PDA

View Full Version : I'm injured!

WendyNYC
02-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I sprained my wrist this weekend -- trying to do tricks on a skateboard. How old am I? 14 or so? Oh, that's right, I'm 37. My 8 year old daughter rides a skateboard and I was attempting to show her that her mom is still cool...ahem, that didn't work out so well, let's just say.

So how about you? Have you injured yourself showing off for your kids?

Or am I the only idiot here?

III
02-04-2008, 08:39 PM
I just exaggerate my own childhood exploits and let my kids injure themselves trying to copy them. After all, I'm 37, that's too old to be trying stunts on a skateboard :D

CaroGirl
02-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Sounds like something I would do. A couple of weeks ago I landed on my face following my kids down a black diamond ski run. After I pulled my front teeth out of my nasal cavity, I wondered what the hell I thought I was doing. I mean, I'm not 37 anymore.

Hope your wrist feels better soon!

dolores haze
02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
I fell on my noggin showing my kids how to dangle upside down from the monkey bars. Now they're too scared to dangle upside down from the monkey bars. No injury, though. I hope my kids have inherited my thick skull!

writerterri
02-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Never. You're a dork.

:tongue

P.H.Delarran
02-04-2008, 09:02 PM
So how about you? Have you injured yourself showing off for your kids?

Not yet, but my kids really want me to go here (http://www.jumpskyhigh.com/sac/about.asp) with them. I'm strangely drawn..someone shoot me now. please.

Sorry about your wrist.

Mr Flibble
02-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Not for my kids but.....

I have those slidy laminate floors all the way through my house. While a bit tipsy *cough* I decided to try and go the length of the house for the Ultimate Super Slide, aiming for the World Record to beat my hubby.

Unfortunately got a bit of over slippage and wrenched my knee. :( On the plus side my mates said it was pretty spectacular, the way I bounced off the wall.

WendyNYC
02-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Not yet, but my kids really want me to go here (http://www.jumpskyhigh.com/sac/about.asp) with them. I'm strangely drawn..someone shoot me now. please.

Sorry about your wrist.

That looks so fun!

And yes, III, you are correct. 37 is too old to be skateboarding. Waaaay too old.

nerds
02-04-2008, 09:23 PM
At age 38 I put myself in the hospital with a concussion after getting fancy on a snowtube for my son and his friends. Hit a thin patch and it was all over.

That's only one incident. Only one of several. :D

Meerkat
02-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Dude! Was the trick at least, like, Awesome?

(Wendy, Dudette, hope you get well soon!)

nerds
02-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Dude! Was the trick at least, like, Awesome?

(Wendy, Dudette, hope you get well soon!)

If you're asking about mine, it was like, totaallllly awesome. At least the part I can remember. The kids' favorite part was when I hit the thin patch and the snowtube went flying thataway while I flew, uh, way far far away. Till they realized they needed to go find a grownup, a phone, and an ambulance. That wasn't their favorite part. LOL.

jannawrites
02-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Not that I can think of. Which is dadgum amazing, since I'm she-who-is-clumsiest. I don't have to be trying to show them something special, because I can run into the open car door or trip over a small speck of dirt for no reason. How's that for talent?

Sending good, get well vibes your way, Wendy. :Hug2:

Pat~
02-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Ouch, Wendy...hope the wrist feels better soon!

I injure myself all the time showing off for my kids (or whoever) at the ice rink...:D I still enjoy doing jumps and spins, though this past year I've been a little more conservative, as I have a compressed disk in my back (from the accumulation of spills). And yes, I'm past the half-century mark, and should probably take up knitting or something...

jannawrites
02-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I now have my own stupid injury to add to the list! Last night I hurt my tailbone and golly, it smarts today. What happened, you ask? I'm not even telling, it's that ridiculous...

quickWit
02-06-2008, 10:05 PM
The closest I've come to injuring myself doing a stupid kid thing is when I farted while trying to lift a desk in front of my son. Ya know, like "One, two, three...Pfffffft!"

