I'm injured!

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I sprained my wrist this weekend -- trying to do tricks on a skateboard. How old am I? 14 or so? Oh, that's right, I'm 37. My 8 year old daughter rides a skateboard and I was attempting to show her that her mom is still cool...ahem, that didn't work out so well, let's just say.

So how about you? Have you injured yourself showing off for your kids?

Or am I the only idiot here?

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I just exaggerate my own childhood exploits and let my kids injure themselves trying to copy them. After all, I'm 37, that's too old to be trying stunts on a skateboard :D

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like something I would do. A couple of weeks ago I landed on my face following my kids down a black diamond ski run. After I pulled my front teeth out of my nasal cavity, I wondered what the hell I thought I was doing. I mean, I'm not 37 anymore.

Hope your wrist feels better soon!

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I fell on my noggin showing my kids how to dangle upside down from the monkey bars. Now they're too scared to dangle upside down from the monkey bars. No injury, though. I hope my kids have inherited my thick skull!

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
So how about you? Have you injured yourself showing off for your kids?
Not yet, but my kids really want me to go here with them. I'm strangely drawn..someone shoot me now. please.

Sorry about your wrist.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Not for my kids but.....

I have those slidy laminate floors all the way through my house. While a bit tipsy *cough* I decided to try and go the length of the house for the Ultimate Super Slide, aiming for the World Record to beat my hubby.

Unfortunately got a bit of over slippage and wrenched my knee. :( On the plus side my mates said it was pretty spectacular, the way I bounced off the wall.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Not yet, but my kids really want me to go here with them. I'm strangely drawn..someone shoot me now. please.

Sorry about your wrist.

That looks so fun!

And yes, III, you are correct. 37 is too old to be skateboarding. Waaaay too old.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
At age 38 I put myself in the hospital with a concussion after getting fancy on a snowtube for my son and his friends. Hit a thin patch and it was all over.

That's only one incident. Only one of several. :D

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Dude! Was the trick at least, like, Awesome?

(Wendy, Dudette, hope you get well soon!)

If you're asking about mine, it was like, totaallllly awesome. At least the part I can remember. The kids' favorite part was when I hit the thin patch and the snowtube went flying thataway while I flew, uh, way far far away. Till they realized they needed to go find a grownup, a phone, and an ambulance. That wasn't their favorite part. LOL.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Not that I can think of. Which is dadgum amazing, since I'm she-who-is-clumsiest. I don't have to be trying to show them something special, because I can run into the open car door or trip over a small speck of dirt for no reason. How's that for talent?

Sending good, get well vibes your way, Wendy. :Hug2:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch, Wendy...hope the wrist feels better soon!

I injure myself all the time showing off for my kids (or whoever) at the ice rink...:D I still enjoy doing jumps and spins, though this past year I've been a little more conservative, as I have a compressed disk in my back (from the accumulation of spills). And yes, I'm past the half-century mark, and should probably take up knitting or something...

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I now have my own stupid injury to add to the list! Last night I hurt my tailbone and golly, it smarts today. What happened, you ask? I'm not even telling, it's that ridiculous...

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
The closest I've come to injuring myself doing a stupid kid thing is when I farted while trying to lift a desk in front of my son. Ya know, like "One, two, three...Pfffffft!"

I think he's still laughing about it and it was like two years ago. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Idiot.

Okay. Me too. I did the skateboard thing for my son. In my day, skateboards were a completely different looking animal, though...hard plastic and way smaller surface. I still got it, though. I'm the kind of clumsy who falls down a mountain side, gets up at the bottoms, wipes the dirt off, stands up and says, "I'm okay. I'm okay." No sprains. Two years ago I got my first pair of roller blades (in my day it was roller skates...totally different animal). I wiped out a few times either going on skates with my son or playing hockey on them in the street, but I think I got the hang of them now.

I did impress him once by racing downhill on his bike and jumping a creek...without a ramp.

Kevin, who used to jump people on his bike with a homemade ramp...because Evil did it.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The closest I've come to injuring myself doing a stupid kid thing is when I farted while trying to lift a desk in front of my son. Ya know, like "One, two, three...Pfffffft!"

I think he's still laughing about it and it was like two years ago. :)

um. farts don't hurt. you're cheating.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's what videos are for. Show them your glory days in your 20s. Admit that you're old now.

Heh, heh, that only works if you're glory days are recorded on DVD (or you still have a working video machine). ;)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Probably gymnastics of some sort? Did you break the coffee table?