PDA

View Full Version : Who's making pancakes?

Bmwhtly
02-05-2008, 06:25 PM
That's right, ladies and menfolk (and you Haggis).

Lent starts tomorrow, so that makes today Pancake Day!
Is anyone honouring this sacred ritual, as old as time, by stuffing their faces with pancakes?
I will be tonight. With lemon juice and honey :D

cray
02-05-2008, 06:28 PM
pancakes?
isn't it fastnacht day?

Meerkat
02-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Cray and his big words.....

Pancakes. Good. Me in.

Bmwhtly
02-05-2008, 06:30 PM
pancakes?
isn't it fastnacht day?*sniffs Cray*

I smell culture lag.

Over here, it's called Shrove Tuesday. Which means Pancake Day :)

cray
02-05-2008, 06:31 PM
over where? are you in new jersey?
:D

Jaycinth
02-05-2008, 06:31 PM
I make pancakes EVERY MardiGras.

I'm bored to tears by pancakes.

so..................no.

I'm torn between a southwestern feast (without syrup)

Or a cajun feast (without syrup)

Meerkat
02-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Would a nice armadillo pie fill both cuisine bills, Lady Jay?

DeleyanLee
02-05-2008, 06:51 PM
I thought it was Pašski Day.

(who brought in a dozen pašski for all the nice people at work. :) )

JoeEkaitis
02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
We've already made dinner plans.

http://www.automaticwasher.org/COLLECTIONS/JOEEKAITIS/15@A%20Mardi%20Gras%20Dinner%20courtesy%20of%20Che f%20Ekaitis,%20Krusteaz%20and%20Popeye's.@JOEEKAIT IS.jpg

Meerkat
02-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Bumping this--it's been thirty minutes. There's no reason we can't make this the longest running, most widely read thread in the history of AW. Now then, what were you saying about pancakes and how good they are, Ben?

Meerkat
02-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Anyone?

Meerkat
02-05-2008, 07:26 PM
R.I.P.
the "Pancake" thread
9:25 to 10:24, AD

'Tis a truth that the brightest flames burn the shortest in duration

Bmwhtly
02-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Nice try Meery.

I didn't realise Pancake Day wasn't a thing over there. Apparently it is Canada.

Meerkat
02-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Who-a-da? Is it that "outback" near Boston or something?

Silver King
02-05-2008, 07:37 PM
There is a member here called, mmm... pancakes (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=1407). He hasn't posted in a while, but maybe he'll smell this thread and come out of hibernation.

Magdalen
02-05-2008, 07:38 PM
At the grocery store the other day, in the dairy case, was a can, twice as big as the whipped cream can. I checked it out. It was pancake batter in a can!!! Just squirt into the frying pan and there you have it, pancakes! (I didn't buy it) Has anyone else seen or tried this wildly convenient new product?

Meerkat
02-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Try it--I'm caulking the bathtub with it! Only time will tell whether or not this is a good idea...

brokenfingers
02-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I've never heard of this tradition but damned if I don't have a hankering for pancakes now.

Damn you, Bmwhtly!!! Now I have to get up and actually go to the kitchen and cook something.

Bmwhtly
02-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I've never heard of this tradition:eek:
It's because tomorrow is the first day of lent (traditioinally a fasting time). So it's tradition to use up all the rich food from your cupboards (like eggs, flour and milk) in making pancakes.

Damn you, Bmwhtly!!! Now I have to get up and actually go to the kitchen and cook something.
Well, so long as you're going can you get me a beer?

Meerkat
02-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Speaking of traditions, how many posts at AW have started with the sentence "Damn you, Bmwhtly"? Must be in the hundreds by now...

C.bronco
02-05-2008, 08:01 PM
I had IHOP on Saturday. :)

Haggis
02-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Make mine a prune, please.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/Paczki.jpg/706px-Paczki.jpg

cray
02-05-2008, 08:02 PM
backed up?

Haggis
02-05-2008, 08:05 PM
backed up?

Not at all. It's just the traditional paczki.

ascribe
Mushroom pancakes for us, none of this sweet sickly stuff. :tongue

brokenfingers
:eek:
It's because tomorrow is the first day of lent (traditioinally a fasting time). So it's tradition to use up all the rich food from your cupboards (like eggs, flour and milk) in making pancakes.Ahhhh... Makes sense.

Well, so long as you're going can you get me a beer?Tell you what - howzabout a nice warm, leftover bottle from last night.

It's the least I could do. :D

CaroGirl
02-05-2008, 08:06 PM
I've never been to church. What are the consequences if you don't eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday? Are they severe?

