilling, it's $8. And it's not mead, it's Bud Light in a plastic cup with a picture of a unicorn on it. Don't get us wrong, the notion of spending a Saturday visiting a reconstituted medieval village is all good fun, with the jousting and the turkey legs and the roaming Shakespearian clowns yelling insults at people. But it's all too easy to see the cardboard-and-felt façade that most ren-fests are built on, and the compromises necessary to make a true medieval experience palatable to a modern audience. (The true Middle Ages lifestyle involved more plague rats, religious persecution, and plumbing "systems" that are really just buckets tossed out of your front window.)
http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/the_knights_who_say_nerd_20_pop

Last edited:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Odd... I had a dream last night that I was adutioning for Rocky Horror Movie Show Picture... and I love half of the things on the list... "gasps" Am I a geek? "checking his Wikipedia account while listening Joe's Garage and reading Buffy fanfic"

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
The problem with Renaissance Fairs is that the Renaissance came after the Middle Ages (which ran from 500 AD to 1500 AD). If you want to see how the hard-core nerds do the medieval thing the right way, check out these cool folks, mon freres: http://www.sca.org/
Yeah, baby, yeah!

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Ol' Boy and I were in a photo studio a couple years ago having the requisite family portrait made. As we left, the next family was coming in - eight folks dressed in full armor - shiny and polished and pretty! - complete with chainmail with their ladies and children in the appropriate royal dress. High up in the SCA, these folks were SERIOUS and their costumes were gorgeous.

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
"Bring outcha dead! Bring outcha dead!"

RensancGeek.jpg

I never got to go, but I coulda dug me some Turkey legs.

I think if I'd had a more normal family life as a child I'd have been much geekier. Just something about shiney metal, deadly weapons, and talking with an accent that appeals to me. :D

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
I think this thread would have more legs, but, I may have hit a nerve here. :)

Lots of people, just hanging back and whistling, changing topic. "So, that WEATHER today ... whooo!"

:gone:

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
My neice and har family a very big into the fairs, and those theater/entertainment restutrants that have jousting and costumed staff.

They only go as spectators, no fancy dress or armour, but it's always part of their vacation or weekend trips. I didn't know this, but she said that they don't actually give you untinsels in those resturants.

Speaking of geeky. Did anyone catch that episode of "King of the Hill" when the "fair" came to town. Hilarious! (but... I just heard about it. I didn't actually watch the show or anything. Jeesh.)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pearl Jam fans are geeky. This has to be the only band in the world that can sell socks.

Socks.

2087.jpg

No, I don't own any. Quit looking at me like that. By PJ standards, I'm an extremely casual fan.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
I like the Detroit Red Wing-like logo. :)

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
If you want to see how the hard-core nerds do the medieval thing the right way, check out these cool folks, mon freres: http://www.sca.org/

I used to print their newsletter back in the late seventies when I worked for a print shop.

They are pretty out there. They were banned from the Texas Renaissance festival because they'd actually hurt each other in their 'mock' sword fights. They might be allowed back now, I dunno.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I've been to only one Renaissance Faire, but loved it and am very much looking forward to taking Sarina someday. :)

(Oh, and since when is geekhood a bad thing?)