Detective Thrillers

Tiaga

Watching
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it would be nice to know other members of this sub genre.
Maybe we can discuss agents, publishers etc.

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
My stuff

I'm writing a series of Houston-based modern American hardboiled (well, parboiled maybe) private detective novels. Two are complete and my agent is now shopping them to publishers. The 3rd novel is in progress, with more to come.

You can read more at my website, on the Mysteries page:

http://www.waas.us

And yourself? You didn't say much.

Tiaga

Watching
Registered
Reaction score
I have one novel (a detective thriller) finished and out to agents. I am currently working on the second novel using the same main detective from my first one. I also have another (WIP) with a newspaper journalist as the lead.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to have you join us, Tiaga. (Seeing katdad reminds me, I need to ask you a music question... Later, OK?)

I write suspense, although the bogged-down part of my WIP is lagging because it keeps trying to be a police procedural. (I so don't want to do that much research!) I've published short stories and have another novel finished and languishing unsold for many years now. (I will someday reread it and hope to see that it deserved its fate.) This is my first big undertaking in this genre in a long time, and I fear I've bitten off way too much to chew.

Maryn, glad to see fresh faces

edfrzr

Registered
Reaction score
discussion

hey Tiagra, you mentioned discussing thing such as agents, publishers, etc. I would like some advice from Katdad. I have two completed MSs -- one is a thriller about ID theft, revenge and murder. The other is about a high school hazing gone bad and the Retribution that follows in the years to come (serious retribution). In the latter I introduce a character in which I would like to make into a series.

Katdad, I realize you haven't read either, but, do you have any suggestions as to any agents that would be interested in looking at these MSs?

thanks in advance.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:confused: Wonder what happened to Katdad? I haven't seen him in a couple of weeks now. Anyone have any sightings of him? :gone:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like to think that The Muse is with him and he's writing 16 hours a day, really hot on the next book of the series.

In reality, I have no idea, of course. But I miss him!

Maryn

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
Katdad is fine

edfrzr said:
I would like some advice from Katdad. do you have any suggestions as to any agents that would be interested in looking at these MSs? thanks in advance.

Sorry, no, I don't have any suggestions for agents. I recommend the usual routes: 1) Writer's Market agent & publisher listing, which is broken down by genre, 2) the internet.

Just send out lots of queries and try to get your books read by prospective agents. If you are stuck I'll be happy to make some specific suggestions, and I'll also read your query letter and give feedback.

By the way, I am fine -- just super busy. I went back to work at my old job (tech writing) and they are paying me big bucks and I'm verrrrry busy cranking out oil & gas industry tech stuff 40+ hours/week.

I also recently got a car and so I'm mobile and enjoying some night & weekend actitivies.

And there's Diane, who's been staying at my place the last couple weeks.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:flag: Well ....welcome back...and I'm glad you are having a 'life'. :)

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Maryn, if you've got a complete novel, don't let it languish! Did you try and sell it before? What is it about? How long is it? Now that you haven't looked at it for a while, perhaps you'll have a fresh perspective.