Meerkat
02-05-2008, 08:12 PM
The odds are stacked against you in such a transgression.
Some have even been...battered.

Bmwhtly
02-05-2008, 08:18 PM
I've never been to church. What are the consequences if you don't eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday?None whatsoever. It's a tradition that fits in with the religiousness of lent.
But I don't think you get punished with eternal damnation for not enjoying this delicious snack dripping in golden syrup and lemon juice...

I'm sorry, what was the question?

reigningcatsndogs
02-05-2008, 08:31 PM
my cousin makes pancakes with beer -- they're very light and fluffy.

But today, for lunch -- potato pancakes!! The boys love em!!

sassandgroove
02-05-2008, 08:38 PM
I wasn't familiar with just the pancakes, but we do have Mardi Gras, esp in New Orleans and Mobile. I associate it with a feast, not necessarily just pancakes. BUt I am prostestant, so while we observe lent we don't typically fast, so it isn't as big a deal.

paprikapink
02-05-2008, 09:16 PM

http://www.automaticwasher.org/COLLECTIONS/JOEEKAITIS/15@A%20Mardi%20Gras%20Dinner%20courtesy%20of%20Che f%20Ekaitis,%20Krusteaz%20and%20Popeye's.@JOEEKAIT IS.jpg

Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles! Joe, bro, you in Oaktown?

Jaycinth
02-05-2008, 09:32 PM
None whatsoever. It's a tradition that fits in with the religiousness of lent.
But I don't think you get punished with eternal damnation for not enjoying this delicious snack dripping in golden syrup and lemon juice...

I'm sorry, what was the question?

Historically many cultures have a period of fast before the 'first fruits of spring' are harvested, and after the 'last fruits of fall' are harvested. These periods of fast are broken up by holidays where...surprise...we eat a lot of food.

This is because, also historically, the amount of daylight is low, we spend a lot of time indoors and we get bored. The best way to prevent an internal 'community fight' ( where you might lose valuable members of the community) is to have a celebration and eat food.

(Historically, there was no TV for amusement)
It is a lot easier to start a fast when your belly is full because a week later you can stay on it because everyone in your commmunity (maybe excepting the members who NEED extra nutrition...Pregger people, kids and the ancient wise folks) is on it and there is that thing called peer pressure.

And in the spring, you want to get as much out of your larder as possible so you can put in the fresh stuff.

And, Ben, It isn't just in Canada (I suspect you see it as a big thing there because you have the wonderful French Canadians who arrived in Canada- Catholic- and brought their traditions with them)

Where I grew up...and where I am...it is a big thing. half the churches around here are having pancake night tonite.

I'm just bored and so are my kids..so we are going to take Meerkat's armadillo...and flatten it like a pancake...and cut it into strips...and fry it lightly with corn, blackbeans, tomatoes and chiles and serve it on tortillas, covered with salsa and cheese and sourcream. And yellow rice. With re-fried beans on the side.

Vanilla-carmel-nut ice cream....

Jaycinth
02-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I've never been to church. What are the consequences if you don't eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday? Are they severe?

Yeah.

They make you wear a pancake on your head like a rabbit.

Until Easter.

Wait...you didn't know that is where the Ester Bunny legend came from?

Yeah! Everyone who doesn't eat a pancake has to wear a pancake on their head until the Easter Bunny comes around and removes it.

What? Drugs? No...I skipped them today:D

sassandgroove
02-05-2008, 09:38 PM
http://dropfknuck.net/dropfblog/blogs/media/blogs/all/bunny_pancake.jpg

Meerkat
02-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Allo mon cher!

JoeEkaitis
02-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles! Joe, bro, you in Oaktown?Popeye's spicy chicken and homemade (well, from Krusteaz mix) Belgian waffles.

I might also grab a container of Popeye's gravy so we can have the chicken smothered (covered in gravy) or dunked (break off a piece, dunk, eat).

It's gonna be a LONG day at work.

Rolling Thunder
02-05-2008, 10:45 PM
*munches on fresh fasnacht while others enjoy their breakfast pancakes*

rhymegirl
02-05-2008, 11:23 PM
I wish I could eat pancakes but I don't think I can.

Have to have a cholesterol check and such for insurance purposes.

Shadow_Ferret
02-05-2008, 11:27 PM
I thought it was Pašski Day.

(who brought in a dozen pašski for all the nice people at work. :) )
Yeah, every year we can count on every news station to go to the bakeries around town and hawk all the paczkis.

Never heard of the pancake thing though.

