Edgy YA Fantasy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been having a look at the Edgy YA fiction threads, but could anyone recommend me some edgier YA fantasy books, if such a thing exists? I'm interested in what the boundaries are for issues and such specifically in fantasy, whether it's usually tamer than other YA books that deal more with 'real' life.
Jess

britlitfantw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vlawinning.ca
Can it be YA urban fantasy? If so, I'd say that Holly Black's books are pretty edgy. Or did you mean high fantasy? A different kind of fantasy?

ETA: Melissa Marr's WICKED LOVELY is a little bit edgy, but the ones by Holly Black are definitely moreso.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Can it be YA urban fantasy? If so, I'd say that Holly Black's books are pretty edgy. Or did you mean high fantasy? A different kind of fantasy?

ETA: Melissa Marr's WICKED LOVELY is a little bit edgy, but the ones by Holly Black are definitely moreso.

Either to be honest. I'm interested in YA fantasy that is maybe a bit darker or involves more 'adult' issues. The one I'm writing is urban fantasy, but I'm really new to the whole area of YA fiction so I was interested to see how far a writer could go and what would still be acceptible.

Thank you for the recs, I'll check out both authors.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking Francesca Lia Block, though I haven't read much by her. Her stuff is definitely a little AU, but I'm not positive it qualifies as fantasy. Still, definitely edgier than a razor blade.

I'd check out I Was a Teenage Fairy. My sister loved it.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Does edgy YA sci-fi count? Cause I'm writing one right now!

Other than that, most of the YA fantasy stuff I've read has been fairly tame. Well, sure, Alana has a bit of sex, but it's very PG-13ish stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.