I think he's still laughing about it and it was like two years ago. :)

KTC
02-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Idiot.

Okay. Me too. I did the skateboard thing for my son. In my day, skateboards were a completely different looking animal, though...hard plastic and way smaller surface. I still got it, though. I'm the kind of clumsy who falls down a mountain side, gets up at the bottoms, wipes the dirt off, stands up and says, "I'm okay. I'm okay." No sprains. Two years ago I got my first pair of roller blades (in my day it was roller skates...totally different animal). I wiped out a few times either going on skates with my son or playing hockey on them in the street, but I think I got the hang of them now.

I did impress him once by racing downhill on his bike and jumping a creek...without a ramp.

Kevin, who used to jump people on his bike with a homemade ramp...because Evil did it.

KTC
02-06-2008, 10:07 PM
The closest I've come to injuring myself doing a stupid kid thing is when I farted while trying to lift a desk in front of my son. Ya know, like "One, two, three...Pfffffft!"

I think he's still laughing about it and it was like two years ago. :)

um. farts don't hurt. you're cheating.

quickWit
02-06-2008, 10:11 PM
:e2moon:

maestrowork
02-06-2008, 10:11 PM
That's what videos are for. Show them your glory days in your 20s. Admit that you're old now.

KTC
02-06-2008, 10:13 PM
That's what videos are for. Show them your glory days in your 20s. Admit that you're old now.

Wait until you have kids. It's not like that.

writerterri
02-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Ray and Kev

Funny but dorky stuff.

Pat~
02-06-2008, 10:21 PM

Heh, heh, that only works if you're glory days are recorded on DVD (or you still have a working video machine). ;)

WendyNYC
02-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I now have my own stupid injury to add to the list! Last night I hurt my tailbone and golly, it smarts today. What happened, you ask? I'm not even telling, it's that ridiculous...

No fair! You have to tell!

Pat~
02-06-2008, 10:23 PM
No fair! You have to tell!

I second this.

KTC
02-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Probably gymnastics of some sort? Did you break the coffee table?

WendyNYC
02-06-2008, 10:27 PM

Old? Old, you say?! Nevah!

jannawrites
02-06-2008, 10:27 PM

My oldest does love to watch videos from my high school days in showchoir. You know, singing while dancing in 2-inch heels. Back when I had some form of coordination.

Wendy (okay, and Pat and KTC), let's just say I was goofin' around like I know better than to do, and I fell. It was only a couple feet from the air, but I landed smackdab on my tailbone. And I have ZERO padding back there. *youch!*

KTC
02-06-2008, 10:28 PM
When I was a kid, we tried to preface everything we did with, "WEEHAW!" I think my son's pretty much the same. You want to prove to them, Ray, that you still have it...not that you once had it.

maestrowork
02-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't have kids, I did try to show off one time at the slopes. I am a pretty good skier, but they had these new parabolic skis or something, and they were totally different from the straight skis I was used to. The kids I went with all took those newer skis. Well, I was being cocky so I chose those, too, but I didn't know the 160 went as fast as the straight 200. Needless to say, I went flying, on an icy slope no less. Broke my left hand (thank God it wasn't the right). The trouble was, I didn't even know I broke my hand so I didn't go to the doctor until 3 weeks later. It took over six months for that sucker to heal.

I did pretty well with the rollerblades, though.

KTC
02-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Yeah...I took to rollerblades pretty quickly too. I've been ice skating all my life, though. Same diff.

maestrowork
02-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Yeah...I took to rollerblades pretty quickly too. I've been ice skating all my life, though. Same diff.

Exactly. I couldn't roller skate, though. So I was surprised I could both ice skate and rollerblade.

