Not open for further replies.

Rob-rite

A wanderer returning...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
robsweeney-singer.tumblr.com
Hi all

I'm interested to know peoples views/habits concerning music while they write.

At this moment I have AW in one window, Word in another and am listening to an album I got as a birthday pressie - Tourist by Athlete (really good incidently).

The point I'm making is: what are you listening to right now?
Do you prefer silence?
Does music help you or does it (like me) tend to hinder or distract you?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I always write in front of the TV... perhaps not a good habit but it stops me from getting bored and drifting away from writing.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I do prefer to listen to music, but since all my music is stored on my computer I tend to spend my writing time putting playlists together, which entirely defeats the object.
Silence is fine while I'm working, as long as I've made tea, fetched biscuits, sat down etc in silence. But if I'm listening to music when I start, and the music runs out, I find that kind of silence more distracting than just about anything else. So I usually just don't bother putting any on.

Hope that makes sense!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good question.

Most of the time I don't listen to music while I write. That is if I'm doing serious writing. I really need to concentrate on the words, and other words distract me.

One thing I do BEFORE writing some of my greeting cards is listen to music. People like Beth Nielsen Chapman, Eva Cassidy and Carly Simon. Love songs are perfect for getting the ideas going.

But if I'm writing an article or essay I have to concentrate. No music.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I love this question

My WIP is partly set in Peru and I find listening to Andean music gets me in the right mindset. But I can't have words. If the music has words, it distracts me entirely! So, if I listen to anything it's instrumental, like classical. Songs in a foreign language are the worst for me, I spend all my brain power on translating them and not writing. So no Puccini for me if I'm writing.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I'm with you, Rhymegirl. Music with no words is nice at times, but I can't concentrate at all if I'm listening to music. The words tend to get in the way of each other.

If I'm working on something light however, non-obtrusive noise in the background can actually help.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to be the odd one out--I need quiet to write well. Even music without vocals, music that fits the tone or mood of whatever I'm working on, is too distracting. I can handle the wind chimes, but that's about it.

(And I'm facing a blank wall, not a window, above my monitor.)

Maryn, easily distracted

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I usually don't listen to music when I write -- too distracting. But before or after I like jazz, light classical, movie soundtracks, classic rock or trance, depending on the mood.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need absolute silence, except for the little program I have that makes my computer sound like an old typewriter. One of our AW regulars (sorry, I can't remember who or I would give credit where credit is due) suggested it some time back, and I love it. It's called Noisy Keyboard.

One caveat: I have found that it causes CorelDraw and Corel PhotoPaint to crash, but right-clicking on the Noisy Keyboard tray icon and unchecking it before running those programs solves the problem. I haven't had any other trouble with it.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
For my WIP set in Civil War era New York, I listen to music from that era...helps to get me in the mood so to speak.

For my WIP concerning firefighting, I listen to country music because that is what we listen to at the station.

Brady H.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Mine doesn't work that way. Everytime I type, it keeps repeating the wrong letter to me: I M O K, U R E Z, I P
It's just sad how long it took me to get that...

I L B C N U ! (Stolen from an AlphaBits box)

Maryn

Wandering Sensei

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
At some jobs they'd let us listen to CDs, which helped make the time--if not go faster, at least be less maddeningly boring. But when I'm working on my own stuff at home, I prefer the silence of my apartment, although sometimes I have the TV on in the other room, mainly as background noise.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I like Rachmaninoff too, but my current obsession is Mahler's 5th. I can't get enough.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
Saritams8 said:
I like Rachmaninoff too, but my current obsession is Mahler's 5th. I can't get enough.

Have you ever seen Dr. Zhivago? My favorite line is when they are at the concert and one of the characters says "It's genius." Her husband says "Really? I thought it was Rachmaninoff."

ha ha ha ha ha

Quite a funny line in my opinion. (The character was a Doctor friend of Zhivago as I recall)

Brady H.

Wandering Sensei

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
What I listen to, btw, is usually Irish or Celtic music. Sometimes I listen to classical (love Bach), sometimes to stuff like the Doobie Brothers or Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
I love listening to music all the time. I typically have several screens going while I write, one of them a music player.

:) I have Shinedown going today while I write.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I can't work in complete silence. I also hate annoying noises (rustling, whistling, tapping). However, I do quite like working to music, or occasionally a tv in the background. I can listen to most music, except dance music. Evil dance music. *shudders*

Mostly listen to rock stuff or what I call 'wail-y women' (i.e. singer songerwriter types).

Status
Not open for further replies.