And I don't lend anything out anyway.

sassandgroove
02-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Apparently around these parts we have King Cake. Mr. Groove says traditionally there is a little plastic Jesus hidden in it and whoever gets the King buys the cake the next year. They had some at his office. He brought me a piece at lunch, it was a bit like a cinnamon roll with pecans. mmm.....

JLCwrites
02-05-2008, 11:55 PM
I am a pancake fanatic! My favorite are sourdough pancakes! Yum!
BTW... Just had pancakes with blackberry jam for lunch. ;)

Stew21
02-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Here we call it Fat Tuesday - and it's the last day to indulge in all things given up for Lent.
I never considered pancakes a Fat Tuesday tradition, but I am wondering who bought the king cake.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Boss' grandson is going to Catholic school... he's six. He learned about Lent yesterday and came home to tell his mother and father about it. His homework is to bring a list of three things he's going to give up for Lent this year.

Boss suggested to his daughter to tell the six-year-old to tell his teacher, "Beer, cigars, and sex."

:roll:

maestrowork
02-06-2008, 01:20 AM

Mmmmm Rosco's.

Happy Mardi Gras. Please, flash us.

reigningcatsndogs
02-06-2008, 01:22 AM
Boss' grandson is going to Catholic school... he's six. He learned about Lent yesterday and came home to tell his mother and father about it. His homework is to bring a list of three things he's going to give up for Lent this year.

Boss suggested to his daughter to tell the six-year-old to tell his teacher, "Beer, cigars, and sex."

:roll:

I used to go buy a pack of cigarettes on the Tuesday, take a drag on a couple of them, choke my lungs out, and then give the pack away the next day cause I was giving them up for Lent! (till they got too expensive!) I was a good Catholic girl!!:2angel:

I just made potato pancakes for the grubs, 12 giant ones the size of dinner plates, and they polished them all off. Having teenaged boys is like having walking industrial garburators :Shrug:

WerenCole
02-06-2008, 01:48 AM
Hmmmm. . . what is Lent and who actually gives a damn?

JoeEkaitis
02-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Mmmmm Rosco's.

Happy Mardi Gras. Please, flash us.Actually, Popeye's and Krusteaz at home.

paprikapink
02-06-2008, 04:46 AM
Confession: I have never eaten Popeye's chicken. And in honor of Lent, I will continue to not do so, indefinitely.

Chumplet
02-06-2008, 08:14 AM
We have Popeye's Chicken here in Newmarket. Pretty good stuff, but the biscuits are too spicy.

Tonight I made pancakes from scratch, with double vanilla and a splash of scotch in the batter. Delish! I'd take a picture but they're all gone.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but on Shrove Tuesday many households used up the last of the flour and sugar to make pancakes so the pantry would be empty of tempting cakes during Lent... or something like that.

maestrowork
02-06-2008, 09:10 AM
I hate Popeye's Chicken. Tasted awful. I prefer KFC or Chick-a-Fila.

I'm not a pancake fan, but I love waffles. I have a waffle maker and it's awesome.

Bmwhtly
02-06-2008, 12:29 PM
http://dropfknuck.net/dropfblog/blogs/media/blogs/all/bunny_pancake.jpg*sigh*
Another cuuture clash.

Pancake day pancakes are more like crepes than bunny-hats :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/26/Pancakes_shrove_tuesday.jpg

shown with blackcurrants and some kinds of red syrup.

sassandgroove
02-06-2008, 07:36 PM
mmm...yummy.

We had salad for dinner because we went to Burger King for lunch. Then we had popcorn for snack.

I mentioned to hubby it was Mardi Gras, I had forgotten because super tuesday (presidential primaries in the US.)

I think I will give up stress for lent. ;)

davids
02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Juevos Rancheros with lobster instead of beef-jalapenos on the side-and I lent my cousin the Chebby-it a club not a gang!

truelyana
02-06-2008, 11:38 PM
I make pancakes when I feel outside of it, being pancake day.

I love making oat pancakes, and various yummies enrolled in one.

Sophia
02-06-2008, 11:41 PM
We forgot to have pancakes yesterday, so had them today for a quick dinner, instead. Simple crepes, with lemon juice and sugar - yum yum yum!

dobiwon
02-06-2008, 11:51 PM
I used to go buy a pack of cigarettes on the Tuesday, take a drag on a couple of them, choke my lungs out, and then give the pack away the next day cause I was giving them up for Lent! (till they got too expensive!) I was a good Catholic girl!!

Reminds me of something my father used to say--that as a kid he always gave up oranges for lent--because they were so much of a pain to peel.