TsukiRyoko
02-06-2008, 10:39 PM
One time my mom hurt herself with a shoe. She couldn't reach me with her hand, so she went to chuck her shoe at me, but I ducked. It hit the fan and ricocheted off the fan and smacked against her head :D

Pat~
02-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Exactly. I couldn't roller skate, though. So I was surprised I could both ice skate and rollerblade.

Probably because ice skating, skiing, and to some extent, roller blading are more about leaning on an edge. The skills cross over pretty easily.

Pat~
02-06-2008, 10:50 PM
My oldest does love to watch videos from my high school days in showchoir. You know, singing while dancing in 2-inch heels. Back when I had some form of coordination.

Wendy (okay, and Pat and KTC), let's just say I was goofin' around like I know better than to do, and I fell. It was only a couple feet from the air, but I landed smackdab on my tailbone. And I have ZERO padding back there. *youch!*

This thread should've been titled 'your most embarassing injury.' :D Ah the stories we could tell!

(I got a spectacularly embarrassing injury several years ago landing on my kazoo at the icerink. After that I started wearing a hip pad made from the same material that they use for the space shuttle to absorb impact. That worked pretty well--but unfortunately, it didn't prevent internal impact on the disk in my lower back.)

WendyNYC
02-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I need to put one of those hip pads down the back of my pants next time I try snowboarding. Last time, I ended up with a purple butt.

Pat~
02-06-2008, 11:14 PM
I need to put one of those hip pads down the back of my pants next time I try snowboarding. Last time, I ended up with a purple butt.

A link (http://waxelpad.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1) for you...;)

jannawrites
02-06-2008, 11:36 PM
A link (http://waxelpad.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1) for you...;)

Why, oh why didn't you show us this yesterday, Pat? I SO could have used the Waxel Tailbone Pad last night.

WendyNYC
02-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Sounds like you should wear them all the time, Janna.

jannawrites
02-06-2008, 11:41 PM
You know, Wendy, you may be onto something here...

WendyNYC
02-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Or how about something like this? (http://fabsugar.com/53524)

jannawrites
02-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Or how about something like this? (http://fabsugar.com/53524)

That's flippin' HILARIOUS! To think... I could be bootylicious!

maestrowork
02-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Ladies, there's always Depends...

quickWit
02-07-2008, 12:04 AM
I SO could have used the Waxel Tailbone Pad last night.

That's what she said.

jannawrites
02-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Ladies, there's always Depends...

:e2fight:

jannawrites
02-07-2008, 12:05 AM
That's what she said.

:e2fight:

Pat~
02-07-2008, 02:15 AM
Goodness, that 'bootylicious' lady looks like she's got a bad case of lordosis.

HeronW
02-07-2008, 02:32 AM
owie! Showing off for the kids...um, not a good idea?
RICE:
Rest:
The first 24-48 hours after the injury is considered a critical treatment period and activities need to be curtailed. Gradually use the injured extremity as much as tolerated, by try to avoid any activities that cause pain. Often using a splint, sling, or crutches is necessary to adequately rest the injured body part.

Ice:
For the first 48 hours post-injury, ice the sprain or strain 20 minutes at a time every 3-4 hours. The ice pack can be a bag of frozen vegetables (peas or corn), allowing you to be able to re-use the bag.

Another popular treatment method is to fill paper cups with water then freeze the cup. Use the frozen cube like an ice cream cone, peeling away paper as the ice melts. Do NOT ice a sprain or strain for more than 20 minutes at a time!! You will not be helping heal the injury any faster, and you can cause damage to the tissues! Learn how to ice an injury here...

Compression:
Use compression when elevating a sprain or strain in early treatment. Using an Ace bandage, wrap the area overlapping the elastic wrap by one-half of the width of the wrap. The wrap should be snug, but not cutting off circulation to the extremity. So, if your fingers or toes become cold, blue, or tingle, re-wrap!

Elevate:
Keep your sprain or strain as best possible--try to get it higher than your heart if possible. Elevate at night by placing pillows under your arm or leg.